DougC

Medium Or HD Tire Chains

DougC

Need a set of chains for my 1988 520H so read here that tirechains.com was the go to place. found tire size and was given a choice of medium or heavy duty. I like the price of the medium at around $45 area. HD of course heavier and more expensive by around  $20. What do you guys buy? I have mostly gravel and a cement pad in front of house. The twisted links are what I have always used on the 95 520H

shallowwatersailor

The preferred spacing is "Two Link" instead of "Four Link". Is that what tirechains.com consider HD versus medium duty? You want "Two Link" chains either price.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

can whlvr
I have had many sets of chains,currantly have at least 6 sets on my horses,i recommend the heavy dutie 2 link vbar,they bite the best and the heavy ones will last longer

DennisThornton

Like John just mentioned, the more chain that hits the road the better. Every place a cross link can go the better, every second link or "two link" has twice the cross links vs "four link".  Sounds odd but the " 2 link" puts twice the chain to the road as the "4 link" and I think the V-bars are at least twice as good on ice as without.  So I'd say that some chains are easily 4 times better than some and there are still more variations!

http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm  is a place to start.

I run double rings on my big tractor and I swear, I think I could climb up most anything but they make much better than double ring chains!

clem

The heavy duty chains are supposed to be a larger diameter material used for the links. I think I found that info somewhere on tirechains.com

cheesegrader

I have a set of  HD 2-link v-bar chains from tirechains.com.
They are the heaviest, best gripping chains that I own.
Chains are much thicker than my regular chains, V-links are welded in place, and will not bend.
I WOULD NOT use them on concrete.  Not even a little bit of concrete.  You will shred the surface.
I use mine on ice-covered gravel.  They are way too aggressive for blacktop or concrete

Edited by cheesegrader

clip

I've heard rumors that rubber chains work well without tearing up asphalt or concrete. I stuck to my guns and got a set of 2-link to go on the Work Horse's Tru Powers. I've got V-bars for the Farmall but haven't had to use those yet.

Coadster32

I use two link rubber chains. I have stamped concrete in front of my garage. They work great. A little more expensive, but worth the money in my book. I've seen what agressive metal chains do to blacktop and concrete.

shallowwatersailor

I have also used rubber chains. With clearing five neighbors and my own driveway I do not want to leave marks. But last year and the year before they were never installed because I used weights and loaded tires instead. With the predictions for snowfall this year though, I plan on installing them on the 523Dxi - to lessen the total snowfall!

Even though they are four-link, they do bite well on ice. The ride is similar to ags on a dry surface. I have even used them in dirt during Spring cleanup without issue, and have dug ruts with them.

565313ce1a497_5xiHitch.3.thumb.jpg.5d4ce

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Forest Road

I purchased a set of V bar 2 link medium duty chains. I own a few sets of heavy duty 4 link Vbar and wish I'd spent the extra $20-30. The medium look very light weight. The a bar is much smaller as well.

I have a large stone driveway and a few hills. They'll prob be fine. Spent the cash so let's see how they perform. Just would've liked a little extra bite.