ferguson65

My 522xi functional redo

ferguson65

I'll move this out of the intro thread and into its own.  My hunt for a bagger for the monster led me here, where as fate would have it I found an NOS unit on craigslist the next day.  I picked it up and installed it.  Very happy.  Not so happy that I found it's supposed to go 7.5 mph and it will only go 4.  It has felt slow to me, but I guess a constant progression of slowing down is hard to notice.  After a bit of hunting I have confirmed that it does have the factory steer defeat kit installed, and all looks good there.  Tonight I pulled the rear fenders and had a look around the hydro and transaxle.  Sure needs a bath, looks like it goes full stroke in reverse, but nowhere close in forward.  One heim joint is shot, everything else looks usable still, some of the levers flop around, need to see if they can be tightened up.  Also creeps backward in neutral, so there's a bit of adjusting needed there too.  I have a little down time with it now that most of the leaves are done before the snow falls, so I'm going to try to get it back to functional normal, but it will probably always be ugly.

Also noticed tonight that I've only got one functional eye both front and rear, so I'm going to track down the Sylvainia LED's I've seen posted on here for both ends before the blower goes on, along with taking the lens apart and cleaning the inside.  Great tips on here so far.  Wife thinks I'm nuts, but better to be nuts than dead like I would be if I came home with a new subcompact in the trailer!  Planning on keeping the Horse at few more years anyway.

WNYPCRepair

If I remember correctly, didn't you steal that XI for around $600? Tell your wife you could probably double your money on it immediately if you wanted.  :)

DennisThornton

Great tractor and great site to learn more.  Plenty here already with the search engine.  Every manual you would want as well.  Several here have a 5XXxi.  I've had a 520Lxi for a few months and just picked up a 522xi.  Nice rigs!

If I remember correctly, didn't you steal that XI for around $600? Tell your wife you could probably double your money on it immediately if you wanted.  :)

Be careful!  She may then want you to sell it!

• Like 1

slammer302

My xi was creeping backwards when I got it after I adjusted the it out it goes proper speed in forward and it was so easy to do I can't believe it wasn't fixed sooner!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ferguson65

If I remember correctly, didn't you steal that XI for around $600? Tell your wife you could probably double your money on it immediately if you wanted.  

That wasn't me.  I paid 2600 back in 2008 for it with the 2 stage blower, wheel weights, chains, weight box, and 48" deck.  Still think I did ok though.  I didn't know about the axle issue when I bought it, but after searching around on here, think I'm going to try the bronze key and welding.  Splitting the case and replacing the axles looks easy enough, but Toro is very proud of those axles at over $200 each.  All in all, aside from oil and filters I haven't put much time or money into it.  I had another one offered to me for $400 when an acquaintance was getting divorced, can't remember if it was a 520 or 518.  Lots of hours, but I should have scooped it up.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Glad to hear that you are figuring out the issues. Machined parts are expensive for any vehicle and our tractors are no exception.

If you can, take some pictures of it without the fender on. It is always good to see what lies beneath for future reference.

DougC

What is it with wives not wanting us to have tractors anyway............ It must be a sinister plot they're all in on to keep us pushing lawn mowers,  raking leaves and shoveling snow by hand..........  Glad you found your NOS bagger.  A member of this forum gave me some advice about wives a while back. He told me to take off the apron, put on my man pants. Then his wife told him to turn off his computor and we never got to finish our conversation...........:lol:

• Like 5

Snowmobileaddict

If I remember correctly, didn't you steal that XI for around $600? Tell your wife you could probably double your money on it immediately if you wanted.  

That wasn't me.  I paid 2600 back in 2008 for it with the 2 stage blower, wheel weights, chains, weight box, and 48" deck.  Still think I did ok though.  I didn't know about the axle issue when I bought it, but after searching around on here, think I'm going to try the bronze key and welding.  Splitting the case and replacing the axles looks easy enough, but Toro is very proud of those axles at over $200 each.  All in all, aside from oil and filters I haven't put much time or money into it.  I had another one offered to me for $400 when an acquaintance was getting divorced, can't remember if it was a 520 or 518.  Lots of hours, but I should have scooped it up.

What axle issue do you have?

Theroundhousernr

A good wheel horse buddy told me awhile go. To fix that hub issue, clean the axle and hub real good with a solvent. Two knew set screws for the hub. Load it with red Loctite and torque the set screws to around 30 lbs. Then lightly snug up the jam nuts. If you tighten the jam nuts to far it will actually pull back on the set screws which will not hold the hub tight. If the hub is to worn , just find yourself a new hub. Works for me every time.

ferguson65

What axle issue do you have?

