should I trade it for newer mower?

20151002_0948501.jpg

20151002_0949401.jpg

20151002_0950131.jpg

20151002_0950291.jpg

20151002_0950441.jpg

20151002_0951081.jpg

20151002_1000201.jpg

better yet, should I keep it and restore it?
or
should I seill/trade it off?

• Like 6

AMC RULES
    No brainer...   :handgestures-thumbupright:
   keep that :wh: beast. 
 :WRS: 

Sparky

I personally wouldn't want to depend or trust a 47 year old machine to a lawn service....its probably worked all its life and deserves a "light duty" retirement. I would rather have a newer machine to depend on to help me make a paycheck.
That being said, your new find is a great machine to restore or tinker on and have some fun with. Keep it as a backup incase your daily tractor craps out? Maybe haul it to tractor/machinery shows to putt around on or display?
Mike........

• Like 2

stevecobb76

I just found the wheel horse club and shows they put on. I see that this could look nice if I put about a month of work into it.
what kind of price would I be looking at for it??
as is running, and mowing price?
restored price?
I have no idea the value
I just paid $200 for it because I know that any riding mower that runs and cuts is worth at least that much around where I live.
and better yet. this isn't a mower, it is a tractor w/ a mower attachment. So I know it has the be worth more than that right?
I see some for $500 to $1000 online that look worse than mine.

Edited by stevecobb76

953 nut
:WRS:          Great buy, you will have to look pretty hard and pay ten times as much to find another mower as good as your 48 year new :wh:.

:twocents-02cents:          There isn't anything to be afraid of here, lots of life left in it. Enjoy it and keep it well maintained.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Welcome to red square, BUT DANGER, no belt covers. Be very carefull.  Good luck. Maybe you might want to tinker with this one and use something else for your lawn service.
Till you bring it up to speed.

Glenn

• Like 2

stevecobb76

Welcome to red square, BUT DANGER, no belt covers. Be very carefull.  Good luck. Maybe you might want to tinker with this one and use something else for your lawn service.
Till you bring it up to speed.

Glenn

I dont need those fingers anyways..

I took the drive belt cover off myself to put the belt back on.
there is no alternator cover though.

that would be funny as hell to be mowing a yard with this mower and next door a guy with a zero turn...
could you imagine the reactions and their thoughts?

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

The value is truly in how much you enjoy it.

I wouldn't plan on reselling it as you will not get out of it what you put into it. If you do a cheap resto then it devalues it for another buyer, if you do a detailed super resto then it will be worth FAR more BUT you will probably not get back out of it what you have to put into the restore.

This is truely a hobby of love.

(Now don't get me wrong, there is profit to be made if you play everything right, but its decent work and often means selling for parts. Which is hard if you dont know these horses really well)

Edited by bmsgaffer
Edited for spelling
  • Like 7

stevecobb76

here is what I am working on at the minute.
there is alot of slop in the foward reverse lever on the right side. the linkage is hooked up to this part on the pump that slides up and down.
I am trying to snug it up because it keeps getting faster and faster when I drive it across yard.
I snugged up the spring screws on the left and right but that didn't help.
still sloppy.. what can I do about that?

20151002_1627471.jpg

20151002_1628041.jpg

20151002_1628221.jpg

(Now don't get me wrong, there is profit to be made if you play everything right, but its decent work and often means selling for parts. Which is hard if you dont know these horses really well)

I agree. do it right the first time. or just dont bother.
I have to say, the more that I think about it, I wouldn't mind being "one of those guys"  at the tractor shows.

one of those guys with a really cool tractor.

• Like 1

953 nut

I can definitely imagine the reaction you spoke of, I have been getting strange looks from the fellow who mows the neighbor's yard when I was using my 52 year old horse. Not quite as fast, but just as reliable.

Pullstart

I've seen some real "pros" running wally world push mowers for their mowing service in some parts of the city.  That said, you've already got 4 times what they started with.  Good buy!

roadapples

Being  "one of those guys" is how a lot of the rest of us got started. Enjoy your "new" horse and the friends you`ll make with this hobby. And welcome to Red Square!

Retired Wrencher
stevecobb76  I would not mess with the tranny to much if works leave it alone. They can be very tricky to adjust. Change the belt get a wheel horse belt. Do not buy  after market belts [my experience is] there to long or to short spend the $30 to $40 on a real belt they are made to fit.Look in the manual section to find #`s. clean every thing up lube it all up and enjoy it.She is a nice tractor. Just use some marvel to bring out color.Enjoy the ride. Gary.
  • Like 1

boovuc

Nice old hydro! Gary is correct. Leave a sleeping dog ALONE. Those are original Hydros and parts and expertise are getting harder to find for them. Change out the fluids with what was in it. Filters, etc on the tranny and let it alone. Use TORO belts or in a pinch, NAPA Kevlar belts. Just like old men, those old hydros get crotchety when you mess with them! 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:       :text-+1:    :hilarious:
...old & crotchety. 

wfrpalm

I have a 857 and I was having the same problem with speed control so this is what I did. I cut two 1/8" sections out of a bicycle inner tube ( they look like rubber bands ) and stretched them over the two shoes that rub against the nylon block that moves with the lever ( your picture shows them ) then adjusted the screws until they were barely tight and the speed is controllable now. I do not use the tractor everyday but this fix has held up so far. 

stevecobb76

I have a 857 and I was having the same problem with speed control so this is what I did. I cut two 1/8" sections out of a bicycle inner tube ( they look like rubber bands ) and stretched them over the two shoes that rub against the nylon block that moves with the lever ( your picture shows them ) then adjusted the screws until they were barely tight and the speed is controllable now. I do not use the tractor everyday but this fix has held up so far. 

can you upload a picture of this for me?
I have not found solution yet.

I got new belts and it is running like a raped ape..

semperfi8185

Nice find.  Keep it and have some fun!