Nads4

2 stage snowblower

Nads4

I have a late 80's 416-8 with a 1974 single stage manual lift snowblower attachment. I've been trying to find a 2 stage for it.  Every one I've found required the hydraulic lift which I don't have.  Did Wheel Horse ever make a 2 stage with manual lift and if so does anyone have a model number so I can start searching?

Edited by Nads4

C-101plowerpower

i don't think it makes any difference in mounting it, it's just heavier to lift by hand

• Excellent 1

Nads4

The few sellers I've talked with stated because it was hydraulic they had no manual lift mechanism for the unit like I have with my single stage.  I'm not worried about the weight its more a question of having the right parts to use it in manual mode.

C-101plowerpower

i think it's just the the pole and flag thingy that's a bit different, nothing a good head scratching and fabricating cant solve

Nads4

Its one thing to need a few parts but I've been burned on fabrication.  I has a frame mount Kubota backhoe modified to fit an old Ford tractor.  Seemed simple enough but $1000 worth of welding and fabrication later it finally fit.  Guess I'm a bit gun shy if its not off the shelf parts.

bmsgaffer

The rock shaft on both Auto and manual wheel horses are the same. The rock shaft on a hydro goes to a flange for the hydraulic cylinder, on the manual tractors it is extended out to the handle.  If all the parts are there for the snowblower, it will fit up with no problem.

There are only two issues you might face:
The lift-assist spring is often optional if mounted on a hydro but an absolute necessity on a manual.
While some people have run a 2 stage on as low as 14hp, you might be a bit disappointed with 16hp. It was designed for the 520. It will work, you might just have to go a bit slower. 

• Like 1

Nads4

Thanks bmsgaffer for the details.  Sounds like worst case is I might need the extension piece that replaces the tie-in to the hydraulic flange and extends to the existing manual lift arm I have.  I assume I can find one, order one from Toro or fabricate one.  You would have a pic of the attachment handy? 

I realize I might need to slow down a bit with my Onan 16 hp but it takes forever now because my single stage will not throw the snow over a stockade fence, so I end up re-blowing it in front of the tractor till I clear the fence which literally doubles my time anyway (see attached pic).

Snow season 1.jpg

kiotiken

Just a thought have you looked into a chute extension? I think that might raise your blowing point up some.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bmsgaffer

No, worst case scenario (if the blower is complete) is you will only need a lift-assist spring.

Here is the IPL for the attachment section. Notice all parts are the same except you use shaft #9 for hydro or #1 for manual. So all attachments are exactly the same no matter hydro or manual with the exception of adding a lift-assist spring. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Screenshot_2015-11-11_10.16.40.thumb.png

• Excellent 1

Nads4

kiotiken, my single stage chute will point almost straight up, not sure how much more the taller chute will buy me.

bmsgaffer

Have you put rubber paddles on your snowblower? I havent used one before but I have hear that if you have a good condition snow blower that it really increases your throwing distance significantly...

And it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

MalMac

Like said if everything is there on the 2 stage only thing needed is the helper spring, which came with the blower when new. I had a 2 stage and got rid of it for a single tall shoot. Very little difference in how far it tossed the snow. That 2 stage might go through waist deep snow faster than the single. Even with a helper spring that blower is a bear to work with. I am glad I switched back to a single, it's so much easier to work with and lot less wear on the tractor. I suppose the 2 stage has it's place. For my use I am glad I switched. It was made for the 520 like stated. I would not want to go less power because to use that 2 stage for it was made for will take every bit of that 16 and then some.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Take a look at this D&A file for the 1990 416-8. 1990 was the first year Toro had a 2-stage for these tractors. Prior to that they used one manufactured by Bervac.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4412-tractor-1990-416-8-da-tipl-snpdf/

Here is a manual for the 2-stage
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2926-snowthrower-44in-1990-2-stage-06-44sc01-om-tipl-snpdf/
and there are more so when you find one post the model number and serial number and will try to link you to the correct one.

Garry

Nads4

Damn MalMac ya had to go muddy the water LOL.  So you really saw little to no difference in the height/distance between single and two stage, nuts.  Maybe I should just put a plow on my truck. 

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"

Fleet Admiral Chester William Nimitz regarding USMC action Iwo 1945 – Semper Fi

bmsgaffer

Do the rubber paddle upgrade.

You also may want to look at the newer tall chute single stage snow blowers. They funnel the snow up a little higher before "redirecting it" and many say the blow a bit further and like them better. 

erickson13455

What is the rubber paddle upgrade?  I have a single stage that I would like to have work better.

bobert94

the rubber paddle ugrade is for the 2 stage blower

bmsgaffer

While it was originally designed for a 2 stage, some have put paddles on the single stage as well. 

Basically bolt a rubber pad to each of the paddles on the auger to get them as close to the case as you can without, or just ever so lightly touching. The smaller you make the gap between the auger paddle and the case the more efficiently it will throw snow (at least until you introduce friction from rubbing)

Obviously the improvement wont be as great as the two stage unless you do the whole auger, but you should see some improvement. 

rokon

I have both a tall shute single stage and a two stage blower I run on 520's and as stated before, there is not a huge difference in throwing distance. The determining factor is the type of snow you are moving. wet and heavy or light and fluffy. Sometimes neither blower is the right choice and I use the plow.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

On second thought, (i dont have a snowblower to reference) if those paddles are the same height as the rest of the auger you will end up cutting down further on the ground in one spot basically negating all the possible benefits...
Im gonna stop talking about it until I have one to look at myself...  :hide: :laughing-rollingyellow:
:text-offtopic:

But yes, the two stage will work on your tractor... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Forest Road

I run my 2 stage on a 314h. Also mounted it on a manual lift. No prob on the manual. If you're in fresh snow the single is the way to go. If it's had a day or two to firm up the dual stage cuts right through. The 14 hp is working hard. You're 16 will be just fine. It's like anything else more hp is never a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk