kingnothing71us

Making Wider Rear Rims

kingnothing71us

I tried putting a 2X8 on the tire and driving my car on it, no luck. JAinVA, I don't have a log splitter instead, I used a couple of my larger F style Bessey clamps and some flat bar I had laying around and finally got the beads broke. I'll remove the tires tomorrow and wire wheel as much of the rim as I can then have the rest blasted. My plans for actually starting on them on Monday doesn't seem likely now. I'd much rather have a nice clean rim to work with. Hopefully I can get them blasted early this week and get to cutting, grinding, and welding by the end of the week. I appreciate all the feed back and ideas from every one. This first set may be 11" wide from lip to lip on the rim.

ekennel, since you're probably the closest and may be interested in a set, is there a certain size you would like? I could make this first set for you. Let me know. 

• Like 1

98layinframe

Why not just take it to your local tire shop? Doubt they'd charge ya more then 5 bucks.

Don1977

Kelly made some wide rims using wide rims, they may have been John Deere. Drilled out the spot welds, welded the holes shut and moved the center over and welded them.

kingnothing71us

I don't think that would be considered making wider rims, thats moving the center of the rim to give a different offset. I'm cutting the rim, adding a section and welding everything back together. I think I'm going to TIG weld them for maximum strength. 

• Like 2

Brian01

Sounds like more work than what its worth to me.in my opinion, I would buy a spair set of hubs, drill the lug holes out, find a pair of wide wheels off a car or whatever, with the same bolt pattern, run bolts with nuts for lugs n call her good....that way whenever you decide to put regular wheels back on, change hubs and back to norm.

98layinframe

Where can ya find 12" diameter 10" wide vehicle wheels?  Ya can order 15x10 wheels rather easily, but then you stuck running automotive  tires and not to much there in a 24" diameter.. as far as I know anyways? 

I ask cause I was considering do with with my dad's tractor, running deep dish reverse  15x8 wheels and then just some aggressive  studded winter tires on his plowing unit.  But I'm guessing you'd still need chains.

Edited by 98layinframe
  • Like 1

Brian01

I'm sure you can buy some wheels that size somewhere, probably in the go cart/atv/small rail car racing world

roadapples

They can be found if you`ve got deep pockets

• Like 1

Brian01

IMHO, would be money well spent, by the time you build a pair, labor, materials etc. Gonna be about the same, plus if you buy a set, they aren't homemade, will be well balanced etc

Thor27

Balanced?  how fast is your horse? :ychain:  The OP is a fabricator with a tig so "homemade" shouldn't be an issue.  

I'd be very interested in seeing a write up when you do this. How do you plan on making the cuts?

I did quite a bit of searching for a wide wheel to fit a horse, For any later model with a tank under the seat I believe you are making them or widening them if you want anything wider than the 520 wheel, or using a large spacer.  I watched Stigian's video, and liked his result but rolling the filler pieces did not fit in my skill set, or available tools. I wanted 12" wide but settled for the 10" blanks available from miller. The blanks, centers, and shipping come to just under $100. a wheel un welded, with value of your time I doubt you will beat the price, but if you can make them wider you will certainly own a nitch market.  I applaud your effort and look foreword to seeing the result.

• Like 2

kingnothing71us

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's the jig I made to hold the grinder. Since I work in a metal shop, materials cost me nothing and my time is free, when I have it. So I think I'll be making out ok making my own wider rims. I think I'm going for the 12" width. That'll be from outside lip to outside lip. My surgery to have my finger removed to the 2nd knuckle is scheduled for the 28th. Lunch is over, time to get back to the grind. Have a good day. 

• Like 4

roadapples

Good luck with the surgery, keep us posted..

• Like 1

Aldon

For GT14's and if I recall the 1054's which have 15 inch rims, it's impossible to find an Ag tire other than the ones which are like 7.6 wide that fit the rim.

There are wider Ag tires that are a bit taller profile. 

I would be be interested in widening a pair of rear wheels by splitting rim and widening without changing the offset. If I am using correct term. There is no room on the inside of wheel/tire. All widening would need to be towards the outer side.

Message me if you decide to provide such a service. I have a spare set of rims waiting for me to get the time to do so myself. Having someone else do the job is an attractive option with most of the next year wrapped up in finishing resto of GT14.

AMC RULES

How'd the surgery go...

make any progress on your rims yet? 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I believe that JD 12" rims for the 445-455 tractors are 10.5" wide (M119390). It would be a lot easier just getting a pair of those.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt?search=model&PartsAdvisorMobileUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fpartsadvisormobile.deere.com%3Flocale%3Den-US&model=445

kingnothing71us

AMC Rules, surgery went good. I went back to work this past monday. I didnt cut the rims yet, the rollers that I crushed my fingers in are down due to safety upgrades. As soon as they are up and running I can roll the strips to size then cut the rims and get them back together. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 3

kingnothing71us

shallowwatersailor, I could buy rims but, I'm mainly doing it to see if I can do it. I would like to put 10.5 wide tires on my tractor and use wider rims to do it. My friend has the 10.5" tires on his 7" rims and they hold fine. I like the the tire to fit the rim right.

• Like 2

Martin

Just keep in mind that all 10.5 tires are not created equal, literally......

They vary quite a lot in width. I have some old Goodyear 23 x 10.5-12  tires on my 416-H 7" rims and they fit like a 23 x 8.5-12 tire does. My son also has 23 x 10.5-12 Duro tires on the standard 875 7" rims......

The original Carlisle 23 x 10.5-12 on my Workhorse 1848 (on WH 8.5 rims) would never fit like the Goodyears or Duro do on the 7" rims. There is a good 2" difference in width between the two. That is just 2 examples, there are also the Deestone that also come to mind that are also way off what the old Carlisle true sizes were.......

I would think you would have a hard time mounting any of the smaller size 10.5 tires on any truly wider (10+ inches) rims. Some of them (Duro comes to mind) are hard enough getting to mount correctly on the standard 12 x 8.5 rim.

Edited by Martin

kingnothing71us

Well guys, I finally got the time to cut the rims and roll the strip of metal and get the rims back together. I have one rim completely welded, the other rim is just tacked together. I did TIG weld it back together, makes a stronger weld and less to grind. I plan on blending the welds, having the rims blasted and then paint them. I am aiming to make the rims look like they belong this wide with out any telltale signs of the addition of a strip of steel. The rims were 7 inches wide, they are now 10 inches wide. image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 6

Digger 66

I'd just sandblast them & paint them .

That leaves the "I-made-it" factor there . The quality workmanship speaks for itself . :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Looks really good.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

clip

First time I saw this process was on YouTube, guy made a pretty handy platform to cut the wheels.

• Like 2

82Caddy

That's actually StigIan on here. He has a bunch of cool videos and tractors.

RedRanger
On 4/30/2016 at 4:20 AM, Digger 66 said:

I'd just sandblast them & paint them .

That leaves the "I-made-it" factor there . The quality workmanship speaks for itself . :handgestures-thumbupright:

Leave them welds!  Looking good!

clip
18 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

That's actually StigIan on here. He has a bunch of cool videos and tractors.

He turns out quite a bit of cool stuff!

• Like 1