82Caddy

D160 worth the risk?

82Caddy

Found a d160 with mower deck. Seller says it ran about a year ago and the engine/hydro were strong but not currently running. Is it worth the 400$ risk of having a d series tractor. 

How easily can a loader be adapted to these?

I have photos but can't seem to figure out how to upload them into a post from my phone. 

Edited by 82Caddy

"D"- Man

Maybe, can you tell us any more about it?   Is it a Kohler or an Onan? Does it turn freely? Does it only come with the deck, or are there any options included: Three point hitch, Turning brakes, P.T.O.  Are the rear wheels 12" or 15"?  I know Front end loaders were an option, Mark.

pacer

Absolutely!!

Heh! course I AM a bit prejudiced .. since I have 4 of the "Big D's"
Mark, makes good points. As he said 2 engines were offered in the 160, with the bad boy K341 being very desirable. Then they could - or could not - have 3 point hitch (very desirable) rear drive PTO (not so much desirable, only WH implements will work off it) Then they could come with either turf tires or AG tires in 12" and 15" (that would be a personal choice here) Probably the most cautionary thing on these are the Sundstrand hyd drive, If its working properly, its a potent drive, but when ailing can be problematic, parts are getting very scarce and going into one isnt for the faint of heart. About every attachment imaginable was offered for them - and one of them was the FEL (IF you can fined one!)(AND afford it!)

$400 doesnt sound to bad - I recently paid $400 for a non running D-200 (with fingers crossed) with no 3 point or rear PTO, but a pretty nice 48" deck. Turned out I did OK, it runs out very well.

Love my D's

KC9KAS

If it is a Kohler it is for sure worth $400.

82Caddy

Finally got pictures to work...I think. 

No idea if it turns or what engine it is...what I said is what I know about it. Close enough to go check out I think. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are the loaders d series specific?

C-101plowerpower

Looks like the kohler version 

slammer302

I wouldn't be afraid to buy it the Kohler powered ones are kinda hard to find Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pacer

Its definitely the desirable Kohler K341 16hp engine so thats one plus (parts are readily available for it as opposed to the Onan) However --- theres no sign on the back of the 3 point hitch, in fact I dont see any thing under the dash to indicate it even has hyd lift for the deck?? Wonder how the deck is lifted? That D-200 I mentioned was a bit sparse but it does have hyd lift on the deck. Kinda looks like it has the 12" tires - there are more replacement choices in the 12" size.

Wheel Horse could certainly mix & match throughout their models

82Caddy

There is a lever on the lower dash that I think is for the lift. I'm. It sure, going to check it out on Sunday. 

pacer

OK, I see it now - it had blended in with all that black.

Goes along with saying WH did all sorts of variables in their tractors, my 200 has the 2 levers there even tho it doesnt have any part of the 3 point, only the lever.

That add-on tool box is kinda neat, I've often threatened to add something to tote tools around on mine.

Tankman

I wouldn't be afraid to buy it the Kohler powered ones are kinda hard to find Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ditto, :text-yeahthat:

Niagara D

Both my onan 160 and my 18 auto have the availability of the rear lift. The lever is there and the lines are run to where the rear cylinder sits (under the seat) that is definitely a kohler. When I look I tell by the manually engaged clutch lever on the left side of the column. From my understanding the onan have the electric clutch. That's a good buy there.

roadapples

A good k341 will fetch $400!

• Excellent 1