jst1more

rj 1958 question

jst1more

I started working on a 58 rj and one point of concern is the hitch. I'm pretty sure this is a modification, and I would like to restore it back to original with the cable lift. I'm not sure of the dimensions or how close, or how much work, it would take to fabricate what i have back to original? Maybe it would be best to watch ebay for a hitch?
Thanks
Scott

rj h.JPG

rj hitch.jpg

Racinbob
  • That hitch was totally 'custom' built. You'll have to find the correct hitch. Not a bad hitch though. :)

RedRanger

Unless you're going to be using implements that you need to raise, I'd stay with the hitch you have.  Much better for general pulling.  Looks well made too.

AMC RULES
Maybe, try a wanted ad in the :rs:classifieds? 
Worth a try,
:confusion-helpsign: might net you an original.    

jst1more

thanks for the input guys, I think I'll try my luck over in the classifieds. Price might scare me back to bolting on the modified hitch

i

i'll

• Like 2

squonk

I got this hitch pretty cheap at last years show.rj_hitch_001.thumb.JPG.f4a30d5ce2e174e85

• Like 2

MikesRJ

Another view showing the correct pin as well.

image.jpg
039f.thumb.jpg.8a15122aac0b3f757d7229dcc

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 3

jst1more

This is my project rj, looks like I have quite a lot of work ahead of me.
The next show I usually attend is the fall Mentone show, I'll keep my eyes open for a hitch
thanks guys for your thoughts,Scott

IMG_0412.jpg

Edited by jst1more
  • Like 1

CasualObserver

What's with the Hensler Nursery sign in the background? Are you at the Christmas tree farm?

jst1more

Yes, I hang my work hat at hensler's where there is more shop space to tear into a project, so I often stick a horse in their shed. I'll give you a reminder this weekend and appreciate your offer to check your parts bin for a rj hitch.
Scott

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Cool. My in-laws have a Christmas tree farm in IL. They've gotten their seedlings and pre-cuts from Hensler's for years.  Are they still doing the Wheel Horse and ice cream weekend? I've never been able to make it over there for it.

jst1more

Small world Jason, I'm sure I know your in-laws. We had a lot of fun and participation with the wheel horse weekend for many years. We stopped doing the fall fest with pumpkins and weekend activities about two years ago. Doing all the Fall stuff starting in late August, and ending with Christmas in late Dec., too many weekends were spent working-- now Christmas trees keep us busy enough. Let me know if you find a hitch.

Thanks,
Scott