Jeff.f

My 654

Jeff.f

Thought I'd start a thread of my 654,, the history is ,, my granddad bought it new in 1964, I was born in 1965,  I rode in it as a baby,, I started driving it when I was 5 or 6,, couldnt operate the clutch/brake but I drove it around the big yard for years and years,, taking terns with my cousins,
When I was 16, I was given the tractor,, we switched the motor sometime around then, I left for the military at 19 and my dad sold it to a neighbor, he didn't take the hood so it was lost,, he says he never used it.
its sat outside since, I picked it up today and started a tear down.
77167B94-8746-46CB-8AB6-64FF8187B06D_zps
A3D5B35A-F7F2-469C-AAF9-8B8E6B6E6BC1_zps
87E3ADB2-AE8E-4686-A308-A5A29E8411EF_zps
the front tires split at the sight of the air hose but the back tires are holding 25 lbs 
29061BB8-90AA-4CDD-855B-951594F1F5EC_zps
9973F9FC-55A5-4BC9-B4A7-EABACD66434B_zps
095DDA06-91D0-463C-8FD9-5924E470692F_zps
hope it's ok to post here!  If not,, will do something else! Thanks

• Like 9

953 nut
:WRS:           Always glad to see a :wh: with a strong family attachment and a great story. Looking forward to the progress story too.   :woohoo:

:text-coolphotos:                                                                                                                            :text-welcomeconfetti:

Jeff.f

Salute!  And thanks!

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

looks to be in good shape for it's age, not to much rot

KC9KAS
:WRS:and thank you for your military service.
Nice to know the history on your 654!
I have a 654 and I like it....Just wish it started easier....damn Tecumseh's

AlwaysLookin80

Looks like a good start to a cool project. 

AMC RULES
Might want to air them old ags down to 10psi...
25 may end up splitting the rears too.   
:confusion-shrug:
               :WRS:
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
:WRS:First thanks for your service. It makes you fell good to reconnect with that old tractor. You are doing the right thing buy brining it back to its former glory. Enjoy the ride and the project.  Gary    B...
:WRS:

and thank you for your military service.

Nice to know the history on your 654!

I have a 654 and I like it....Just wish it started easier....damn Tecumseh's

KC9KAS  I have 3 0f them I just except the fact that they start  hard at times. I have one that first or second pull. I found out that if your timing is dead on and you have a good carb they start pretty easy. I all ways buy 2 of the $20.0 carbs just in case. Enjoy the ride. Gary    B...

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Oh I'll be following this!

SylvanLakeWH
:thanks: for your service to the Country first and foremost. Secondly, :WRS:!!!
Thirdly, keep us updated with pictures!
  • Like 1

Jeff.f

Thanks for all the kind words! 
I'll let some air out of the back tires today,, I wasn't sure on the pressure,, I've got new ones coming for the front,,
l am going to need a new driven pulley at the rear axle, the half moon key must have broke and the pulley wobbles in the shaft pretty bad.
I'm not sure about putting an original engine in it, I've wanted a nice tractor for a while and I'd like to use this one , I don't have much to mow but I live  next door to a church and thought I might volunteer to do some of their yard work with it,, I guess i'll do some studying on good ideas for an engine upgrade verses finding an original!
by the way, I have a hood on the way, bought it in EBay 
65363663-BCA5-48B7-9408-D5328C28E4FF_zps
 and a friend lined up to do the paint work once I get it all stripped down!

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I think your most time consuming and most challenging task is getting rid of the rust.  You thought about an electrolysis tank?  I've used them for years but I've never set one up big enough for my 654, but I plan to.  Also, and this will sound strange, but I get that from time to time anyway, molasses can be your 654's next best friend!  Seriously!  Google it!  I've used it in a 55 gallon plastic drum and was quite pleased!

Jeff.f

I was wondering if there is a wanted section to the forum?
 I'm looking for a belt guard,  I've seen many on eBay but I'm not sure what might interchange?

SylvanLakeWH

I was wondering if there is a wanted section to the forum?
 I'm looking for a belt guard,  I've seen many on eBay but I'm not sure what might interchange?

yes. Scroll down to classifieds on the home page and click on "wanted."

953 nut

I think your most time consuming and most challenging task is getting rid of the rust.  You thought about an electrolysis tank?  I've used them for years but I've never set one up big enough for my 654, but I plan to.  Also, and this will sound strange, but I get that from time to time anyway, molasses can be your 654's next best friend!  Seriously!  Google it!  I've used it in a 55 gallon plastic drum and was quite pleased!

