RMiller

312-8 Going slow in all gears

Don1977

Low range is also handy if you get stuck. I've switch to low when all I could do in high range is spin, and it crawled right out. I have also used low range in my 4x4 when stuck to keep from having to get out in the mud to lock the front hubs. I worked just as well on my truck.
  • Like 2

popcat

I'm bumping this thread because the title sounds like I may have this problem with mine.

I'm aware and have used all eight gear selections. 

Low range would be useless for me, all gearing is way too low for my use. 

In high range 1st feels no different than any gear in low range. 

2nd is a little faster, (still in high range). 3rd will pop the wheels off the ground and is too fast to use mowing (2nd is a bit slow for mowing).

Does this sound like I may have an issue to you who have more experience with this fine machine?

MalMac

Sounds to me things are operating normally. I would say your not having a slipping hub issue if your popping wheelies. Some people have changed the speed ratios by changing drive pulley sizes. What's on there now is what the engineers felt gave the best cut to the deck size power ratio.  This subject has been discussed on here before. Maybe someone else will chime in. The Wheel Horse is a tried and true method of cutting grass. With that said the engineers have come along way with different ideas on deck, blade design to help speed up mowing speeds. Example- the zero turn Dixie Chopper. There are all other kinds of ideas out there to speed up your tractor but how efficient it makes it I am not sure. Myself I am happy in second gear. Down to first if grass high enough. 

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 2

popcat

I dont know what to ecpect but I'd be willing to hop on it with a GPS and log actual speeds. 

Like I mentioned, I would be creeping in high 1st, 2 high may be ideal for cutting high grass but seems slow to me and 3 high seems way too fast to mow efficiently.

pfrederi

The low ranges are for using a tiller or a snowblower in deep snow first pass.

2nd is mowing speed Third for sweeping trailer work etc.  If you want more speeds try a hydro

Lagersolut

Low range works wonders pulling out on a hill with the grass bags 1/2 -3/4 full - my yard isn't level and sometimes I need that easy does it to keep the front down or traction .

953 nut
On 5/5/2016 at 6:47 AM, popcat said:

2 high may be ideal for cutting high grass but seems slow to me

It is all about the relationship between the speed of the blade tips and the movement of the :wh:. If you were going any faster the cut would be ragged. 

TALMADGE

Low and slow. The faster you get done the sooner you go back inside..

gwest_ca

Approximate speeds at full throttle

Low range 1st  -  .5 mph

Low range 2nd  - .8 mph

Low range 3rd  - 1.4 mph

High range 1st  - 2.0 mph

High range 2nd - 3.2 mph

High range 3rd  - 5.5 mph

Garry

• Like 2

popcat

Thanks again Garry.

I'll put the old gps to and see what I get.

Read another thread about some sloppiness in the shifters. I'm also going to pop the top and check this too. Mine is pretty sloppy but feels like everything is engaging.

gwest_ca

One thing that could influence the speed is the engine rpm. I can't tell the difference between 3000 rpm and 3400 rpm without a tachometer. It does not sound like much but 3000 rpm needs another 13.3% to get to 3400 - the maximum no-load engine speed recommended.

2.8 mph at 3000 rpm will be 3.2 mph at 3400 rpm.

Garry