1964 704

1964 704 is Alive!

1964 704

Hi All, after tinkering around with my '64 704 for what seems like forever, I finally got it to the point that it is rideable and near completion. The original pull start motor had a sticking exhaust valve, so I replaced it with a later model k181 with the starter attached to it, converting it to electric start. Of course it had to be wired to make everything work, and I ended up using a motorcycle battery, since a standard garden tractor battery won't fit (starter encroaches into the battery box area). After searching this site, and discussing my options with other members, I decided to attach the regulator/rectifier via metal straps to right side of the frame above where the belt guard is (there are a couple of pre-drilled holes from the factory already there, so I bolted the straps there).

I took it out yesterday for a shakedown run around my yard for about 25 mins with the only issue being the throttle will not lock in place. While working on it over this past year, It seemed like once I thought it was ready to go, something else would throw me a curve ball, (couldn't get it to rev past 1/2 throttle, governor not working, dead battery etc.) but it's all sorted now and running like a champ. It fires right up (after I figured out that full choke and about 1/4 throttle does the trick) and is reading a little over 14 volts when running, and the battery shows over 13 volts when I shut it off, so the charging system is functioning as designed. I can't tell you how elated I am that this 51 year old garden tractor is finally alive.

This 704 is in it's original somewhat crusty patina, and I haven't decided if I should repaint it or not. I'm open to suggestions.

Attached is a picture of it when I first got it in March or 2013, in the picture it has the original K161 motor with an aftermarket bolt on electric starter.

Thanks to all that have provided suggestions in the past.

Wheelhorse 704 2013.jpg

• Like 9

WH nut

I just love my 704. Do you have a deck with it?

AMC RULES
Congrats...   :greetings-clapyellow:
hows it look now? 

WH nut

They are a work horse

Ooops.jpg

• Like 8

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:              Love to see a round hood in work cloths, nothing wrong with that.             :woohoo:
  • Like 4

1964 704

Yes, it has the original deck, I think it's an RM364 (it's a square deck with 2 18" blades) , it also has the dozer blade, and a grader type of blade that goes under it in the middle. I still need to pick up the snow blower for it as well. I will take some pictures of it this week and post them, but overall it doesn't look a whole lot different other than the shiny red motor.

It also has some sort of plow type of implement with it. I have fairly new turf tires that I will put on it, and it came with a spare front axle with the tires attached. I would love to get a set of AG tires for it too.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
You mean...    :scratchead:
ags for the front too? 
  • Like 1

1964 704

no, just ags for the rear,

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks like a little brute of a tank. Wheel horse muscle.

Glenn

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

This 704 is in it's original somewhat crusty patina, and I haven't decided if I should repaint it or not. I'm open to suggestions.

Wheelhorse 704 2013.jpg

Looks kinda tough as is, don't ya think?

• Like 1

WHX??

Admit it AMC you want them ags on the front...you NEED them ags on the front...think I stole that from a movie....would be sharp tho...

Edited by WHX5
  • Like 2

squonk

I've used my 704 for everything but a grocery getter. Here's my favorite glamour shot! 704.thumb.jpg.09e617e5e07057451baa28f9c2

• Like 8

WHX??

So what's the problem with a grocery getter?

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Admit it AMC you want them ags on the front...you NEED them ags on the front...think I stole that from a movie....would be sharp tho...

ok Ncholson.........you did it perfect

glenn

• Like 2

squonk

So what's the problem with a grocery getter?

I'm afraid if I drive it to  the store, the Amish might steal it! :) :ychain:

• Like 2

1964 704

Not only is it alive, I mowed my lawn today with it. Still a work in progress, but it's getting there slowly but surely. As promised, below are some pictures of the 704.

Wheelhorse 704 Nov 9 2015.jpg

Wheelhorse 704 November 9 2015.jpg

• Like 9

Brian01

Nice Tractor, how much would shipping be to 65704? LOL

• Like 1

Ken B

Looks pretty good as it is.. maybe the correct size and style rear tires and rims and a repaint of the rims...

1964 704

I have newish rear turf tires mounted on clean rims, just haven't put them on yet. These rear tires had been filled with calcium chloride, and it has rusted away the inside of the rims.

AlwaysLookin80

I like the patina. That's a cool 704. Very hard to find out by me. 

• Like 1

Brian01

I like the patina. That's a cool 704. Very hard to find out by me. 

i aagree, Do Not paint it, leave it be, awesome look!

The red kohler engine tin, really stands out!