Pullstart

LH gear case 3 speed vs 8 speed

Pullstart

I just replaced the 3 speed transmission from my 502 with an 8 speed from a C-101.  the brake band location is different and the 8 speed brake bearing is loose, making me want to tear it apart.  Is there any confirmation that the only difference of these two cases is that tab?  could I put my 3 speed LH case on the 8 speed transmission, or is there more bosses in the hi/low case?  it would help prevent leaking oil and help to keep the brakes all set up right.

thanks!

stevasaurus

The 2 case halves are not the same part number, so they will not interchange.  If you look, the brake shaft comes out of the hole nearest the axle on your 502 3 speed, and it comes out the next hole toward the front of the trans on the 8 speed.  The best thing to do is to tear down the 8 speed and fix the bearing and replace the seals.  You will have to do a little fabrication on the brake linkage, but not impossible to do.  :)  What are you going to do with the 3 speed tranny? 

• Like 2

Pullstart

Thanks Stevasaurus!  I might hold on to the 3 speed then, and repair the 8 for now.  It has the typical pop out of 3rd without holding the shifter in place, otherwise feels pretty tight and clean.  I figured it would be all too easy to swap LH case halves but was worth a shot!

stevasaurus

I know it looks like they would interchange, and I do not know why they would not.  All of the 8 speed stuff is in the right side really.  I have not had the luxury of having both kinds open at the same time...maybe Racinfool40 has tried or at least seen why they would not.  The thing that gets ya, is they both use the same #3912 gasket...so the halves will bolt together (without the gears in there)...but you would be talking changing out the 11 / 44 toothed gear and the cluster gear shaft...plus what ever else to keep your brake drum coming out the hole closest to the axle.  That is where you would run into problems for sure.  :)

• Like 2

Pullstart

I appreciate your input, greatly! 

racinfool40

Yes the deep side of the 4-8 speed trans will interchange...swap around a few bearing to switch the brake shafts around and you will be ready to go....as long as you have the same size axles...1" axles case from a 4-speed and a 1"axle 8-speed case will inter-change if you see were I am going....the case halfs themselves are machined different for the axle bearings for each axle....so an 1-1/8th axle case half from an 8-speed wont work on a 1" axle 4-speed..

• Like 2

Pullstart

thank you @racinfool40 I guess I'll have to tear them both apart one day and compare to understand!  Now that I've modified the brake band to fit the 8 speed and modified the C-101 brake rod to fit.  But going back to stock brake locations would help me with a parking brake setup...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is going to come down to having them both open,  You will need to change out the 11/44 toothed gear and it will have to mesh properly with the bull gear of the differential...so you can have your brake shaft come out that hole in the trans.  You will also have to get rid of the longer cluster gear shaft so you can put a cap bearing in that hole.  If the parts from the 2 transmissions, open at the same time allow you to do that,  we want pictures and video for sure.  I do not see any reason why it will not work, but having them both open at the same time is the key.  :)

• Like 2

Pullstart

Thanks for the support guys, Flywheelers show and a trip to meet Duke today, then transmission time later.  With pictures, or pleads for help that is...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Say hi to Bob.  I now he will take pictures.  :)

Pullstart

I must be that ugly, he never even mentioned a camera!  But it was a good trip and we got a load of goodies for my project!

• Like 2