DennisThornton

Red, not a Wheel Horse, but Awesome! But what is it?

DennisThornton

What on earth is this?image 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:          Dennis, can you post another picture showing the front end?

baerpath

Gibson ?

DennisThornton
15 minutes ago, baerpath said:

Gibson ?

Duane, you won't get an answer from me.  I'm completely clueless!

00b0b_6487Js8V06X_600x450.jpg

KC9KAS

Frankentractor?

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Frankentractor?

It definitely is!  But what are the main components from?  That's a pretty neat rear with bull gears!  And the front axle looks like a production item.  I'm guessing it's primarily a 2 piece, front and rear combined with the implement lift and steering fitted in as best as possible.

I'm somewhat in to Power Kings but I don't recognize the bull gears, but that doesn't mean much.  They still could be PKs or from several other tractors as well.

Edited by DennisThornton
It definitely is!

SPINJIM

Hi Dennis,

Look a the Shaw Du-All tractors.  There's some similarities, especially in that curved front frame..

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
additional info

DennisThornton

Jim!  Richard!  I think I see some Shaw Do-all in there!  I knew I had seen that curved front somewhere!  I see the rear end, seat and lift lever that looks like a Shaw.

But the frame still seems a hybrid to me and all the stuff forward of the curved frame, but all that stuff could be for the snow blade and lift mechanism.

But does everyone agree that looks like a Shaw rear end?  But what about the chain drive?

The right side of the frame looks like it might have been chopped and widened.  Perhaps the engine set higher for that chain reduction?  I know so little about the Shaws but I agree, it sure looks Shawish to me!

Edited by DennisThornton
But what about the chain drive?
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

Yep, the Du-All definitely has had some upgrades.  There is one listed on CL down my way (Lancaster, PA) that looks similar and has the same front end except for that triangular bracket for the snow plow.  That may have been added by the PO.    However, Shaw was a small enough company that they might have done some custom work for customers.  The one on CL also has a chain reduction rear drive on it.  

If you Google 'Shaw Du-All', you'll see pictures with a load of variations.   The Lawn & Garden Collectors magazine had an article on the Du-All awhile back.

Do you own the tractor, or did you see it somewhere?   Looks like a nice one.

Jim

• Like 1

buckrancher

could be a early mighty mite tractor

Brian

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Yep, the Du-All definitely has had some upgrades.  There is one listed on CL down my way (Lancaster, PA) that looks similar and has the same front end except for that triangular bracket for the snow plow.  That may have been added by the PO.    However, Shaw was a small enough company that they might have done some custom work for customers.  The one on CL also has a chain reduction rear drive on it.  

If you Google 'Shaw Du-All', you'll see pictures with a load of variations.   The Lawn & Garden Collectors magazine had an article on the Du-All awhile back.

Do you own the tractor, or did you see it somewhere?   Looks like a nice one.

Jim

Not mine.  Just sharing and trying to find out more about it.  The more I look at it the more I see that I think has been altered though...

SPINJIM

18 hours ago, buckrancher said:

could be a early mighty mite tractor

Brian

I hate to admit when I'm wrong (just ask my wife), but I think I have to change my mind and agree with Buckrancher.   After comparing that front axle with the Mighty Mite and the Du All, it looks more like the Mighty Mite.  Also, the shape of the I-beam frame is more like Mighty Mite.   I have to confess that I've never heard of the M M, but I've seen a few Du Alls, so that was the first thing that came to mind.  Very similar tractors if you're not standing right next to them.

Jim

• Like 1

953 nut

Buckrancher is the man.      :bow-blue:

jaques.thumb.jpg.cf246c9a76182fb329cb9c5

MM.thumb.jpg.39c1ba613e9f8dbbd404f0008e0

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

I hate to admit when I'm wrong (just ask my wife), but I think I have to change my mind and agree with Buckrancher.   After comparing that front axle with the Mighty Mite and the Du All, it looks more like the Mighty Mite.  Also, the shape of the I-beam frame is more like Mighty Mite.   I have to confess that I've never heard of the M M, but I've seen a few Du Alls, so that was the first thing that came to mind.  Very similar tractors if you're not standing right next to them.

Jim

Well now!  Would you just look at that!  I know something of the Shaws, I even know where one is (and my understanding is there's not a lot of them around!)  but I know NOTHING of the Mighty Mite!  Well, until @buckrancher came along!  Gads!  Trying to learn all there is to know about Wheel Horses is absurd!  Can't even know all the tractor brands!  I've been told that are a LOT of brands that most folks have never heard of but now I'm pretty sure I've not only heard of a Mighty Mite tractor but seen pictures of more than one!  Some old dry and stale brain cells tell me there was a Mighty Mite track tractor or dozer, though!

Thank you buckrancher!  I think you have won whatever prize is associated with this contest!  Richard?  Would you please be sure that he gets it!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

A few more pics...

00a0a_7SQWMDuYiux_600x450.jpg

00b0b_6487Js8V06X_600x450.jpg

00F0F_7cepoeEXHqw_600x450.jpg

00g0g_hVe7CnUk8VJ_600x450.jpg

00n0n_1rEXENq5Evi_600x450.jpg

00R0R_9suDtVEcV4b_600x450.jpg

00R0R_19floE1apmS_600x450.jpg

00W0W_hyGAvliGmCJ_600x450.jpg

00X0X_hDLI1yy63qO_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Trophy.thumb.jpg.b19a09dfd69fa6c9d125040

OK Dennis, here is the @buckrancher award.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Richard, I'm sure that Buckrancher will be honored as anyone would be!  I certainly hope to achieve it before, will you know...  Heck, I was convinced it was a Shaw!  I'm still not seeing why the right frame rail was widened. That was quite a process for something.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I didnt have a clue what it was. Pretty cool looking though.

Glenn

BobW

Dennis- that's a good set of pictures.  I agree- its definitely a Jaques Mighty Mite chassis, and based on the rear end in it, specifically its a Jaques Mighty Mite model 10. 
If it still has the original Borg warner transmission (typically a T-96) in it, then there should be a date code in the casting of the transmission-  take that date and add two months and you have a good approximation of the tractor build date.

sidenote: almost all of the Jaques Mighty Mites (and the related tractors:   Jaques-Frazer Model T and The Ottawa Mule team)  they used a round metal rod to connect the lift lever to the rear hitch for raising and lowering. this is maybe only the third that I have ever seen that had a piece of chain instead.

• Like 1