Checked it out,must say I had never heard of this method.:handgestures-thumbupright:    For surface rusted sheet metal I have used low fuming Muriatic Acid sprayed on using a chassis sprayer. Be sure you are up-wind of the spray! Within a few minutes the rust will be GONE. Rinse it off liberally with water and once it flash rusts treat it with Ospho. Have to be sure the EPA and OSHA aren't looking, but when you live out in the country like I do, no problem. When you are ready to paint the parts just scuff of the black residue with steel wool, sand with 220 and prime with a good quality etching primer.

DennisThornton

Checked it out,must say I had never heard of this method.    For surface rusted sheet metal I have used low fuming Muriatic Acid sprayed on using a chassis sprayer. Be sure you are up-wind of the spray! Within a few minutes the rust will be GONE. Rinse it off liberally with water and once it flash rusts treat it with Ospho. Have to be sure the EPA and OSHA aren't looking, but when you live out in the country like I do, no problem. When you are ready to paint the parts just scuff of the black residue with steel wool, sand with 220 and prime with a good quality etching primer.

I originally thought it was a hoax!  Still don't fully understand it, but it works!  Hydrochloric works quickly but the fumes will also rust everything in your shop including your shop if it has metal siding!  Really, it's bad!  Not good for scaling rust but faster than phosphoric for sure on surface rust!  Flash rust after rinsing is an issue but your phosphoric will come to the rescue for that.  But hydrochloric it can eventually dissolve more than the rust!  Don't leave your parts in for too long!  The bags of molasses feed can stink to high heaven so it's about as bad if used inside for other reasons and or course in the winter won't work at all but it is safe to the skin if not the nose!  I intend to try straight liquid molasses after this bag of stuff.  I'm thinking the livestock feed additives are what is stinking so bad, but... 

953 nut
:hide:        Dennis, I did fail to say you need to be outdoors and away from anything that could be harmed by Muriatic (diluted Hydrochloric) acid. Also, you don't want to do this on concrete or near vegetation you want to see again. I go out on the gravel driveway about 100 feet from the shop and close the door. Side benefit is it will kill the unwanted weeds and grass that pop up in the driveway.

WHX??
It's going to be like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear but guys here have started with alot worse, if you need help ask & glad your doing it! good luck and :WRS:

Jeff.f

More tear down pictures 
D2078875-1295-4E31-AE7E-387006B8B7A0_zps
19634F79-6364-49F0-AB67-501C4F7E6B58_zps
44812E89-74D3-460E-B9D8-55498E976E3E_zps

I'm starting to really remember what all happened to the tractor,, at some point I broke the woodruff key,  I know I fixed it but it wasn't a good fix since I didn't have one ,, probably welding rod! ( I was young)
I found the main spring under the seat broken as well,, not sure but I'm thinking that broke after it was sold,  the main driven pulley is loose in the shaft so I've got a replacement 
with the spring broke, it was hard to tell that the brake was what was dragging ,, once I got everything working , it rolls around as good as new!
going to add some oil to the rear end and watch for leaks!   Lol

• Like 1

DougC

Welcome        :WRS:        Looks like you've got a good grip on the restoration.            :)

Jeff.f

Ty,   I'm having fun!
when I first started tearing down, I remembered, turning wrenches with my Granddad like it was just a day ago, I remember laying in the creeper putting the nuts on the motor bolts while he backed them up from the top! that made it all worth it!  

Heres another project I've worked on,, not a wheel horse,, or a tractor,, but still a very fun build,, it's a 1941 Chevrolet army truck
D88C6B64-C20F-4732-838E-329BCFB5BDDE_zps
I don't really work at original,, little changes are fun,, just not to much!   The bed is built from scratch , my design, the rear fenders are front peterbuilt fenders, its got a 502 Chevy with a turbo 400,, I take it out every now and then!   I also build RC trucks,, since I've retired I just try to find neat things to work on!  But the tractor has been special since it has been around for all my past, I used it to pull all my granddads old hot rods around the shops with, mowed a huge yard with it, plowed my mother, and grandmothers gardens with it,, every childhood memory I've got closely ties to this tractor!

• Like 5

TDF5G

That's great the tractor still holds those memories for you.  

Jeff.f

Anyone have an opinion on this motor?
DF7B00A1-65E7-4DA2-A4E6-9DAF956E5D27_zps

priced right,, looks like they have an HQ in Arkansas 

AMC RULES
:confusion-shrug: ...but  I see these are listed on Ebay for a little less money...and they're shipped too.
4hp-Kohler-Engine-5-8-Dx2-27-64-L-EXT-THD-CS-Command-Recoil-Start-CS4TP-901505 4hp-Kohler-Engine-5-8-Dx2-27-64-L-EXT-THD-CS-Command-Recoil-Start-CS4TP-901505

Edited by AMC RULES