E-SWEDE

To bondo or not to bondo?

infernus

A wire wheel is not enough, you have to acid prep rust to kill it.  Then prime it.

A guy at work suggested using old fashioned lead for filler...

Really!  It's hard to stress how important it is to metal prep and use a good primer for the LONG term.  Ordinary primer/fillers are not the BEST primers for preventing rust and not the best for filling deep pits either!

Yeah hitting it with a wheel never worked well for me.  A DA sander with 60 grit... that works well but you need the material there otherwise you'll have nothing left :D.  I had a metals teacher in tech school tell me that ferrous oxide (rust) has a stronger surface hardness than carbon steel.  And if it's an already crappy material to begin with you're fighting porosity too.

Brian01

omgosh! lol, I know prep also, I was just advising to wire brush the rust off, could also use the obvious "sandpaper" afterward then of course, using acetone or some chemical to thoroughly prep the metal for paint. I personally usually use brake cleaner or carb cleaner, both dry extremely fast and cleans the metal just as well. ;)