WNYPCRepair

Mig welding question

WNYPCRepair

I bought one of those cheap mig welders at harbor freight, and I am practicing, but a big problem is the wire doesn't feed right, it is jerky. I have tried adjusting the tension on the spool, and also on the feed rollers, doesn't seem to change anything. 

Anyone else have one of these welders, and does it do the same thing? Or any advice on how to correct?

wallfish

Does it have an adjustment dial for the wire speed? If the wire feeds quicker than it is burning, you get that "jerking" of the wire because it pushes into the piece.
Don't use an extension cord or use a 10 gage wire cord.
Try a smaller wire diameter but you'll also have to match the tip. Think .030 is the smallest flux core but not sure
Be sure to use a flux core wire if you are not using sheilding gas

• Like 2

rmaynard

I had the same problems with a fairly inexpensive 120 volt Lincoln MIG welder that I was using. So I went to a friend who is a professional welder. He set up a practice table for me and I used his 240 volt MIG welder. After a few minutes, it was like I had been welding all my life. So with renewed confidence I headed back home. I set up my little MIG and tried again. SAME PROBLEMS. My conclusion is that the cheaper the welder, the more the problems. You get what you pay for. Now, when I need something welded, I head to my friends shop and use his stuff. All the difference in the world.

• Like 3

slammer302

I have one of these welders. Your metal has to be very clean i always grind were i plan on welding first and make sure my ground is good i set my tension-er  kinda loose and i will also do a couple spot weld to get the metal hot then lay it on. It really only works good on thin metal like sheet meatal and 1/8" steel.   

I'm with Bob on you get what you pay for when it comes to welders but i would rather have my crappy welder then no welder 

• Like 2

mikekot3

Get a 230 volt ac Lincoln , miller, or Hobart with shielding gas.

• Like 1

Niagara D

230 volt is not entirely necessary. There are some really decent quality welding 120 volt units. Hobart handler or miller 140 series are great welding machines. I would shy away from low voltage Flux core welders as they do not typically have a enough umf to get it done. Its my experience that all the harbor freight welders are junk. So my opinion would be to invest in a Hobart Lincoln miller or esab 120 volt machine with gas shielding and solid wore will get any garage project done that you would likely find to do.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I agree, if you are not doing huge stuff on a regular basis, something like a Hobart 140 works great.

I have one and havent run it to its limits yet. Very nice unit.

• Like 1

can whlvr

I have a couple of welders and I have a 110 Lincoln,for thin metal it is great,i also have a Lincoln 235 and its probally 40 years old and still a great machine for thicker welds,sounds like your welder may not be set up properly,we had that same problem with our big welder at work,an expensive Lincoln mig,once an experienced welder set it up its great now

953 nut

Look at some of the youtube videos about the HF 90 amp flux wire welders. Seems the feed wheels will benefit from a light sanding to give them traction, check them out, can't hurt.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Anyone have one of these, or opinions/advice? Still 110, but 140A. I am not opposed to 220, I can run my own line, but I really don't want to spend $500 on a welder, let alone $600 for a 220V. There is also a 125A for $400. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934 

Or should I try TIG welding.  :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lotos-50-Amp-Plasma-Cutter-with-200-Amp-TIG-Welder-and-200-Amp-Stick-Welder-Combo-CT520D/205450327 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

mikekot3

I would stick with name brands like Lincoln, miller, Hobart and esab for welders.
The china joe ones are a pain to get parts for and tend to feed wire pretty crappy.

WNYPCRepair

Well, I played a bit more with the welder today. welded two pieces of 1/8 inch steel together end to end. It doesn't look pretty, but I put it on a ledge and stomped on it, and it bent a few inches from the weld, and the weld didn't break. 

Next I played on the sheet metal of an old PC power supply. Ran a few beads on the surface, burned a couple of holes in it accidentally. But after a few minutes, I got a little better, and was able to fill the holes in that I burned. When I ground the bead down to the sheet metal, it looked like a solid piece of sheet metal. 

