RedRidingHorse

What Wheel Horse is this?

RedRidingHorse

Hello, 

I'm new to this site, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot.  My father past away late last year and left with us, among other things, his favorite Wheel Horse tractor.  It stopped working about a decade ago and has been sitting in the shed ever since, but it was always his dream to get it running again.  I don't really know much about tractors, but I have to say that it would be really neat to get it working again.  As you can see from the photos, it would need a lot of work.  My dad wanted to have it as a functioning tractor, so before he passed away he bought a newer engine to mount in it in order to get it working with the hopes of rebuilding the old engine eventually.  There's a guy who works on old tractors that we know who said he could install the newer motor (not the one in the picture) and get it functioning with the deck for about $400.  He said he could also rebuild the old engine eventually, but finding parts, etc., would take a bit of time.

I looked all over the tractor itself, but couldn't find a model or serial number.  Judging from the serial number on the engine and doing a Google search, it looks like it could be a 1961 Wheel Horse (maybe??).  

Here are my main questions: 

• Is this a hopeless project or could this be worth restoring?
  • If it is worth it, should I be getting it sandblasted and repainted first?  
  • Does sandblasting and repainting drastically increase/decrease the value (I'm not planning on selling it, but if I were to restore it, it would be nice to do it correctly--just in case one were to sell it eventually)?
20151019_150815.thumb.jpg.a9aea1938abbfd
20151019_150804.thumb.jpg.f8c129acc81393
20151019_152043.thumb.jpg.81f476beddf47020151019_152050.thumb.jpg.9f9196ac860088
  • Like 5

953 nut
:WRS:   Your father's tractor is a 1960 Suburban 550, it looks very nice and has several good features including the foot rests and tow hitch. :twocents-02cents: I think you would be  best off to put your money into the original engine now rather than later. As for the body work if you want to just clean it up and enjoy it as is then paint it later on that would be my feeling.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
Model 550 - 1960 Lawn & Garden Tractor Surburban 4-Speed Tecumseh H55B-1170 5.5 Wheel Horse 5010

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/29908-1960-550/

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Racinbob

The others gave you the model. You have the original throttle/choke controls too. Part of the dozer blade as well. Do you have the blade itself? I'm with Richard on the motor. save it now and just enjoy it. Stick around here and learn more and you can always restore it later. $400 to install your motor and deck seems very steep and it's not a difficult job. As far as restoring it, do what you want. The value difference isn't much. The hood can be repaired or maybe you could fine another one that wasn't cut. It's a great family heirloom. :) Enjoy the forum. It's a great place.

• Like 2

RedRanger

Very nice inheritance.  If it means as much to you as it did your dad then keep it and enjoy it.
I'd get the original engine running and use it as is.  Don't mess with repainting.  They're only original once.
You've got the original hitch, foot pads, tires in nice shape, nice steering wheel, solid rims, and part of a snow plow there.  All fairly hard things to find.
Do you have a mower deck too?

I'd clean it up, oil down or buff the paint, fix the original engine, and enjoy it.

• Like 2

RedRidingHorse
:thanks:Thank you so much for all of your responses and very good advice!  We have the original mower deck and snow plow and they seem to be in pretty good condition.  I just went outside and took a photo of what we have in the shed (sorry for not moving the other stuff in the way, but it's kind of a mess out there now).  The mower and the snow plow (leaning against the shed in the middle of the photo) seem to be in very good condition.  I believe my father also used the black tiller (correct term?) on the right side of the photo.  There is also some sort of wheel brush (just to the left of the mow deck) and possibly a black leaf collector (hanging above the deck) which may or may not have been used with the Wheel Horse.  All of these should be somewhat visible from the photo, but if not I can try to take some better pictures this weekend. 

Looking at the picture of the Engine, it says "Drain oil after 10 hours of running and refill crankcase with new oil."  Is this truly the case?  Does this engine really need to be drained and refilled every 10 hours?

Thank you again!
20151019_165506.thumb.jpg.f471c638c4f214

Edited by RedRidingHorse
unnecessary photo accidentally added
  • Like 1

KC9KAS
@RedRidingHorse :WRS: You have a very nice piece of family history with the Wheel Horse.
Fix the original engine and enjoy the tractor!
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
Tecumseh recommends every 10 hrs...                      :hilarious:
so, in this perfect world...that's what you should do...twice daily.  
  • Like 4

roadapples

I`m sure no one else on here has a messy shed. Seriously though,  Dad left you a nice little tractor with some nice  attachments. I agree with the original engine. The guys on hear can help with parts and rebuild. I think the brush is part of the leaf collector. Welcome to Red Square and good luck.

