MalMac

Fight won of many to come

MalMac

Been trying to get a froze hitch pin out (like we have never heard that one before have we gang lol.) finally got the pin to rotate in the transmission. The crazy thing is froze in the slot hitch. So the first battle of the war was won. Now just cut the pin between the case and the hitch and the war should swing in my favor. There should be some kind of a medal for all of the guys and gals that have fought this war and won and survived. Drilling, air chiseling, sawing, etc. takes a toll on the ol arms. Not to mention the desire to just say _ _ _ _ it , and just walk away. But we all keep at it till the war is won. This particular one has been a tuffy so far and looks like it will fight to the bitter end.

• Like 9

rjg854

I just got the pin out of the transmission on the 854 I just bought, a battle indeed, but I won, and as luck would have it, I didn't break anything else in the process, SWEET!  Someone had cut the pin off on both ends and left the rest of it stuck there in the transmission.  I had drilled some holes in the mounting area and kept soaking it with PBblaster for quite some time before I started to try to get the pin out.  With a 1/4" bit I drilled 80% of the way thru the pin, and then used a 1/2" bit and chased the first hole with that.  I kept the hole close to the cast of the transmission to relieve the stress of the pin all the way around.  A couple of days of beating on it, heating it, soaking over and over, I managed to win the battle.  I just got a pin and lift cable from wheelhorseman, and a slot hitch from Jake Kuhn, thanks guys, and very soon the 854 should be able to pull something again.

• Like 9

MalMac

That's just too much. I'd like to thank the frozen hitch pin academy.  If weren't for the lack of lube on this pin by the by prior owners way down the line, this award would not be possible. Thank you, thank you very much.

• Like 7

Ed Kennell

Brings back nightmares.post-7208-0-81603700-1413208200.jpg   post-7208-0-56259000-1413208300.jpg  post-7208-0-19863800-1413208324.jpg

• Like 6

doc724

I had a similar problem last year getting out a rear hitch out of a C101 that I was restoring.  Lots of Kroil and heat and banging with a 1/2 diameter rod and it finally came loose.  A PO had also cut off the ends  before I got it.  I do like Ed's idea of a couple of access holes to let the Kroil or PB Blaster get inside to do its work.  I will have to write that one down for future reference.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'm liking this thread already.  I love the trophy cup.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

squonk

We need like 4 or 5 frozen pins at the big show. We can have a strong man competition. We already have the MC and I'll be a heckler! :)

• Like 3

cleat

Make the holes the right size (#3) and then you can tap them to 1/4" NF and screw in grease fittings afterwards.

The C-160 that I bought then sold to my neighbor came with a grease fitting there and the pin just slid out.

Cleat

• Like 8

MalMac

The shop is quite now. No more sounds of  a BFH, the sounds of a saws-all or noise of a air chisel. Gone are the few choice well used swear words. The battlefield is silent, the battle over the war won. I stand here triumphant with my surrendered enemy, the frozen hitch pin in hand. This is just not a lone victory but a victory for all Red Square members that have faced this battle and for all who will face it again, and for all who will face it for the first time. That there is hope in determination to face down this dreaded enemy that stands in are way of the perfect transmission rebuild.

Talk about laying on the BS. Lol, Anyway it's out! Time to celebrate.

• Like 4

dclarke

Some of those pins can be a real bear, Glad you got it out, Tim. 

MalMac

Denny I have done a bunch of these, but this one was the worst. I'll be honest I was starting to think it just might not happen. A lot of blaster and patience and a few choice words. I might have to go apologize to the neighbors down the road. I am sure they heard me.

• Like 1

cleat

I had two stuck, one quite bad. I heated it with a torch which helped a bit. Hard to heat that large mass.

My biggest fear was cracking the rear end someplace but fortunately that did not happen.

I make up new pins from Stainless steel then grease or never-seize them.

Just taking them out from time to time should help as well.

Cleat

• Like 3

pfrederi

When all else fails remove the tranny take a sawzall and cut along the seam of the tranny halves through the pin.  There is enough casting left to still seal the case if you stop at the edge of the pin.  The you can split the tranny and put it into a 20 ton press to push out the pin.  Worked for me.

• Like 3

mmmmmdonuts

In order for me to win the battle I drilled out the pin. I managed to step up the size (7/16" or 1/2" Maybe? ) until I got most of it out. Then I proceded to get a hacksaw blade in there and saw it in half from opposite sides. I kept liberally applying pb blaster and then I managed to get a chisel and pound the piece out. The only thing that you need to be careful of is not cutting too deep with the hack saw making noticeable marks because it is tough to see in there.

IMG_20151023_174504995.jpg

Edited by mmmmmdonuts
Added last sentence
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:    :text-goodpost:    :thanks:      DONUT

Never tried that one, but I will the next time.     Looks like a sure fire way without breaking anything.    The same way we remove frozen exhaust nipples  from the block. 

• Like 1

rjg854
On 12/28/2015 at 5:22 AM, Ranger13148 said:

I just got the pin out of the transmission on the 854 I just bought, a battle indeed, but I won, and as luck would have it, I didn't break anything else in the process, SWEET!  Someone had cut the pin off on both ends and left the rest of it stuck there in the transmission.  I had drilled some holes in the mounting area and kept soaking it with PBblaster for quite some time before I started to try to get the pin out.  With a 1/4" bit I drilled 80% of the way thru the pin, and then used a 1/2" bit and chased the first hole with that.  I kept the hole close to the cast of the transmission to relieve the stress of the pin all the way around.  A couple of days of beating on it, heating it, soaking over and over, I managed to win the battle.  I just got a pin and lift cable from wheelhorseman, and a slot hitch from Jake Kuhn, thanks guys, and very soon the 854 should be able to pull something again.

So this is what the pin looked like after I finally was able to get it out,  

0101161219.thumb.jpg.c5b0efdb1803d677196

and then the result of a new slot hitch, pin, and a lift cable. A big thanks to Jake Kuhn for the slot hitch and Wheelhorseman for the pin and cable 0101161217c.thumb.jpg.f43f7ab40cc19957e3

Double picture 

0101161217b.jpg

Don't know why the pictures are upside down and can't see how to rotate them :wacko:

Edited by Ranger13148

rick

Good deal! I put a slot hitch on my C-100, I didn't have any trouble with the hitch pin, though.

Lane Ranger

One of the things we have done  when removing an old pin in a Wheel Horse transmission is change the pin to a hitch pin.     TSC  sells these  6 3/4  long hitch pins that will fit in the transmission in the rear so you can change hitches and/or remove them.   You can barely see it in this photo but the  Wheel Horse 1054 tractor in this picture has a hitch pin in it.    The hitch pin has a handle on one side and a hole for a cotter key or push pin on the other side.   

But of course you do have to get the old pin out first  and as they say "Life's not a picnic" !

gallery_339_37_874186.jpg

• Like 1