JPWH

Two piece gas tank welded ?

JPWH

Has anybody tried welding these together? What were the results long term or short term ? Thanks in advance for any input.

AMC RULES
The same tanks your referring to...
also came in a one piece version, easy enough to find one and just swap it out.
Not sure it's a good idea to be welding up a gas tank.
   :confusion-shrug:
  • Like 1

JPWH

I was not aware there was another that would fit. I have found that at least two others have welded them with success but no info about long term durability.
I don't have the experience with aluminum but am thinking of taking it to my brother maybe.
No danger of gas or fumes, the tank was left open for years. Now I know I have options I may try it. How much are the tanks going for?

Jake Kuhn

the 1 piece tanks seem to be pretty common. The only difference you will  notice is they have a dash plate that bolts in rather than built into the tank like the newer ones. And I usually see them for around $20-50 in nice shape

• Like 1

slammer302

I have been fighting this problem for a little while now. My two piece tank leaks and i have tried welding the crack in the bottom of it but it did not come out very well i'm thinking about trying again but this time using a tig welder instead of a mig I know its been done before  

• Like 1

DennisThornton

There's some other options, though I'm lacking some details.  There are products that say, and I've heard some actually work, that seal from the inside.  There are some that say they will work from the outside.  If you have pin holes I'm wondering if super glue would seal them?  Now I'm assuming that you know how not to blow it up, but for those young and aspiring WH enthusiasts out there, don't use heat on a gas tank until you KNOW what you are doing!  I have used oxy/acet alum rods that were/are a bit funky but do actually work!  And I used a heat activated epoxy stick that worked LIKE a CHARM on a trans pan!  I was SO amazed!  Don't know if it is gas resistant or proof but I bet it is.

I'm guessing that it is a very slow leak and any number of fixes might be available.

slammer302

I've been using sum sealer called red kote it works for about a year before it i have to redo it 

DennisThornton

I've been using sum sealer called red kote it works for about a year before it i have to redo it 

Inside stuff?  Never used anything that went inside but I use to paint a few cycle tanks for folks and got interested enough to pay attention, but I guess not enough to remember the brand!  I do remember reading that something worked really good!  A quick Google search shows the Eastwood has a product.  I've got some faith in their stuff but no first hand experience with their gas tank sealers.  I also have faith in Caswell, (I used some of their plating products)  

http://www.amazon.com/Caswell-Epoxy-Tank-Sealer-Motorcycle/dp/B001PLM5TC  "Ethanol Resistant." makes me nervous but at least around here ethanol gas can be avoided!  Pricey and again I'm not sure it's needed for an isolated tiny leak.

I'm just not convinced that welding is needed for a pin hole or small seam leak.  Structural yes!  Pin hole or seam, I think maybe not...

Now where did I get that heat activated epoxy rod....

• Like 1

JPWH

I have a structural issue as well as a corroded bottom plate. I was thinking of having the tank welded then using por 15 to seal the inside from future corrosion. 

DennisThornton

There were some synapses firing "POR", "POR"  but I ignored them...  Now I'm pretty sure that was the brand the motorcycle guys were bragging about but, I'm not sure.

If you have structural issues with vibrational movement then I'd be nervous without a real weld to stop that, but hey!  Something else might work and a combo might work where the single fix would fail.  But I'm reading that you just might be thinking a weld is needed...

Hard to beat a good TIG weld!  Even if you had to used a sealer afterwards.

This is NOT what I used on the tranny pan but I think it is a similar product:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-CO-HEAT-SEAL-STIK-EPOXY-SEALER-REPAIRS-PIN-HOLE-LEAKS-ALUMINUM-COPPER-/151798877361?hash=item2357eb0cb1&vxp=mtr

Preheat and wipe!  Really impressed with what I used for trans fluid!

JPWH

I have been fighting this problem for a little while now. My two piece tank leaks and i have tried welding the crack in the bottom of it but it did not come out very well i'm thinking about trying again but this time using a tig welder instead of a mig I know its been done before  

The man I have been talking to said that a tig is what he will use. He did a test on the bottom plate over a thin spot and said he thinks it will weld OK.

• Like 1

JPWH

Well I decided to take the hit. I have a little weld to clean up but I am pleased with the outcome. First they bead blasted both parts then cut around the 1/4-20 bolt clips. He then cut the bottom plate back to allow room for the weld to the tank. After all the cutting both parts were çleaned. He welded the weak spots in the plate then welded the plate to the tank. Tank was tested at 30 PSI and no leaks.
NCM_0161.thumb.JPG.19c54521212601c8ba9b9NCM_0164.thumb.JPG.0f15d4b831e4545437601NCM_0163.thumb.JPG.f72a3111018c1c3fe8dc7

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
On 9/4/2015 at 4:31 PM, JPWH said:

Well I decided to take the hit. I have a little weld to clean up but I am pleased with the outcome. First they bead blasted both parts then cut around the 1/4-20 bolt clips. He then cut the bottom plate back to allow room for the weld to the tank. After all the cutting both parts were çleaned. He welded the weak spots in the plate then welded the plate to the tank. Tank was tested at 30 PSI and no leaks.
NCM_0161.thumb.JPG.19c54521212601c8ba9b9NCM_0164.thumb.JPG.0f15d4b831e4545437601NCM_0163.thumb.JPG.f72a3111018c1c3fe8dc7

This is great!  I think I’ll do the same on Mrs. Pullstart’s “Frank” build.  I wanted to trim the bottom of the tank too... so it should work out alright!

how has it held up Jay?

CC057675-326F-41EB-8F0C-105A19C99B18.jpeg

CC1BD7C6-2932-4D76-9074-87A084E7DC02.jpeg

JPWH

@pullstartThree years now and no leaks. Even after the wreck that broke the tank on the other 854 next to it on the trailer and destroyed both hoods. (See two new projects thread.) 

Jay 

• Like 1

rjg854

The previous owner of my 854 had the gas tank welded also, I've never had a problem with any leaks.  So I'd say go for it.

• Like 2

Chris G

Well I think the question has been answered. Bit I was gonna say yes it's possible to weld them or just replace with a one piece tank.

• Like 1