Phil854

HY--2 cylinder

Phil854

trying to get my hydraulic cylinder apart to rebuild it. All the pics I seen on the this site have either a clip or the ends welded mine has no welds and no clip so what's holding the ends in and what is the best way to get it apart?

Where is a good place to get a new lever spring?

953 nut

:WRS:       Take a look at the exploded view in this manual, it appears that the pipe thread fittings that screw into the cylinder hold the ends in place, a rather clever idea.              http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1859-lift-hydraulic-1962-1963-hy-2-a-7140pdf/

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Phil854

That was my thinking also I removed the fittings this eve and tried to remove the top end cap by taping down on cylinder with rod  extended in vise and no luck I don't want to hit  real hard I don't want to damage it

953 nut

May want to put a plug in one of the fittings and thread an air hose into the other to see if you can blow  it apart using compressed air.

• Like 3

Phil854

I will give that a try thanks

UncleJerm76
On 11/24/2015 at 7:49 PM, Phil854 said:

I will give that a try thanks

Did it work? If not, what did you do to get it apart? Im reviving this old thread because I seem to have the exact same cylinder and I have the exact same problem. I cant get them apart and Ive got both fittings removed.

dovetail53

chances are there is some rust on the interior of the cylinder. if you can get the cylinder shaft extended to its full extended position, put the yoke in a bench vise.... slide the shaft inward a ways, then with both hands on the cylinder housing, slam the cylinder toward the extended position as hard as you can. there is nothing internal holding the ends but the threaded elbows or nipple into the end caps. if you then get the shaft end removed, take a piece of broom handle, or something similar, and hammer on the inside to remove the other end plug. I did this with three of them, and all went well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UncleJerm76
2 minutes ago, dovetail53 said:

chances are there is some rust on the interior of the cylinder. if you can get the cylinder shaft extended to its full extended position, put the yoke in a bench vise.... slide the shaft inward a ways, then with both hands on the cylinder housing, slam the cylinder toward the extended position as hard as you can. there is nothing internal holding the ends but the threaded elbows or nipple into the end caps. if you then get the shaft end removed, take a piece of broom handle, or something similar, and hammer on the inside to remove the other end plug. I did this with three of them, and all went well.

Thank you for the great suggestions, I will try tonight!

• Like 1

WHX??

I used the compressed air method and it worked but not without great effort and French. Mine was badly rusted tho, so much so the cylinder was pitted and unusable. Lowell http://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/ has parts.  

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

UncleJerm76
On 11/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, WHX21 said:

I used the compressed air method and it worked but not without great effort and French. Mine was badly rusted tho, so much so the cylinder was pitted and unusable. Lowell http://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/ has parts.  

How much PSI finally broke it free? ...and how did you keep it from shooting across the room?

UncleJerm76
On 11/2/2018 at 1:00 PM, dovetail53 said:

This worked like a charm!!! I put a couple layers of rags between it and vise so nothing would get scratched. It was just press fit in, then like you said when you thread in the elbows for the hoses that keeps it from coming back apart. Very simple love it. Thanks a bunch for the excellent suggestion!