The keyway in the l/s axle is damaged.  The r/s seems to have stayed tight.  Will take a good look at both when I pull the wheels to reset the neutral.  Will need a new hub either way.  Ran out to autozone for LED bulbs and they didn't have them in 1156.  And they only had one in 194.  I'll take my business elsewhere.  So no bulbs yet.  Got the one wasted heim joint ordered from the dealer today.  Priced it online, but after shipping the dealer was cheaper, so I'll support the local guy.

Edited by ferguson65

refracman

Just a FYI the hubs are the same as any 1 1/8 WH axled tractor  
Axels are also the same except for length.  With that being said as long as its not more that 1/4" shorter you will be fine.
I installed GT14 axles with C195  hubs on mine as i had a spare set of C195 rims w ags. 

ferguson65

Just a FYI the hubs are the same as any 1 1/8 WH axled tractor  
Axels are also the same except for length.  With that being said as long as its not more that 1/4" shorter you will be fine.
I installed GT14 axles with C195  hubs on mine as i had a spare set of C195 rims w ags. 

Thanks for that tip.  I know I had at least verified before that 520H hubs were the same.  Pretty sure I'll be able to source a good used hub.  I dug into it a bit tonight and the left hub is junk for sure.  The right was only very slightly loose, I cranked down on the setscrews with a ratchet, but think I'll take the tip of replacing them with new and locktite.

I also did the neutral adjustment, and found the eccentric was pointed toward the pivot rather than away from it.  Put it where it belongs and set neutral per the manual.  No more creep, and the tractor really came to life!  the GPS was fairly erratic tonight (its also raining) but I saw it hit 6.5!  It uses almost all of the stoke now, just a bit left and the new heim joint should get me up to speed.  The seat of the pants test says its MUCH faster than it was.  Thanks for all the insight so far!

Edited by ferguson65

ferguson65

Took visits to 2 different Advance Auto stores today but I turned up the Sylvania Zevo 1156 bulbs for the front, and some Sylvania LED 194's for the back.  Nobody has the 194 Zevos around here.  I took the front headlight out and cleaned it inside and out, can't believe how nasty it was inside.  The rear lights, honestly I think the LED's were a waste.  A bit more comes through the lens but not significant.  The fronts with the cleaned lens is a huge difference.  Took a comparison pic, you can clearly tell which is which!  Should make blowing snow in the dark that much brighter!

traclight_zpsulembb5i.jpg

Next job will be the heim joint when it comes in.  Also think I'm going to do the engine and hydro oil while I have it in the garage.  Got about 2 gallons of leftover 10w30 diesel oil from a job so now seems like a good time to address that and I'll clean the screen (that I never knew was there til lurking around here) that I'm sure has never been done.

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I replaced the tailights on the 523Dxi last year with a pair of LED 194 lamps from superbriteled last year. I was very happy with the brightness, plus they were reasonably priced.

slammer302

I just did the led light upgrade on my 522xi and was able to get the 1156 white leds at walmart for 15.00$ and they had the 194's but i didn't bother buying them i am very happy with the upgrade

ferguson65
Finally got my heim joint today thanks to the holiday and got it installed.  It seems pretty darn fast now.  I tried to monitor the speed with multiple forms of GPS and wound up with a best of 6.7 MPH.  Not completely sold on accuracy of either unit.  Seat of the pants again says MUCH improved.  Using almost all the travel on the hydro linkage, could go a bit more in forward, will see if any more tweaking will help.  If this is all there is, I'll still be happy.  The two bearings on the smart steer linkage have a bit of play between them and the bracket they act on, still losing a bit there.  I would love to put it all back together and run it, but it is just too disgusting with 15 years of dirt, dust grass and grease.  I just put two bolts in the seat pan to run it around tonight.  Going to have to break the pressure washer out this weekend and give it a good once over since it's so far apart (and nasty)

dirtytrac_zpshw0zdlyz.jpg

dirtytrac1_zps4wfid8wh.jpg

Granted these pics were AFTER I blew a lot of debris off with air.

Also picked up the engine and hydro filters, I'll leave them on the shelf until I pull the deck to put the blower on.

Edited by ferguson65

slammer302

You may want to pull the engine shrouds off and give the cooling fins a cleaning 

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Slammer is giving good advice by the looks of the dirt build up. Do it if you can.

