WNYPCRepair

Deck storage, any solutions?

WNYPCRepair

concept.thumb.jpg.276554c1adf424f51bf593

concept1.thumb.jpg.5973dadbb86577d789f8d

Worked for a little while this morning, Changed the design yet again from what I was thinking last night. Designing it to be portable is challenging.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I only have 4 decks loose, the rest are on the tractors. The loose ones are 2 on dollies, 2 in the shed standing up into the wall, leaning. Good as I can do right now.  Oh Brian, re heat in garage, 60 thousand btu, modine hot dawg heater, ceiling hung, natural gas.

Glenn

• Like 1

mikekot3

How would you make your rack mobile? I was thinking of welding plates to the bottom of the uprights and adding casters. Is there a set of racks available already setup for this not just the crappy ones you see for 100 dollars with wimpy casters? At work we have racks from U-line.com and seem real strong and we use them for storing pallets of stuff about 20 feet high.

WNYPCRepair
20 minutes ago, mikekot3 said:

How would you make your rack mobile? I was thinking of welding plates to the bottom of the uprights and adding casters. Is there a set of racks available already setup for this not just the crappy ones you see for 100 dollars with wimpy casters? At work we have racks from U-line.com and seem real strong and we use them for storing pallets of stuff about 20 feet high.

These racks were originally 21 feet tall, I cut them into three 7' sections. I could put casters on the bottom, though they would need to be really heavy duty. I don't need it to be mobile, I just want to be able to take it apart and move it, because it will be too heavy to move while assembled, so if I weld everything together, it will be a permanent fixture wherever I finish it. :) 

mikekot3

WNYPCrepair thank you for the feedback on your project.

shallowwatersailor
On 12/23/2015 at 8:22 AM, doc724 said:

John, I like your dolly idea.  Pretty creative.  Would have been useful for garage storage before I built the shed addition.  With all the extra shed space, I store them all vertically against the wall and tie them off with rope.

Doc, I can't take credit for the idea as I saw it on a different forum. I did refine it a bit. It is also handy for working on the underside. I can scrape and paint it then wheel it around, as needed, and come back later for a second coat.

I have used it for a 42" to 52" deck. A 60" deck will need some additional reinforcing due to the additional weight.

DSCN1788.thumb.JPG.ba051d9e431419875df98DSCN1791.thumb.JPG.9f129e42a0c7ea73cf7d6

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

It was warm enough, and I had time, to work on this a bit today. Made the pulley brackets, mounted the hoist, welded the lift bar together, and did a trial run to test my concept. 

My beads are getting better, even with flux core. :)

bead.thumb.JPG.35b1ae2e65d3e3b05b20f6697

The pulley brackets

pulleys.thumb.JPG.60198eace640bd9400ef7c

I was all proud of myself for remembering to put the pulley brackets on the lift bar before I welded the ends on. I was short 1 pulley, so I put an extra bracket on. 

568ed8b3b8de7_missingpulley.thumb.JPG.67

Unfortunately, I forgot to put the bolts in for the pulley, and you can't get them in after it is on the lift bar, so I had to cut the weld loose, remove the bracket, add the pulley bolts, reassemble and weld the end back on. Grr...

The lift bar, temporarily set up for proof of concept test.

568ed906977d5_rackwithpulleys.thumb.JPG.

I am uploading a video of it lifting to you tube, will post when it is done

The test video. It goes crooked since there is no weight on it and I am short 2 pulleys, after I get a deck and the other pulleys on it, it should stay relatively level as it rises.

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Well, I finally got some time to play around in the shop. The storage rack works, looks like I will have room for 4 to 5 decks. So far I have 2 shelves built, and decks lifted and stored. The rack is solid as a rock. I was planning on bolting it to the floor, but I don't think I need to. 

60" and 52" xi decks loaded.

56b6825ca51b0_rackpic2decks.thumb.JPG.9e

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:roll:  Hey...nice rack Brian.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:roll:  Hey...nice rack Brian.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

That's twice  heard that tonight. :)

PaulC

That is a nice rack you built Brian! I have been plagued by this problem like so many of us for the past few years as well. This past October i finally pulled the trigger on expanding my garage, went from 24' x 22' to 24' x 42'. The garage had a hip roof before so i decided to rip the whole thing off and go to gable ends. Considering i replaced the entire roof i was able to have my trusses built so they had a 2x6 bottom board and a large opening right in the center so i would have the ability to store pretty much whatever i could get up there, with decks, lawn equipment, snowblowers and plows in mind. So after my final inspection i cut a small section out of the bottom board on the center truss and braced it off so i have a nice sized opening to get to the upper level. I scored a 500lb winch from work a few years ago when i first attempted to lift my snowblower up into the rafters on my old hip roof garage, didnt work out so well. Anyway the winch came in handy as i mounted it to a trolley and track that i got from my dad that is used as a continuous hanging line for the powder coating line at his work. Now i can get heavy items up off the floor and into the rafters pretty easily. I installed about 17 feet of track so i lift from the center of the garage and can get stuff pretty close to the back wall. I lifted 4 rims and tires from my truck, my lawn sweeper and 4 decks up there in an hour or two and havent tripped over them once this winter. Come summer time ill pull all that stuff down, take the chutes off the blowers and them and the plow will take other stuffs place.

Here are two pictures of everything thats up there nowIMG_1458.thumb.jpg.473492418fe0839df2cccIMG_1459.thumb.jpg.316742b9c58846adbcdf6

And here is a video of me loading a deck.

IMG_1456.3gp

This video shows it much better

IMG_1457.3gp

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I can't do that, my office is above my garage. :)