ernie laware

engine replacement

ernie laware

Could use some help with this.
Local guy has 520 H with Honda 24 hp replaced engine.
Was told years ago that if doing a replacement, that other engines would not hold up due to the pressure placed on the bearings when pto clutch is engaged causing the shaft to push through engine.
What's right for engine replacement on 400 and 500 series tractors.
Thanks Ernie

WNYPCRepair

I have seen others recommend an electric PTO for replacement engines. 

mikekot3

I have just converted my 416-8 with a briggs and stratton vanguard 23hp v-twin from small engine warehouse.  The kit is well done with needed brackets and the engine is prewired to connect directly to the wheel horse molex connector.  The kit also works on WH 520 tractors.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I have just converted my 416-8 with a briggs and stratton vanguard 23hp v-twin from small engine warehouse.  The kit is well done with needed brackets and the engine is prewired to connect directly to the wheel horse molex connector.  The kit also works on WH 520 tractors.

I forgot about those kits. Do they come with, or recommend, an electric PTO?

pfrederi

Bottom line look at the specs for the engine in question.  If it has ball bearings on the crankshaft you are OK with a WH manual PTO.  Sleeve bearings...or no mention the look for an electric PTO or install an external ball bearing like WH did with B&S motors many years ago

• Like 1

clem

The engine needs a thrust bearing on the crankshaft in order to handle the load applied by the pto. I used a honda gx 690 engine to replace a used up kt 17 on my 417a, because it has a thrust bearing. If you cant find anyone that knows about the engine in question, a service manual should be available on the internet somewhere with a parts list.

mikekot3

The manual PTO is transferred from the Onan engine. I did need to make a shorter key stock piece than the old one. I bought a bag of ten 1/4 by 1 inch key stock from graingers for about 7 dollars. I cut it with a hack saw and then chamfered the edges with a flat file.

There is one honda 24 hp i saw on northern tool that was rated for PTO also but it was not a conversion kit.

Don1977

I ran a 16 HP Vanguard for 20 years with the manual clutch. 95% of that was mowing. The Vanguards have a ball bearing on the PTO side.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I ran a 16 HP Vanguard for 20 years with the manual clutch. 95% of that was mowing. The Vanguards have a ball bearing on the PTO side.

Good to know. 

Vanguard is the Harbor Freight engines, correct?

ernie laware

Vanguard is a Briggs engine, one of the best--believe they are made for them by mitsubishi

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Vanguard is a Briggs engine, one of the best--believe they are made for them by mitsubishi

Ah, yes, the HF engines are Predator

can whlvr

nonda gx 390,s have large ball bearings,im surprised the larger ones don't,they probally do