mr mike

White Wall tires. 1968 Indy 500

mr mike

I need an expert on these things. I think I have found one locally for sale. In rough, non running condition. Trying to avoid over paying. I have the model and serial numbers. Anyone that can help shed some light ? 

mr mike

model 1-7931. Serial 468767

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Excellent 1

Sparky

A complete set of Wheel Horse white walls go for big money....you almost cant overpay.
Go get it!!
Mike......

953 nut
:WRS:                         :twocents-02cents:               Are you sure that those are actual white walls and not just painted tires?        
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

My sheet says a 1-7931 is a 1968 Charger 9 Automatic with a 10hp Tecky.
Indy 500 is 1-3631 with 4 speed 6hp Tecky.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Most curious about your "sheet"!

Brian01
:WRS:

:twocents-02cents:

Are you sure that those are actual white walls and not just painted tires?        

i was kind of wondering the same thing, cause whitewalls are usually front and back, right? And in the one pic you can clearly see the backside oof the front tires....no white back there?? I mean I dunno, just my 2¢

DennisThornton
:WRS:

:twocents-02cents:

Are you sure that those are actual white walls and not just painted tires?        

i was kind of wondering the same thing, cause whitewalls are usually front and back, right? And in the one pic you can clearly see the backside oof the front tires....no white back there?? I mean I dunno, just my 2¢

Obviously retouched and off the mark a bit but that in and of itself doesn't mean they weren't whitewalls to start with though I certainly have no idea if they where whitewalls originally or not!  But what are original "Wheel Horse" branded tires worth?  That they obviously are!

squonk

Wheel Horse supplied tractors to Indy for several years with different models including Suburbans, Front engine round hoods Lawn Rangers, 953/1054.  there according to Straight from the Horse's Mouth. I think the 500 Special was a 1 year production tractor commemorating the race

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Racinbob

They supplied 33 tractors each of those years. The 500 Special was only made in 1968 and had the Tecky H60, not a HH60.

MalMac

Back when Radio Equipment out of Indy was supplying the tractors to the speedway, matter of fact they also supplied them to us as a dealer and we were in northwest Indiana. We had a couple of tractors that had Whitewalls that they had sent a message to us wanting them down at the speedway. Seems the tractors got sent to us by mistake. They told us we would have to send them back down at are cost ! Plus it was up to us to replenish them. We offered to just send the wheels a and tire's, they wanted the whole shooting match. Needless to say they never made their way back down to Indy.  I do remember the Whitewalls being only on one side, because on one tractor they were mounted wrong way on the front rims.

• Like 4

55rj35jr

FYI

indy.jpg

• Like 3

KC9KAS

Would you mind sharing the model number and serial number?

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2384-tractor-1968-500-special-da-om-ipl-snpdf/

Garry

Garry, here's the serial of my 500 Special for the list (1-3631).

There you go!

Eric Capozzi

I just purchased one from a member,

m/n 1-7931 s/n 469411 with white wall tires. Someone has painted it and dressed it with the wrong decals. This one will be a work in progress with an almost close restore to the way they were at Indy. 

24868A76-FCF0-40FE-A9C5-DE573BE59D79.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

Here's another from the list...# 490614.

1460179882_2015-09-27002019.JPG.422c5993eb1e110b24814f92b53285dc.JPG 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tankman

Great Horses! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Be sure to update restoration progress, we all suffer from WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction). :ROTF:

CADE658A-1287-4370-9A21-1F220574A176.png.323cd26b16566766527761bedf8726b8.png

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

TDF5G
On 9/25/2015 at 7:11 PM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:                         :twocents-02cents:               Are you sure that those are actual white walls and not just painted tires?        

That's what I was wondering.

CasualObserver

@TDF5G You know you quoted a 3 year old post there?

If you're asking if the white wall tires really existed, yes.  Just plug white wall into the search engine. There have been a few topics on them over the years. They're rare, but there are still some out there from the Gasoline Alley pit tractor days. 

TDF5G

The last post on this thread is Oct 4.  I've not checked in on RS for a few weeks now.  I'm catching up. 

No I am not asking if the whitewall tires existed.  I am completely aware and familiar with the Indy Specials and the existence of the whitewall tires.  The pic that I mentioned appears the tires have been painted on.