Wheelhorse Fanatic

312-8 brakes surging

Wheelhorse Fanatic

Hello all, I have a 312-8 and slight problem with the braking system... As my last wheelhorse didn't have brakes I want to make sure this one does rolling down the side of the mountain is only fun for the first ten feet. Anyways my brakes currently work well for the tractor or tractor with a heavy load behind but the problem is is that if I try and brake lightly it surges and rips the lawn that I always replace.:angry-cussingwhite:  Is there a way I can correct the problem with out buying new band or drum?  There pretty costly... At least to me they are. Thought about using a piece of pvc with sand paper around to sand the band down a little bit because I don't think the drum would warp would it?

Ed Kennell

It sounds to me like the brake linkage may need adjusted or the release spring replaced.   It is very unusual for the brakes to grab so tight that it is sliding the wheels.    No, The drum is probably not warped, but check to make sure it is smooth and not broken.    A rough area or a piece missing could cause the brake to lock up.

Oh ,  :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:and:wwp:

• Like 2

Wheelhorse Fanatic

It only locks up solid if I stomp on it but if I'm just trying to slow down slowly it seems to surge pretty bad, I had apart once before and the band has a few cracks in it but as far as I'm aware that is normal for brake bands, shoes and pads. As far as the drum that seemed smooth and pretty problem free

953 nut
12 hours ago, Wheelhorse Fanatic said:

rolling down the side of the mountain is only fun for the first ten feet

:WRS:    I didn't know NJ had mountains! The brakes on a :wh: and many other garden tractors stop the transmission and the differential will make the tire with the least traction stop, could be what is happening. Sanding the pad on the brake band couldn't hurt.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse Fanatic

I'll have to try it I suppose and mountain galore! I live on the back side of one so the fist day I brought it home I went up no problem but coming down was another story, one tire locked up other one was helpless:snooty:. So that day is the way I decided that someday soon I was going to weld the spider gears together in the diff to make posi rear. SO glad I did! Been able to accomplish every hard task better and do double the work safer not to mention snowplowing and dozing is a breeze:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

JC 1965

:WRS:

• Like 1

953 nut

I have been to the Bridgeport and Vineland  areas of NJ, never saw any mountains and figured the whole state was fairly flat. Looks like you are in the Catskills.

One thing that may help your brakes out would be to load your tires with RV Antifreeze and or use wheel weights, better traction.

Edited by 953 nut

rmaynard

Although I have temporarily shut down my vendor stores due to back surgery, I sell replacement brake linings. For RedSquare members they are $20.00 delivered. Just PM me if you are interested and I will get my wife to pack one up for you.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4