buell99

D160 Trans fluid

buell99

Hello, 

I just aquired my 1st horse, a D160.  Does the transmission take 10W-30?  Same fluid run the hydraulics also?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

tommyg

10W-30 is correct. And yes, the same fluid runs the hydraulics. Congrats on your first horse! The D's are beasts when they're running 100%! Make sure you post some pics.

buell99

Any preferences on what brand of oil?  Wanna change the fluids a few times to clean it out.  I will definitely get some pics up.  

pfrederi

I would go with Walmart oil the first time and then replace it with better quality for the second fill. Unless the oil in there is nasty one flush should be sufficient.

buell99

Thanks for the suggestions.  Im itching to get the fluids changed and some fresh gas in this beast.  

tommyg

I ended up putting synthetic in mine in the end. Less of a tendency to thicken up in the cold.

• Like 1

buell99

What brand do you perfer?  

JackC

Straight from the horses arse.  

This is the maintenance sticker on the rear of my 1978 D-200.

Many seem to prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic.  

Some believe the synthetics will leak through seals easier and believe it may be better to stay with dyno based oils for the older machines.

PA251478.thumb.JPG.05750a6fd2e4f8909e504

tommyg
2 hours ago, JackC said:

Many seem to prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic.  

Some believe the synthetics will leak through seals easier and believe it may be better to stay with dyno based oils for the older machines.

That's what I'm using right now. But only because Autozone had a great deal on it. I haven't experienced any issues with synthetic. I'm not sure if they were even available back in the 70's like they are today.