It gave me enough confidence that I don't think I would be wasting my money on a better welder. I will pack the HF welder back up and return it, and get a better welder. This is what I am likely to buy, unless someone knows a reason not to. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934

can whlvr

as I said in my earlier post I am real happy with my Lincoln 110 welder

• Like 1

JPWH

I think you will like that Lincoln. When you get your argon gas look at the cost of refilling the tanks as well as the cost of the tank.
The cost of refilling an 80 cf is 30.00 and the cost for a 120 cf is 3600. at my welding supply. The cost to purchase the larger tank is only about 40.00 dollars more.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I think you will like that Lincoln. When you get your argon gas look at the cost of refilling the tanks as well as the cost of the tank.
The cost of refilling an 80 cf is 30.00 and the cost for a 120 cf is 3600. at my welding supply. The cost to purchase the larger tank is only about 40.00 dollars more.

I saw this posted in a review:

"I already have the gas for it the only problem is if you don't use it a lot the tank expires and hard to get filled without exchanging it that will cost you more"

What does he mean? Does the gas go inert if it sits?

wallfish

Think he's talking about the date certification on the tank.
Not sure why it cost more to exchange a tank? That's usually how it's done unless you want to hang around waiting forever for therm to fill it.

• Like 1

JPWH

I own my tank but they exchange. It depends on the purchase agreement and your supplier.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Play with the wire feed adjustment.  Too little is rather apparent but just creep up until it feeds consistently.  Try to keep you feed cable as straight as possible.  I've read that Lincoln not only makes better machines but also better wire!  Hint!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Now I am waffling between the 140A (110v) and the 180 A (220v). 

My my thinking is that for $100 more now, plus the cost of running a new line, I will have a welder capable of whatever I might consider welding, vs having to upgrade down the road at full cost. Am I nuts?

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I have heard (meaning I have no experience with) that if you upgrade to 220V, you want to make it worth your while and get a bigger/better one. I.E. will cost more than just $100 over the 120V one. Or go with the multi-voltage ones.

I went with the 120V because of price and portability even though I have 220 available already in my garage. When I am ready to upgrade to the 220V I will not feel like I broke the bank on my 120V one. Also, I can throw it in the truck and weld at a friends house or with my generator if need be.

Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I have heard (meaning I have no experience with) that if you upgrade to 220V, you want to make it worth your while and get a bigger/better one. I.E. will cost more than just $100 over the 120V one. Or go with the multi-voltage ones.

I went with the 120V because of price and portability even though I have 220 available already in my garage. When I am ready to upgrade to the 220V I will not feel like I broke the bank on my 120V one. Also, I can throw it in the truck and weld at a friends house or with my generator if need be.

Makes sense. The 180A 220v model is $150 more, plus another hundred for the 220 line, and it is basically the same welder, just puts out 40A more. If I need something welded over 1/4" thick, I'll pay someone. 

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

just wondering, what's the faf about 220? over in mainland europe we have 240 mains, my drillpress, benchgrinder and welder run on 400

• Like 1

953 nut

Makes sense. The 180A 220v model is $150 more, plus another hundred for the 220 line, and it is basically the same welder, just puts out 40A more. If I need something welded over 1/4" thick, I'll pay someone. 

The big benefit you will derive is a better duty cycle, the lower price welders are going to require a 45 minute nap after 15 minutes of work. Come to think of it I guess I have a twenty five percent duty cycle too!    :ROTF:

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Now I am waffling between the 140A (110v) and the 180 A (220v). 

My my thinking is that for $100 more now, plus the cost of running a new line, I will have a welder capable of whatever I might consider welding, vs having to upgrade down the road at full cost. Am I nuts?

If you are going to weld structural steel, 1/4" and up you need POWER!  220v.  3/16" and less you might be just fine with the 110.  1/8" and less, I think you would be quite happy!  I LOVE my little HF because I can grab it and go most anywhere and weld little stuff for cheap!  If I was in business I wouldn't show up with a HF but for what little I have to do it's a bargain!  

Not sure what your needs are but my point is that 110 will travel!  With the 220 your work will most likely have to come to it!  

• Like 1

mikekot3

Yes a 220 volt ac welder will have a longer duty cycle of welding time at and the capability to weld thicker materials. Get a welder that with shielding gas as opposed to solid core which spatters all over the place.
I would buy the tank out right and have them swap it when you get it refilled. Leasing a tank is a good idea if you weld a lot.