RMCIII

ONLY IN A JEEP!

RMCIII

Good evening WH fans;

How can 1 articulate in proper formatted words what a ZJ owner puts his/her ZJ though? I am not the best writer and I surely can't make something up like this. Here goes:

Anyone who lives in Cleveland knows that road construction is relentless, especially because of the RNC Convention, coming in 2016. I can be patient only for a while before my PAITENCE runs thin!!! Coming home tonight from downtown Cleveland it was bumper to bumper! I finally got to a s...ection of road that was "under construction" and had CPD posted at the appropriate mergers. I had been in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes. My commute home, on a bad day, takes 40 minutes. So I am approaching this merge/construction zone with CPD on the spot. Mind you I wear a suite, tie and dress shoes to work daily. I decide to "make an alternate route"! I jump a curb, climb up an incline and make my way across what appears to be a path that was made by a K-Tech 40 ton scraper pan. While the path looked smooth the ruts were ridicules! I was at the point of no return in a daily driver Jeep GC with only 82,000 babied miles on it and I was in my suite and tie......... Oh the stress and demise I was thinking! As I made way though uncharted ground, I crossed ruts, wash outs and very slippery slopes to climb. The CPD tried to stop my progress into the uncharted land, but my patience and "patience} had run out.
My dad had taught me in my earlier years to "lead, follow, or get the "h" out of the way". I chose to lead and 5 others decided to follow. All II can say is WHOOOOO, HOOOO for the GC that was ready to conquer the terrain in it's path.
Here are some photos of my daily driver. The photos do not describe the course the ZJ made for others to follow! How did AMC advertise at one time, "Only in a Jeep"?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Photo 6.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

In the early '70s I had an Olds Toronado (front wheel drive ) and was doing a little freelance trailblazing when a policeman on foot approached as I  crossed a mud puddle while the front wheels were slightly turned; not too sure what he wanted to tell me but the mud slinging from the left front tire covered him. Fortunately I didn't get stuck and he didn't get my tag number. I have the greatest of respect for our boys in blue, and hope he forgave me.   :ph34r:

• Like 1

Rob.A.700
I love Jeeps and unfortunately had to recently part ways with my TJ. I will someday own another... for now my wheels horses ease the pain lol
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  I remember...Chloe_109.thumb.jpg.3c4201fef91f3c8873e02Chloe_114.thumb.jpg.1d49a7e09d4a9022b1c  
Back in the good ol' Jeep days...sans computers   
:handgestures-salute:

• Like 3

mikekot3

I love my jeep cj7 it is fun to drive. Hope to again someday once I get it running again.

• Like 1

Rollerman

My wife drives a WJ Grand Cherokee Limited.
It's been a great SUV.
My only complaint is the Quadratrac cuts back on tire life.

Pic of my Cherokee XJ.
It's been another one of my many hobbies. :)
Bumpers, fender flares, front suspension redo.....never ending.

11269562_10206971053264018_2134609950_n.jpg

• Like 2

T-Mo

I'm pulling this old thread off the shelf to talk about.....Jeeps.

I have been a Jeep fan since before a lot of members here were even born.  I remember going to the dealer and looking at the CJs and Scramblers, etc.  I love the old Jeep trucks, Commondos, etc.  But I never own one myself.  I just couldn't justify owning a Jeep Wrangler.

But a few years ago, we did buy a Jeep Liberty.  It's now my wife's daily driver, so no suspension lifts, fender flares, off road stuff, etc.

So, it's time again to talk Jeep.

00K0K_gJwMUbmxPpr_600x450.jpg

Sparky

Funny you bring this up Terry....I'm cruising Craigslist pricing out Jeeps now! Considering something with a small plow. Father in law is 80 and still clears his 2 driveways with a shovel and a walk behind blower. But years of smoking Pall-Malls and Lucky Strikes have destroyed his lungs (he quit probably 20 years ago but the damage was done by then). 

Figure I could have a fun summer cruiser and clear him out in the winter.

Mike.....

• Like 1

js5020

Jeep,,, did someone say Jeep? :banana-parachute:  I'm in.  I've had a few over the years, started with an older CJ5 GM V8 swap, GM steering swap, loved it except for the winter and no heat.  I now have an original 79 CJ5 Silver Anniversary out in the shop currently for a frame off and new body, it will be a daily driver when I get it finished.  I also have a Grand Cherokee which lost another transmission that will be headed to scrap once the yard firms up.

C-85

My '79 CJ-5 in winter mode

photo_zps134e31da.jpg

Summer mode

DSC_0149_zpsd68c4d58.jpg

amc_logo.png.9bb06a4c72aac4c3aaa1be9ba40c817f.png58e51edddaa99__57ll.JPG.b0658cd468840f11e4610ee66529db13.JPG

Let's keep these Jeeps going, like our Wheel Horses!

