Ed Kennell

All Eagle Nest Watchers...The're Baaaack

Ed Kennell

I am guessing the egg that did hatch was probably the second egg laid.  The 35 day incubation period would have been correct.  If this is true, the first egg is way overdue to hatch.

rmaynard

Mama took the dead baby over to the side of the nest and went back to sitting on the egg. Sad.

baby.png

WHX??

Looks to be breezy this morning, one gone:no: one overdue, got a bad feeling about this...hopefully I'm wrong.  Wonder what could have happened to the first one, looked pretty healthy and eating...:confusion-shrug:

Ed Kennell

I also am concerned the other egg may not hatch.    I did read a report that one "watcher" saw the chick get bumped when Mamma was trying to remove the limb that had fallen across the nest during the high winds.  

Digger 66

Terrible news for mamma & pop .

Nature can be tough to watch :(

Ed Kennell

Still sitting on the other egg.          Look at the size of this nest.original.jpg

AMC RULES

Will be interesting to see if post #172 comes true. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

I also read where a dead nestling will deflate quickly and become nest lining. Mamma thought differently. She picked him up and dropped him over near the side. I guess you can't believe all you read.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Poor mamma. The wind is gusting about 50 MPH and sticks and branches are falling all over her. She is doing her best to try to move the debris while trying to protect an egg that more than likely won't hatch. Nature really is hard to watch. :omg:

branches.png

And now. if that isn't enough, it's starting to sleet and snow. 

Ed Kennell

Yeah, I think I'm about to lose power here.  Trees are coming down.      The poor girl has really taken a beating with this wind.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nobody there on the nest this morning...  :confusion-shrug:

4-3-16.jpg

...completely different from the what we woke up to here this morning.  :wacko:

IMG_5063.JPG

Edited by AMC RULES

rmaynard

She's done a lot of housekeeping over night. When i went to bed at 11:00, she was covered with branches and ice.

953 nut

I checked in from time to time yesterday and she was off the nest several times.

Ed Kennell

She is back on the egg now.

rmaynard

After a night like last night, with the branches falling, wind blowing, and a frozen wintry mix falling on her, I would not blame her if she gives up. She flies off and leaves the egg unattended for longer periods of time now. Don't know which egg is left, but either one would be way, way over due.

WHX??

Do they drop an egg(s) if the first ones don't hatch? Just crazy weather this year I'm sure is not helping.

Ed Kennell

Good question Jim.  I don't know the answer, but  I know the Great Blue Herons that nest over my camp in Delaware will relay if the eggs are destroyed.    The crows usually eat some of the Heron eggs.   I've  noticed they usually hatch 3-4 eggs and there is a lot of competition for food with 1-2 of the chicks getting pushed out of the nest before they can fly.

Wild turkey will also lay a second clutch of 10-14 eggs.  The turkey  lay theirs on the ground and are if they are found will be eaten by the fox, raccoon and skunk. 

Or is that spelled Sqounk.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Quite a nest full there Jim.  It'll be interesting to see if all 3 survive or if a "runt" gets pushed out as happens with the Herons.  Survival of the fittest....natural selection.

WHX??

Agreed Ed ...some of the best dogs I have had were runts tho!!

There was some other  interesting tidbits about eagles there as well...good read...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Has Momma decided to abandon the nest?  :scratchead:

4-5-16.jpg

Ed Kennell

I think they have also realized the egg is not going to hatch.    I hope a predator finds the egg soon so they can move on and get healthy for next year.

953 nut

Just checked and mama is back on the nest, guess she hasn't given up yet.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

She just refuses to give up.

• Like 1