dewdew

Maybe I did something wrong

dewdew

I rebuilt the hydro pump for my d160.
i got it all together but my reverse is very slow at first bet after I run it for about 1/2 hr I lose it completely. My motion control lever does not go all the way back but it looks like everything is adjusted correctly. I hope.
is it possible that I did something internally to the pump that would cause this ?
FYI; there is a leak round the shaft that needs attention but the fluid is never low enough to not register on the dipstick.

image.jpg

.5racer

while running it could be sucking in air and stoped leak out oil   is the shaft scratched or the seal ma have rolled at assem  after running does the oil have air in it by checking at the dip stick

dewdew

How could I tell if the oil has air in it. Would I be able to see little bubbles on the dipstick?

KC9KAS

How could I tell if the oil has air in it. Would I be able to see little bubbles on the dipstick?

Yes, bubbles...highly aerated.

Brian01

air would be my first guess...fix all leaks and let it bleed out.

dewdew

Thanks guys, I don't know anything when it comes to hydrostatic tractors.  Seems odd that it would only happen in reverse. 

daveoman1966

Having successfully rebuilt 20 or 25 of these Sundstrand units, it is an impossible guess as to what could be wrong....especially not knowing exactly what you did (or did not do)  in performing the rebuild.  Inasmuch as the oil is common to the hyd pump and the hyd motor and that their internals also have nearly identical parts, to rebuild just the pump is futile...both must be rebuilt.  The hyd motor is bolted to the side of the gearbox, supplied by oil thru the 4-line manifold. 
As for the linkage adjustment....without having it in-hand, again impossible to resolve.  You need to find some schematics of the linkage to be sure you put it back together correctly.  The D-160 was made from 1974 thru 1980 and there are linkage variations.  Go here and select PARTS tab.  Then, enter D-160 and clik the next page...then select your model #.  Some schematics are available....some are not.
http://www.toro.com/en-us/parts/Pages/PartsLookupResults.aspx?searchTerm=d-160&BasicSearchFilter=equipment  

d200 (3)a.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3

dewdew

No more leaks!!! But I still have the problem. No air bubble in fluid.
today when I tested it I was able to go in reverse but it went faster in reverse thanit did forward not much but faster? And after about 1/2 hr it went back to no reverse? An takers on this one. 

Also so when I check the hydro oil should it b hot or cold?

daveoman1966

Myt guess...  you got the charge pump housing bolted on 180 degrees out of phase.  The only way to know is to pull the pump housing and have a look-see.
Note the orientation of the location PIN in this pic. in red....oriented toward the o-ring side of the end cap. 
 It is possible to bolt this on in exact revers of what it should be.
Did you also install the O-rings and BACK-UP rings correctly.....

1 (103).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966