• Like 1

Shynon

Nice looking horse, great to see you want to keep her in the family. I would keep her original , repair and install original motor. Enjoy what your Dad left for you. And :WRS:from a fellow Minnesotan.

• Like 2

WHX??
:text-yeahthat:  Don't expect any monies to be gained from spending money on it. You will likely spend more money than its worth. Don't ever plan on selling unless you get really hungry it as it may have no value to some others than  parts on ebay. Restoring or just getting it running  would be strictly a labor of love and a tribute to your Dad. Guaranteed to make you think of your Dad when you take it for a ride... Shynon knows. You don't have to know anything about this tractor, there are folks here that do and would be more than willing to help. 
:WRS:
  • Like 5

Pullstart

Welcome to redsquare and great story!  That tractor looks like it has every 1960 bell and whistle that it could have!  Have fun with it and it'll be a great way to say hi to dad when you're using it.  I have a few things from my grandpa and love to have his stuff in my hands when I'm talking to him.  Enjoy

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
RedRidingHorse :WRS: I enjoyed your post very much.  As I looked at your pictures that says a lot about how your father took care of this tractor.  He took pride in what he had. I like the engine label the most. Because that is how we did things in this country we went the extra mile to do it right the first time.I am with our fellow members Rebuild the Tecky you be happy you did and you will also keeping Americana alive. Take Care Gary    B..............
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

This is the kind of "What Wheel Horse is it" discussion that I love.  Not only an answer but lots of details as to why!  What the differences are!
This is great guys!  Thanks!

Now my 2 cents to you, RedRidingHorse, do NOT do a complete restore!  (Gadds that was hard for an old autobody/painter to say!)  Keep the original patina!  Clean it up, sure!  But no sandblasting!  NO!  And very limited painting!

And for you other guys that know so much more than I do about these treasures, what's all that stuff hanging off the front end?  I read plow, but that's different than what I expected!

And I know what a slot hitch is, but what's that other thing?  That an OEM hitch?  The seat?  And back rest?  Was this their "1960 Cadillac"?

• Like 1

Racinbob

Dennis, that thingy on the front is the bracket for the dozer blade. The frames you are thinking of that mounted to the rear axle started with the 701. The piece in the slot hitch was to lift the mower deck. The hitch above it was a factory accessory that was available for the 5003/5010 transmission tractors when the slot hitch was being used for the deck lift. 55 years on Wheel Horses and I just learned that a few months ago. Ain't this a great site? The seat back may be factory but it doesn't look quite right. I'm pretty sure they weren't available in 1960 but shortly afterwards. One of the easy add-ons that can be confused for original if I'm correct on that.

Oh yea, the seat itself may be correct or maybe not. Seats with holes, seats without, who knows for sure. It was an often replaced item. You look at the original owners manual and you see the holes so I'd say correct.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

Dennis, that thingy on the front is the bracket for the dozer blade. The frames you are thinking of that mounted to the rear axle started with the 701. The piece in the slot hitch was to lift the mower deck. The hitch above it was a factory accessory that was available for the 5003/5010 transmission tractors when the slot hitch was being used for the deck lift. 55 years on Wheel Horses and I just learned that a few months ago. Ain't this a great site? The seat back may be factory but it doesn't look quite right. I'm pretty sure they weren't available in 1960 but shortly afterwards. One of the easy add-ons that can be confused for original if I'm correct on that.

My, my.  Learned so much and so much more to go.  But i love it!

Thank you!  

(got to go now and do stuff now but remember to come back and take notes about what he said.  Normal dozer blades didn't even start until 1961!  Weird stuff before that!  Mounted off the front somehow but still strong arm lifted!  Something about a rear OEM hitch that could be used independently I think, even though the slot hitch was being used (it was connected to the deck!)  Handy I suppose for a cart or?  And the deck could be adjusted without effecting the cart or whatever?  Be sure to follow up for any replies tomorrow.  OK)

• Like 1

AMC RULES
...and this :wh: has already been repainted at least once in it's previous life, saving it's original paint/patina is already out of the question.
Which means, doing a restoration repaint at this point, wouldn't be a bad thing.
   :handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 3

squonk
Tecumseh recommends every 10 hrs...                      :hilarious:
so, in this perfect world...that's what you should do...twice daily.  

Well no wonder I had so many problems. As I recall, oil was 20 cents a quart and I cheapened out! :)

• Like 3

AMC RULES
Yeah Mike...    :angry-nono:
not twice(if that) in the entire life of the engine.
  • Like 1