HorseFixer

Has Anyone Went Solar? I am Starting

Coadster32

Wonder if you'll be looking into a Tesla wall someday. Prices are too high right now.

C-85

My wife and I looked into this and our land and house weren't a good match for solar.:no:

We were still interested in solar and then learned about an off site plan.  In Vermont (maybe other states too) they have a plan that you can invest in an off site array, so we've recently done it.  The array that we were set up with is on the other side of the state from where we are and we haven't even seen it yet.  This is supposed to help us in that our power company is also involved and will buy the power from this array, which is supposed to be about equal to what our power bill is, so we're going to come out about even.  The array company (Sun Common) guarantees that this won't cost us any additional funds.  We're new to this, so we'll see, but it should work out well.  In the meantime maybe we've helped save the planet!:)  :occasion-santa:

HorseFixer
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 1:30 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

I'm confused. If the power goes out, the solar panels stop producing power?

10- dash 4 ROGER THAT!  Brian the inverter shuts down, Yeah it would be nice to save that energy somehow but then you are getting into batteries and other things that can make the costs go up dramatically. But as many times as the power goes out here (which is not that often) I decided to keep it simple and do the Grid Tie with the micro-inverters. Start out with the 3000KW system and take it up to 8K if need be. I am curious to see how it performer's this summer. From there will tell me if I need to invest further or Chit Can the whole Idea or not. I think if I can cut my bill in 1/3 or 1/2 of what is was with what I spent it will be good.  I had to take part of a tree out just to my east 2 HUGE LIMBS  that reached over my property 40' and looked like it was gonna fall on my shed so that cost me an extra $500.00 but the tree is not long for this world as dead as it was inside, The tree trimmer guys says it has less than 2 years till it falls in their yard now that all the weight has been taking off leaning twords my property.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Something is wrong with that tree it has TERMITES or something.

~Duke

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, HorseFixer said:

10- dash 4 ROGER THAT!  Brian the inverter shuts down, Yeah it would be nice to save that energy somehow but then you are getting into batteries and other things that can make the costs go up dramatically. But as many times as the power goes out here (which is not that often) I decided to keep it simple and do the Grid Tie with the micro-inverters. Start out with the 3000KW system and take it up to 8K if need be. I am curious to see how it performer's this summer. From there will tell me if I need to invest further or Chit Can the whole Idea or not. I think if I can cut my bill in 1/3 or 1/2 of what is was with what I spent it will be good.  I had to take part of a tree out just to my east 2 HUGE LIMBS  that reached over my property 40' and looked like it was gonna fall on my shed so that cost me an extra $500.00 but the tree is not long for this world as dead as it was inside, The tree trimmer guys says it has less than 2 years till it falls in their yard now that all the weight has been taking off leaning twords my property.    Something is wrong with that tree it has TERMITES or something.

~Duke

I forgot you were only selling the power back, so it makes more sense now

• Like 1

Coadster32

IMO...I don't think the $500 for the tree limb removal was an extra cost to the project if they would have caused you certain grief in a few short years to come.

My neighbors tree is a home wrecker for certain. It will cost me $1k now to get rid of it, (my 1/2 cost split 50/50 with him), or wait until it comes down on my house, displacing my family for a year while repairs get done to our home, all against our homeowners insurance, and a higher that 1k deductible. Seems silly not to do it, but I can't really add this to the cost of our solar project...or even a re-roofing project for that matter. 

• Like 3

HorseFixer

Yeah I guess it needed to be done anyways. But I could not have installed the panels with a 40' limb looming over my Solar Panels and shed. I most likely prevented a lot of headaches and aggravation by being proactive.  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

gtofani

Awesome set up, very detailed. You do great work.

HorseFixer

Well here is the FINISHED product. I ordered 20 more now or a total of 32 and changed the Pitch on all of them to 32 Degrees which is the best all around for my location. The past 5 days I have purchased -0- zero electricity from the grid and have banked 40 KWh. life is good!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

DSCN9503.jpg

DSCN9504.jpg

DSCN9505.jpg

DSCN9506.jpg

• Like 6

roadapples

Nice job...:handgestures-thumbupright:     At that rate, how long will it take to pay for itself?

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

Makes a nice lean to shed, too. :)

• Like 2

HorseFixer
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Nice job...:handgestures-thumbupright:     At that rate, how long will it take to pay for itself?

I use approx. $2500.00 in Electricity a year. Way more than the AVG Person  but I have 18 Security Cameras rolling 24/7, My Wife's 3,000 gal Pond and waterfall that's running, Plus I weld and am in my Garage a Bunch So I use more than the Avg Guy. I have Spent  a Total of $17,000.00 for this project. IRVING "R: SHYSTER is giving me a 30% Tax credit so I will get $5,100.00 Back so that leaves me a Bal of $11,900.00 So lets call it 12,000.00 / 2,500.00 <<< what I spend per year = 4.8 years Now if I have a surplus that will cut it even further because they will have to pay me for the Extra I make.  I have done the Math and that's a 18-20% Return on my money. What Bank will give me that kinda return? on my $$$$ MONEY $$$$?????  It's kinda a NO BRAINER. Besides what does an Ole Retired Guy have to do?  :)

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Looks great Bob!!!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Thanks Dino!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Been Busy this Summer 4 Sure! 

wh500special
1 hour ago, HorseFixer said:

...Besides what does an Ole Retired Guy have to do?  :)

Go fishin'?

😎

• Like 2

Abe01
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

I was thinking about this, this morning. It's not just how long until each dollar is replaced, my electric bill is around 275 a month......what's the value of having that amount more available to you? That's like getting a $2 raise!