DKR977

K181 S will fire up with starting fluid then dies

DKR977

I've got a K181 S in my 855 that off a fresh rebuild and has all new points, condenser, coil, NOS carb and fuel pump.  Spark is great when you pull plug and put in on the block and crank it over.  I had it running last year then went to make some governor adjustments because it had wanted to run away once or twice and I had to shut it down.  That only happened twice and was able to shut it down immediately each time.  

After sitting for a year I decided to get it running so put a brand new battery in it, shot some carb cleaner into the carb and with fresh gas it will fire right off but as soon as I release the starter it dies and will only crank.  At that point all I get is a flooded carb for my troubles.  

Any thoughts as to where to look?  By the way spark plug is clean and properly gapped.  I have not check the point gap but the spark plug sparked really well when ground to the motor I'm sure my points gap isn't the issue.  My coil is a NOS unit as well.

Thanks
Damon

pfrederi

What kind of sparkplug do you have.  I have had issues with Champions that won't fire under compression.

Is the spark plug wet?

rmaynard

but as soon as I release the starter it dies

Sounds like a problem with the ignition switch, If it stops firing when you stop cranking, the switch may be wired wrong, or the ignition contacts bad.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:      Flooding is generally not caused by ignition problems. Since it has been sitting for some time I would suggest that you start by cleaning the carburetor and replace the needle and seat.

A bit of Seafoam in the gas tank could help eliminate other deposits in the system. If you had been using gas that contains ethanol you may also need to replace the fuel line.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

DKR977

What kind of sparkplug do you have.  I have had issues with Champions that won't fire under compression.

Is the spark plug wet?

It's an Autolite 458.  And yes, it's wet.

:WRS:      Flooding is generally not caused by ignition problems. Since it has been sitting for some time I would suggest that you start by cleaning the carburetor and replace the needle and seat.

A bit of Seafoam in the gas tank could help eliminate other deposits in the system. If you had been using gas that contains ethanol you may also need to replace the fuel line.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll tackle the carb rebuild soon, I just got a rebuild kit off ebay thinking this could be part of my problem.    I always use Seafoam as a preservative in my fuel so that should rule out issues related to gas and the fuel line is new as well.

but as soon as I release the starter it dies

Sounds like a problem with the ignition switch, If it stops firing when you stop cranking, the switch may be wired wrong, or the ignition contacts bad.

I thought of that as well but it was running fine before I sort of tinkered with the governor.  The switch is a new one but unless the stuff of ebay is pure crap, and this one looks good to me and did work just fine I'm leaning to carb issues from sitting.  I'll put a volt tester on the switch to see what it shows.  It's wired just like it was prior to restoration, I took a lot of photos and have the WH manual with the wiring diagram.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Make sure you have 12v at the coil with the switch in the run position.

• Like 3

Coadster32

Anytime you're cranking, the fuel pump is squirting. You could get a wet plug just from cranking if it doesn't fire. HF has an in-line spark plug light, checker, thingy for less than $5. If you put in in place, you'll see if your plug is getting spark with the starter dis-engaged. It'll at least let you check the electrical quickly, and add a cool little tool to your toolbox.

• Like 1

DKR977

Anytime you're cranking, the fuel pump is squirting. You could get a wet plug just from cranking if it doesn't fire. HF has an in-line spark plug light, checker, thingy for less than $5. If you put in in place, you'll see if your plug is getting spark with the starter dis-engaged. It'll at least let you check the electrical quickly, and add a cool little tool to your toolbox.

Okay great to know.  I've seen those before on Youtube.  I think it's time to buy one it will come in handy for the WH.  Great tip.

whtractors24

I would check the points gap start around .020 and I use a champion plug h10c is a common plug!

• Like 1

DKR977

I would check the points gap start around .020 and I use a champion plug h10c is a common plug!

okay, will do.  I hope to get her running properly this Labor Day weekend.