erickson13455

D160 snow chute plugs up

erickson13455

Well it is almost time for winter.  I remember the past few winters trying to blow snow and the chute constantly plugs up.  I can see all the snow on the blower melting from the heat of the engine and the mufflers.  Has anyone modified the air flow to prevent the blower from getting hot.  I usually blow snow for 5 minutes, unplug the chute, then use the back blade to finish.  I should be able to just use the blower.  I have tried going very slow, a crawl, just to make sure I wasn't over loading the blower, but it doesn't help.  I did try spraying the chute down with WD-40 before last winter and that didn't help either.
Please help

Ed Kennell
On my single stage tall chute blower, I put a smaller pulley on the blower to increase the auger RPM and installed a rubber paddle on the auger to close the gap with the housing.
Also find the blower works best when the forward speed is kept fast enough to keep the blower full of snow.
  • Like 4

gwest_ca

My dad has a Jacobsen that exhausts the engine air and muffler out the front. We made a frame that holds about a 24" high x 30" wide piece of sheet metal and mounted it behind the chute on the snowblower frame. It didn't work well because the air just went around it. We then pulled the left side of the frame back about 3" and that deflected all the air to the right which did work. His single muffler outlet is in the right side of the grill so going to the right was the shortest distance to get rid of the exhaust heat.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

PaulC

what shape is the paint on your blower and chute? I found that last year after I made new chutes with fresh paint and then graphite spray that they blew a lot better and had almost no clogs the entire year.

tommyg

I can't say I've ever had problems with this on my D180. Which way is the exhaust pointing? Should be out to the left and right if you still have the stock mufflers. I've never coated my chute with anything and I think maybe twice I've had a clog in only the wettest snow.

alswagg

I run mine at WOT. full speed forward. Not a problem for me.  If I go really slow the shoot will clog .  

DennisThornton

WOT unless there is NO snow in the chute.  On different than yours blower I added rubber wipers to the impeller blades so it now has near "0" clearance and WHAT a difference that made!

Cold light and fluffy is seldom an issue with any blower but slush is just awfull!  I have a 35hp pushing a 74" 2 stage and I have a time or two just given up.  Haven't installed the rubber wipers on it yet so maybe I should move that task up the list.

Tuneup

This brings back memories of our 7HP Simplicity single stage which had the same problem. Back in the early 70s, silicone spray worked pretty well but had to be applied before each use. The muffler had a heat deflector attachment as part of the snow thrower kit. I would think today's dry sprays would do much better.

I remember standing in the drifts shoveling the high snow into the path. Good memories.

Dirtdog524

I have often wondered about Por-15 for the chute assembly. It dries rock hard and would take alot of abuse before it wore through

Digger 66
On 12/31/2015 at 9:41 AM, DennisThornton said:

I added rubber wipers to the impeller blades so it now has near "0" clearance and WHAT a difference that made!

I'm doing that ^^^ to the old walk-behind Ariens this summer .

erickson13455

bringing thread to life again.  1st snow fall, tried to use the old blower and the chute plugged up.  This was really light fluffy snow.  I put a deflector shield in front of the exhaust pipes, and the grill.  The hot air blows out to the sides now.  Still no luck.  The chute is in not so good paint condition.  What is best method to remedy.  Does it need repainting, or some spray.  It would be nice to use the wheelhorse instead of the walk behind MTD.

wallfish

You're going to slow. IMO the answer is in Ed's first reply to this thread, keep the forward speed of the tractor fast enough to load the blower. Best performance seems to be just as the engine begins to strain and you hear the governor kick in. Single stages work best loaded with snow. Don't start out slow and speed up, get right into it from the start because once that chute clogs, it tends to stay clogged. Get out there and test speeding up. After a little while you should get used to what speed for what snow conditions then you'll be throwing 20 - 30 ft consistently

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     Exactly John.   And this is why I will only use hydros for blowing snow.         The blower always turns at max RPM, and the forward speed is adjusted to keep the blower full of snow.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

And this does help,Home Depot or Lowe's, use before each session on a dry unit,Jeff

IMAG2660.jpg

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

agree with the comments, rubber on the paddles, spray the chute, good paint smooth surface on chute, slow driving speed high rpm on snowblower.  it all adds up.

