Jeff_B

1978 C-101

Jeff_B

Okay, as promised, here's my 'new' horse, fresh off the pickup truck. I had a few tractors to look at, but ended up buying the first one I saw (that's good because I really didn't want to spend the whole weekend chasing all over!) It's a '78 C-101 8-speed with 36" rear-discharge. It was in really good shape, looks lightly used, and already had a lot of maintenance and new parts (and the work was done right). Plus, the price was too good to pass up. $350 and that included a nice, heavy gauge dump trailer. I'll fiddle around with it some, but it's pretty much good to go. I already have a snow/dozer blade and rototiller attachments, wheel weights and chains, and a soft-sided cab. Plus two parts tractors. I want to get a snow blower attachment so I'm sure I'll be looking for some advice on that. Only real problem is that you have to use the steering wheel to make it turn. Doesn't respond to 'gee' and 'haw.'

1978 Wheel Horse 8-15-15.jpeg

• Like 4

Rob R

Nice Machine, I have a snow plow blade on my C-81 and it pushes snow like a tractor twice it's size...... Great Machine......

bmsgaffer

Looks like you got a real good buy! I ran a 10hp kohler for my first 20 years of Wheel Horses! Only thing it couldnt do it spin a 48" deck. You might have to go slow through the snow, but it will probably do it!

Only real problem is that you have to use the steering wheel to make it turn. Doesn't respond to 'gee' and 'haw.'

:laughing-rolling:

Edited by bmsgaffer

Wheel-N-It
A good buy at $350 Jeff. After a good pressure washing give it a new seat and shine up the paint, maybe even paint the wheels. I think you will enjoy how good it looks then after giving it a little time and elbow grease!

ronhatch

I just picked up a 1979 C-101 with a 36" RD deck too. I got lucky and found a guy that traded even up for a 42" SD deck that's in a lot better condition then the 36" one was. Right now, I have it all apart and been fixing, stripping and painting parts the last couple of weeks. I'm only about 1/3 done.  I'm taking my time and trying to enjoy the process. Fun, Fun!

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

• Like 2

Jeff_B
Nice job! Yes, agree. I'll plan to spruce mine up. But this will be a work tractor, so probably no new paint. Hope the dull finish polishes out, and the wheels benefit from just a good cleaning and polishing. I need new tires, at least on the back. The guy had chains on because the original tires have gone 'glossy' and lost their grip. I don't know where the decals on the side of the hood went, but I'd like to find some. One of my parts tractors has headlights so I'll plan to add those (thought all 'C' series had lights, but not this one). New pics as work progresses!

ronhatch

Thanks Jeff!  My C-101 was not taken care of either. It's a shame. The PO mowed with it after the front wheel bearing feel apart, ruining the spindle and ID of the rim. There was so much dried on mud, grass and grease that a HP washer couldn't remove it. This is the 5th garden tractor (2nd WH) I restored and they are all workers. I enjoy them every time I mow, plow or blow snow. Enjoy yours and have fun!

• Like 1