Ramanonos

C-125 starting issue

Ramanonos

My c-125 isn't turning over properly. Trying to get a sense of which part I need and where I can buy it. Here's youtube vid of the noise:

It's one of these two:

efe3a1b7203b64f9a216820aba13a963.jpg9b1acaf72421ff99bebf2b7d39e4c62f.jpg

bmsgaffer

Is the flywheel turning? It sure sounds like its not. (if it is, then there is probably MUCH larger issues than listed here)

You may need to lube the starter, it doesnt sound like the bendix is getting thrown the way it should. (Use an electrical cleaner and dry lubricant)

This MAY be a problem if the battery is too low (check this first!) or if your solenoid is worn out and not getting enough power through.

Using a voltmeter test your battery voltage, and then put your meter across the big lugs on the solenoid (one probe on one big lug and the other probe on the other) and give us the voltage (DC) it reads when trying to start. This will help us determine if your solenoid is good or bad.

rjcap

Ditto to what bmsgaffer is saying. I have a C-125 and had the exact same issue. Dry lube and a good cleaning is all it took on mine. Good luck.

oldredrider

It can be seen in the video the starter gear is not "kicking" out. As stated above, a good cleaning and lube should have you running.

• Like 1

squonk

That wire end on the starter isn't doing you any favors also.

• Like 1

MalMac

Yep, I agree you can see starter not kicking in and engaging the flywheel. Needs cleaned and lubed as stated above.

Brian01

Yep starter is not inguaging, take it off n have it rebuilt..brushes are probably worn.

Also try hooking battery charger to it or jump start it off your vehicle and see if it enguages, could be a weak battery also. My electro 12 done that until I put more juice to it, such as battery charger or jumped it off my truck...

But main culprit is brushes in the starter

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

You can start just cleaning the bendix shaft. It spins ok so it probably doesnt need a total rebuild yet.

Just start with cleaning and lubricating the shaft that the starter gear slides in and out on.

• Like 1

Brian01

true but why not just have it all rebuilt? Around here you can have one rebuilt for like $30-40.

Wheel-N-It

Nothing to add here other than don't take the starter apart if you don't have to. Just clean and dry lube the bendix.

squonk

Replace that wire end. All the lube in the world won't help if the voltage is too low from a crappy connector.

• Like 2

Ramanonos

Thanks! I took off the starter and blasted it with a can of electronic cleaner. Cleaned connections and she fired right up. 10 min job.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Thats gettin' it done!
  • Like 1