Glenn

• Like 2

ferguson65

I'm sure it's something that should be done.  I'm hoping to get it pressure washed this weekend, then get the back end all wrapped up.  Once that's done if I have the time I will pull the engine and clean the shrouds out.  One end at a time, I need to keep it easy enough to throw together for moving firewood as needed.  I still need to deal with the back axles, but that will have to wait a bit.  I did crank down on the setscrews with a socket when the wheels were off while setting the neutral.

ferguson65

Got it all cleaned up today.  Finally ready to give it one last greasing and bolt the back end together.  Despite my best attempts to keep the pressure washer away from the foam on the engine side screens and foam between the engine and firewall I knocked some of it out.  The side screen foam is no biggie.  Stuff between engine and firewall isn't quite as simple, guess I just gave myself a good reason to yank the engine out quick and clean out behind the shrouds!

cleantrac_zpswqa5idog.jpg

cleantrac1_zpsz0jkuond.jpg

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

You might consider pulling the mower deck off before putting the rear fender on. There is a lot of crud that hides under there as well. Don't be overly concerned about the foam ring. It probably increases the efficiency of the fan but not by much. Make sure the fuel lines stay inside the groove when you place the fender back on and aren't pinched..

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

ferguson65
5 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

You might consider pulling the mower deck off before putting the rear fender on. There is a lot of crud that hides under there as well. Don't be overly concerned about the foam ring. It probably increases the efficiency of the fan but not by much. Make sure the fuel lines stay inside the groove when you place the fender back on and aren't pinched..

I've got the frame pretty darn clean.  I'll deal with the deck itself once I pull it off to put the blower on for winter, it needs a good cleaning top and bottom.  Been waiting to see if I was going to have to do another round of leaves but the bagger did such a good job round one the yard still looks good, I'm probably safe to pull the deck soon.  The fuel lines appear to have stayed put, but I will double check before the fender goes on, thanks for the tip.  I've got all the foam on its way, so I'm just going to go ahead and get it done.

One more thing I feel the need to re-engineer is the brackets for the frame that attach the bagger mount and weight box.  Both are different and incompatible.  probably easiest to make a new top mount for the weight box since swapping them isn't enough fun to want to do it 2x per year.

ferguson65

I haven't forgotten about this thing..............Was planning a trip to Florida that we had to cancel last minute, and all free time was devoted to prepping my 5th wheel for the trip.  Before we left my goal was to at least get the back end of the tractor together and get it back to the shed.  Got the linkage all adjusted up and put it back together.  My phone speedometer app only shows whole numbers but shows 7 running up and down the road.  Good enough for me!  Cleaned the hydro screen also before I put it back together.

traccomplete_zpspd8qmnap.jpg

Since I have lots of free time on my hands now this week, I decided it was a good time to yank the engine and clean out behind the cooling shroud (engine tin), along with replaced the foam I destroyed with the pressure washer.  Pulled the deck off for winter to start.  Ran it around and got it hot first and changed both engine and hydraulic oil and filters.  Started pulling the frontend apart while the trans filled.  Got the engine out, blew out the frame and called it a night.  I'm going to wire brush and touch up the bare areas of frame before the engine goes back in.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get that done along with pulling the shrouds and blowing the cooling fins out.

traceng_zpstq56y3w1.jpg

traceng1_zpsvikokagr.jpg

Wife started giving me a hard time about all the time I've put into it lately, and of course money, which I doubt has hit $200 (aside from the bagger SHE wanted).  She said she thought it was a good machine and shouldn't need all this time and effort put into it.  I told her it IS a good machine and just has some long overdue maintenance items that need done (it is 15 years old), and that if she prefers I can replace it with something brand new that's going to run at least 10K and still need to be maintained.  I'm keeping the Horse for a while!

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice job, Please take some pics with those engine tins off. I would like to see what's collecting under them. "Debris & crude wise"

Edit: that is of course if you were taking them off. Sorry, jumped the gun.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

ferguson65
1 minute ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Nice job, Please take some pics with those engine tins off. I would like to see what's collecting under them. "Debris & crude wise"

Edit: that is of course if you were taking them off. Sorry, jumped the gun.

Glenn

I can do that.  No way I'd go this far without at least going in for a look.  I can tell you there is grass poking out between the shrouds and valve covers, and most anywhere else it can poke out.  Never had any overheat issues, but I'm sure it's a mess in there.  Should know tomorrow, and will grab a few pics.

• Like 2