Glenn

erickson13455

Has anyone modified their snow chute.  I see some of the 520's have the chute open right above the thrower.  No metal to clog up.  Thoughts on cutting that chute open?

Thanks,

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, erickson13455 said:

Has anyone modified their snow chute.  I see some of the 520's have the chute open right above the thrower.  No metal to clog up.  Thoughts on cutting that chute open?

Thanks,

Quite honestly I believe having the solid "stone guard" has helped NOT hindered with not clogging and as a side benefit increased my throwing distance on both the single and 2stage tall chute throwers/blowers but that's just my :twocents-02cents:,Jeff

IMAG0530.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, erickson13455 said:

Thanks,

Quite honestly I believe having the solid "stone guard" has helped NOT hindered with not clogging and as a side benefit increased my throwing distance on both the single and 2stage tall chute throwers/blowers but that's just my :twocents-02cents:,Jeff

IMAG0530.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  I agree with Jeff.    My tall chute was open when I got it and when I added the front closure , I believe it improved the performance.

IMG_4136.JPG

• Like 2

Duramax7man7
On 12/12/2016 at 8:32 AM, erickson13455 said:

bringing thread to life again.  1st snow fall, tried to use the old blower and the chute plugged up.  This was really light fluffy snow.  I put a deflector shield in front of the exhaust pipes, and the grill.  The hot air blows out to the sides now.  Still no luck.  The chute is in not so good paint condition.  What is best method to remedy.  Does it need repainting, or some spray.  It would be nice to use the wheelhorse instead of the walk behind MTD.

I'm not that familiar with the D series tractors, but have you Checked to make sure the auger is spinning at maximum speed? Maybe youre chute is clogging because of low pressure on your PTO clutch....?

Anyway, just an idea.... 

Edited by Mastiffman

WVHillbilly520H

@Ed Kennell, not to change the subject as I see we're on the same wavelength with cabs/blower mods, how do like running front chains?do they actually help with the steering?was comptemplating AG/lug tires for the front on my main blower tractor but looking forward to your input,Jeff.

Duramax7man7

I have agros on the front my 520h and with the snow blower and I only get good traction if I lift the full blower off the skids a smidge... so Id like to get a little more frot end weight. Mayne some front wheel weights and weight in the front of the hood... 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Ed Kennell, not to change the subject as I see we're on the same wavelength with cabs/blower mods, how do like running front chains?do they actually help with the steering?was comptemplating AG/lug tires for the front on my main blower tractor but looking forward to your input,Jeff.

It definitely helps Jeff.    But I had an interference with the right chain and the idler pulley and belt, so I had to take that one off.    I plan to try the bicycle chain type next winter.

• Like 1

Sarge

I run a set of of BKT ags on the front of my D-180 for better steering tracking when using the 56" blade - they help quite a bit . At times on really slick hard pack or ice I do have to pick up on the blade a little but it beats running the turf tires and I intend to use this thing a lot to move dirt/rock .

installed 6.jpg

Sarge

wallfish
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I plan to try the bicycle chain type next

Use #40 chain. The smaller bicycle chain tends to roll on the tire.

18 hours ago, erickson13455 said:

Thanks,

Were you able to get out and test speeding up for loading the blower, Check the belt tension or PTO slipping?

Guaranteed the chute is not the biggest problem for clogging as they are used as-is every year by many people. The tall chute does tend to give better performance for distance with less clogging and much less splatter but they will also clog up if there isn't enough snow loaded into the blower, belt or PTO slipping. Wet heavy slushy snow is the worst for clogging them up but running WOT and enough ground speed will limit the clogging up of the chute no matter what style chute.

• Like 1