C-85

• Like 5

nylyon

Used to have a 1965 J200 Pickup, bought my 1990 Wrangler Laredo new (sure do miss that Jeep) but currently have a 2001 Cherokee Limited (XJ) and a 2016 Cherokee Limited (KL), great Jeeps!

• Like 2

T-Mo

Karl, I would love to see pics of that '65 PU, if you have any (I'm thinking not since none is posted).  My brother-in-law has a 2001 Cherokee Sport.  2001 was the last year for that body style of Cherokee, as 2002 the Liberty replaced it.  My '04 Liberty has the same transmission as his '01 Cherokee.

Ken B

I'm a big fan of the old Wagoneers, Jeep pickups and the CJ's. I've owned 3 Cherokee Sports that were all great and my wife had a 2013 Wrangler. My every day is a 2002 Grand Cherokee that I've owned for over 10 yrs (a record for me) that has been a great vehicle. I bought it with 40,000 miles, it now has 200,000. it still looks good and I'd drive it anywhere. I've only had to do regular maintenance on it. Pretty hard too kill the 4.0 6 cylinder. I'm thinking of semi retiring my Grand Cherokee so my son Cole can have it to drive next year. I think I'll look for a low mileage Grand Cherokee, I know any quirks they have and you can find them reasonably priced.

• Like 6

T-Mo

Ken,

I also love the old Wagoneers.  My aunt had a Grand Wagoneer, complete with the wood siding.  I know they weren't good on gas, but by golly, they were great trucks.

BTW, it looks like per that second video, you don't need a snow plow when you have a Jeep, it will just plow the snow for you.

12 hp Kohler

Any one on here have a willys if so I would love to see some pictures I will start off with a picture of my dads 1947 willysIMG_0041.thumb.PNG.788dd33f2e24c5c42cc1952ef9e309a6.PNG

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Although, not a Willys-Overland...

it was my first brand new AMC.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Chloe109.jpg

• Like 4

12 hp Kohler

Nice 

JAinVA

Looks like vintage Norseman tires on the Willys.Wish someone would produce a similar tread pattern in a modern radial.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA

shallowwatersailor

Not a Willys but it was hard back then to keep my '78 CJ-7 clean. In 1979 we drove from Illinois to Colorado and South Dakota to do some FourWheelin'. That's when the 55 mph speed limit was in effect and there were Smokeys every five miles! It took us three days to reach Denver!

It kills me every time these days I see a Jeep all jacked up - that never sees even a gravel driveway!  :twocents-02cents:

58f55c7bdf226_78JeepCJ-7.1.jpg.0a8f1c54676c1cbeb7155abd2892597e.jpg

58f55c682730b_78JeepCJ-7.2.jpg.72a3b4030d65f1d1224195b4517dade7.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 6

12 hp Kohler
11 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

It kills me every time these days I see a Jeep all jacked up - that never sees even a gravel driveway!  :twocents-02cents:

58f55c7bdf226_78JeepCJ-7.1.jpg.0a8f1c54676c1cbeb7155abd2892597e.jpg

58f55c682730b_78JeepCJ-7.2.jpg.72a3b4030d65f1d1224195b4517dade7.jpg

I feel the same way, why would you by a jeep if your not going to use it.

• Like 1

JAinVA

I know this was a Jeep thread but I LOVE the Ford pickups.I bought a new F150 4x4 in 77 and still have it.The guy in the red shirt reminds me of my look  back in the day.Thanks for the memories.JimAnderson

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

I am also going of topic, that line of dirt bikes behind the jeep is pretty awesome look like some cool old bikes.

• Like 1

Achto

Unfortunately no Jeeps for me to show off. I do how ever have a pic of a GT  that is on my bucket list. It was inspired by a man who loved driving Jeeps during his military service.

87a910594c6c9dbe0e430976d889a39d.jpg.749690efb1ff84e1deca21d4b513e0df.jpg

The Roof Palomino is definitely a GT that I wish to own someday. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

classicdmax

Sorry, not a Willys...but still a jeep

got it for free in 2010 because it "didn't run". Put a battery in it and turned it over, fired right up. Turned out to be a bad computer which I eventually found.

some mods since:

frame swap

engine swap

ford 8.8 in rear

d44 in queue up front

lots of $$$ later

here she is

IMG_0038.thumb.JPG.b4932820559df29c6336f3d4f8b12e00.JPGIMG_0139.thumb.JPG.670f191c900673c406113c4346acdaba.JPG

• Like 5

12 hp Kohler

beautiful little jeep there 

Looks like a lot of fun, my dad willys had a v4 swapped out for a v6 we also have a nice winch for it but haven't gotten to put it on. My dad did have the front axle locked on the willys but then he broke it while driving over a tree on my four wheel re trail