Lyman1234

Hi all, hope everything is well. I picked up a Lawn Ranger yesterday which lucky enough was a barn find. All parts are there and the unit looks complete. Even ran when we pulled it (little rough) but after sitting for apparently 25 years we thought that was wonderful. Here is were I am getting stuck. I am trying to identify the year and the Yahoo club does not post the serial number list anymore. The serial number is A-72425. I have attached some pics. If you all have an idea if this is a 34, of L etc. I would appreciate. This one will be in my collection fully restored this summer.............can't wait. 

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

• Like 3

Shynon

Looks like a 34R, no battery tray or key switch.
oh by the way nice find:handgestures-thumbup:. nice original rub her down with some oil will look great.

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1

Lyman1234

That is the way I was leaning, Thanks

slammer302

its hard to say the hood seems wrong but im not sure. here is a pic of what i believe to be a 32R or 33R hope it will help for sum comparisons 

barrys pics 308.jpg

I looked in the picture gallery and your hood does look correct for 1964 LR

KC9KAS
@Lyman1234 Nice save, and :WRS:

That is the same hood that is on my 654 (1964 model). Edited by KC9KAS

sorekiwi

I agree with the others 1964.  

DennisThornton

Notes from others here:

"'62 to '64 Rangers have round fenders, after that they went to a squared off fender pan.
'62 and '63 had an aluminum fuel tank with the dash on the back of it, '64 had a longer hood that came back around the steering column."

953 nut
:WRS:   Here is your owner's manual, definetly a 1964, but not sure if it was born an"E" or an"R:. if it has a key switch and starter button then it is an "E", if not then an "R". Eather way you found a nice one.     
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1692-tractor-1964-34e-34r-lawn-ranger-da-ipl-wiring-snpdf/
:text-welcomeconfetti:

Terry M

its hard to say the hood seems wrong but im not sure. here is a pic of what i believe to be a 32R or 33R hope it will help for sum comparisons

barrys pics 308.jpg

I looked in the picture gallery and your hood does look correct for 1964 LR

The 64( Lawn Ranger) is the only year with that hood and rear fender configuration. Let me try to find a pic of mine...post-5864-0-51224400-1417222696_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Lyman1234

Thanks guys for all the help. Glad to start my fourth restore. This little guy is missing nothing but the steering wheel logo. Dave 

Shynon
:WRS:

Here is your owner's manual, definetly a 1964, but not sure if it was born an"E" or an"R:. if it has a key switch and starter button then it is an "E", if not then an "R". Eather way you found a nice one.     

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1692-tractor-1964-34e-34r-lawn-ranger-da-ipl-wiring-snpdf/
:text-welcomeconfetti:

34E would have only a key  switch , 34R would have a toggle switch. I don't believe a push button was used in 1964. 

Lyman1234

Now to find a snow blower and plow to round out this find.  

Terry M

Thanks guys for all the help. Glad to start my fourth restore. This little guy is missing nothing but the steering wheel logo. Dave

Glen Pettit sells the steering wheel insert with Logo for a reasonable price( in my opinion)...Look him up under the vendors section.

Shynon

I am really liking the original paint, oil her up and she will look great, once you paint the look is gone forever, they are getting harder to find in that condition. If you were closer I would trade you a restorable 34R for that one. But again this is your tractor to do what you want to. Oh and :text-welcomeconfetti:

Lyman1234

Hey Shynon. Explain to me what you mean.  I would love to keep it original. Thanks

Lyman1234

Holy cow I love that!!!! So should I wash down the entire tractor with like simple green then hit with 600 Grit wet/dry then wd40.  I see you mention 1000 grit. Very nice!!!!

sorekiwi

A normal short frame plow fits on an early Ranger just fine:

IMG_1973.jpg

• Like 1

slammer302

I have good luck just using a sos pad and a water hose and wipe it down with 10w-30 oil the first time to get it oiled up good then wd-40 a couple days later after the oil has set in good. If you go with the 600grit sand paper be careful to not rub through the paint it can happen pretty easy 

IMG_20150823_120803605_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Lyman1234

Ok, I'm convinced. Keeping original. Thanks for all the great info......any other advice feel free to keep it coming. Thanks again guys!!!!

• Like 1

953 nut

I have used 0000 Steel Wool with WD-40 as a lubricant, no sanding and no detergent.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very nice find..

Lyman1234

Thanks Wishin......... just fell upon it and there it was lol. 

Lyman1234

Hi all, maybe you can help me. I finally got everything cleaned and oiled. However, I am having a blank on trying to figure out how to get the mower belt around the gear drive pulley. I am STUMPED!!!. :)

The pulley on the deck itself. Not the PTO pulley. Thanks again. 

slammer302

Under the deck there is a cast iron piece that hold your spindles in place you need to unbolt it to get the gears on top to come loose so you can slide the belt under them its hard to explain in words hope this helps