Rollerman

WheelHorse difficulties.....

Rollerman

For the most part I'm able to do most of the work on my Horse's without help, or I'll make a phone call to someone who can explain it to me when I overthink things.

I can repair a Kohler single, tear into a carb, work on the transmissions, do some light welding, handle my own wiring....but some things I still & will always struggle with.

Painting & or body work.

I've never been happy with any of my paint jobs, no I don't use a spray gun....just rattle can.

Spray guns seem hopelessly complicated to me, mixing paint & or hardener.

This may be more of a patience thing than ability.

I've had my best results with Valspar IH Red in rattle can...but TSC no longer carries that brand.

Points.....maybe it's my cave man sized hands & or my 47 year old eyes, but I really struggle adjusting points.

They are in an awkward to get to place (when on the tractor) & always seem to be at the wrong gap after I snug them down.

Why am I writing this?

I know others in the hobby who find painting & points simple or enjoyable, but won't touch a Carter N carb or a transmission because they feel it's above there skill level & will be in over there heads if they try to do it.

So I'm curious what you other Red Square members may struggle with, find easy & enjoyable to work on where another may not.

Or any tips or tricks that can help others.

My biggest tip, a clean tractor, clean work space & lot's of light always helps when making repairs.

• Like 8

Shynon

I in my opinion can handle most anything with my Wheel Horse's. I enjoy rebuilding Kohler's and feel great excitement when I hear them run again.:handgestures-thumbupright: Also enjoy hours in front of the blast cabinet watching paint fly off. So most anything is enjoyable. I like to use them also, spent a lot of hours pulling a 1 bottom plow. :woohoo:

My weakness if probably electrical, and anytime I get an empty spot in the garage another one follows me home(Got to save them).

• Like 7

SylvanLakeWH

I need step by steps with a lot of pictures. After multiple times, I can usually then knock it out. Not a mechanic / machine shop guy, so I need someone else to put it together (i.e. WH at the plant), let me take it apart when it breaks, replace what needs to be replaced (with a clear part number), and then put it back together, step by step...

Paint isn't my thing either but the more I do the more I realize most time needs to be spent on the non-paint steps - prep, prep, prep...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 7

JPWH

Very interesting points by all. I'm in the same boat. I don't like to be greasy and oily so motors and transmissions are a set aside and get my mind right projects. My problem is putting things back together the way they came apart.  With the internet and the manuals available from this site along with all the great people with knowledge and willingness to share I feel that whatever may stump me along the way can be overcome. Of coarse my son who owns his own small engine repair shop bails me out plenty. Painting is my main weakness. I keep practicing to improve.

The main tip I can offer from my experience is patience and lots of it. I was taught at a young age that shortcuts is a fast track to a bad end result.

• Like 5

Tankman

Eventually, I get most any needed work done.

My thought, "Hey, we're not making watches."  :ph34r:

• Like 3

Horse46

I only start things I think I can't make any worse!

• Like 2

WH nut

My biggest strength is I can fix anything. My weakest is selling off a horse after I fix it.

• Like 5

TDF5G

I'm usually capable of doing all my own work.  

I enjoy painting and what I've done I usually get good results.  With painting, it's all in the preparation which requires a lot of time and patience, shooting the gun/rattle can is the easy part.  

I agree with adjusting the points, the mufflers are in the way on my tractors, B,C series.  Getting to the cover screws is the difficult part for me.   When I put the B-100 back together this summer after PO did overhaul, I left the muffler loose until I was finished with all adjustments.  Adjusting the points is kinda tricky.  There is a little slot that you can stick a flat screwdriver in to make the adjustment, to move them in or out slightly after loosening the hold down screw.  It takes some trial and error, that's for sure. 

• Like 5

roadapples

I`ve always said I`m not a mechanic, I`m a parts changer. Not real good with the fine tuning. And painting is out of the question with adult ADD. Anything that takes that much time I loose interest in and am off to something else. I`ve got a lot of projects started and not finished. Just ask my insignificant other.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

I too have ADD!

The biggest problem I have is with M&M's

I have such a hard time getting the peeling off!

• Like 4

953 nut
41 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

The biggest problem I have is with M&M's

M&M?  I always thought they were W&Ws, must have had them upside down.   :ychain:

• Like 5