infernus

So, I destroyed my carburetor

infernus

I cracked open my very dirty carb for my C160 today since the whole fuel system was gummed up bad to start a rebuild.  I pulled the needles out and cleaned it up a bit.  There was corrosion on the throttle plate, so I attempted to remove that, and broke a screw head off and got the other one out no problem.  I successfully drilled out and retapped the throttle shaft.  Then on to the main jet that was REALLY stuck, bad enough where I was mungin' it up pretty good.  So I decided to use the torch... having some success heating aluminum.  Nope, not this time... it turned to mud in a heartbeat.  That ended that project.:unsure::laughing-rofl:

So anyways, I see there are new carburetors for fairly cheap.  Is that something I can get through my dealer (they're closed today) or am I better off getting one online?

20151003_125846.jpg

rmaynard

The imported aftermarket ones on eBay are pretty good. Just make sure you get one with the right choke lever and SAE hardware. Don't try to screw an original fitting into one that is metric.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

squonk

To get one cheap better go online.

AMC RULES
If using Ebay...       :flags-waveusa:  :handgestures-thumbupright:   :flags-waveusa:  
be sure to pick one from a US based seller too. 

Ed Kennell

OK,  now we know why your name is inferno,infernus, inferni.  :angry-extinguishflame::icecream:

• Like 5

rmaynard

...So I decided to use the torch....

and that is when he said, "hold my beer and watch this"...

• Like 7

bds1984

I've purchased two off ebay.  One for my C165 and one for my 312-8 with the Magnum engine.  The carb I ordered for the 312 was for a K301 which worked just fine but I had to use the choke hardware from the original carb otherwise the choke level is completely opposite in operation.  Don't sweat it.  Just order it, install, tune if needed, and never look back.

infernus

That's what I did... ordered the replica carb.  $45  Works great, but yeah that choke shaft being upside down was a project in itself.  Both screws broke off in the old choke shaft, so I had to drill and tap (new carb choke screws are 3mm-0.5) and broke 3 drill bits in the process lol.  Once that was taken care of, I tuned it a little.  Now I just need a battery and a voltage regulator and I should be ready to put it to work.

rmaynard

Try Milford Power for a new regulator. https://www.milfordpower.com/R10297-Voltage-Regulator-Replaces-Kohler-41-403-06-p/r10297.htm
or TEWarehouse.com.  http://tewarehouse.com/7-01696

Sometimes Amazon.com and eBay will have great prices as well. Just do a Google search for Kohler 41-403-06.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

TDF5G

Been there done that with a golf cart carb a couple of years ago.  It was so gummed up I busted it trying to disassemble.  Got a new aftermarket one off of fleabay. Runs great now.