rodney10954

snowblower lift pin scrapped off

rodney10954

So I acquired a snow blower for free a few years ago that needed some work and I finally get it fixed up and I knew the lift pin under the blower was questionable but I  figured I could get a season out of it , on the first lift the arm drops. I know there was a thread where someone flipped the pin and put a nut on instead but I cant find the thread. its where the lifting bar connects to the blower. has anyone fixed theirs or modified it in a better way. Right now I have 2 small "C" clams and it seems to be ok but no snow yet so not sure if the clamps will hold if scraped on the driveway. New auger gear pic below.

IMG_2083[1].JPG

IMG_2134[1].JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I drilled mine open to 1/4" and  use a flat washer and a 1/4" SST hex bolt and nylock nut.     Never had a problem.

I would think your C clamps will vibrate loose and fall off.   If you are lucky, they won't end up in the blower and launched thru a window.:hide:

• Like 2

rodney10954

did you have to cut the brace off? mine looks like one solid piece of round bar the comes up and is welded to the housing of the blower

looks like this, I was thinking about the bolt thing but was wondering if I would loose some strength if I took off the brace

snowblower.jpg

Edited by rodney10954

Ed Kennell

I don't understand why you think you would have to cut off the brace.  My bolt goes thru the same hole that the hairpin clip was in.   All I did was enlarge that same hole that was about 3/16" to 1/4" and replace the hairpin clip with a bolt and nut.

Which blower do you have , The one shown on the tractor or this one?    The one you have shown above is probably for a vertical engine lawn mower and may have a different lift post than the one on the tractor.

rodney10954

I have the one on the tractor , the one above was just to show how my lift post looks. The post on mine is worn down to where the hair pin goes in. I didn't understand what you had said about drilling out but now I do, was thinking you did something else. You have a good point about the C clamps falling off and going through a window never thought about that lol. 

• Like 2

cod

Here's how I fixed mine and it worked great last winter.  If you search for the thread, there's some photos that might help.

Good Luck - Cod

• Like 2

rodney10954

thanks cod , this was the one I was looking for

rodney10954

I didn't get to fix it but I ran it with the C clamps  ekennell  you were right I lost one of the two but im not sure where it went but not though a window so im happy lol

WHX??

Good Idea cod, mine had a real small mangled up hairpin when I got it. On went a stout one that got mangled up 1st snow. Your fix will be on the to do list when she comes off this fall.