PeacemakerJack

Aldon, reminds me of the classic statement, "the best laid plans of mice and men."  What stories we wouldn't have to tell if everything went "just as planned"!  I'll be watching your every post on this resto.  I have a GT-14 that I purchased last spring, and I'm trying to decide how im going to approach a resto on it.  I'm debating first doing a sound mechanical resto (engine, hydro, cat O, and attach-a-magic) including a complete overhaul of the drivers station (dash, tunnel cover, controls, steering wheel, and seat) but leaving the cool patina on the sheet metal for now in keeping with the rat rod craze!  Someday, straightening the sheet metal and detail painting it if I so desire.  

Keep Up the good work! 

• Like 1

Aldon

Right on target with that quote.

My stress is self induced. I have learned a bunch of new skills having decided to take this level of project on. If I was to restore the other GT14 I would probably go the route of taking all the parts to a commercial sandblast and powder coating service. More for turn around time than anything. That would shorten the project immensely.

Someone should market a tractor hub and gear puller that will stand the abuse. I have broken 4 different store bought pullers so far. I have to think other tractors present the same difficulty removing their hubs.

One modifcation I may not get to on this project but which I will get to eventually is to change the hubs to D series 5 bolt and get a set of Older Chevy truck rims and some wider 29x12-15 try-power AG tires.

The Attachamatic addition will make a huge difference as the standard attachment system for the GT14 is a pita(inconvenient) lol

Edited by Aldon

GT14
Love those GTs, restoring mine may be my next project.
  • Like 1

rtfbg

The more I read your comments the more I started thinking.  I truley have become a better person as a result of doing my project.  I had NO patience, and was a results oriented mind all the way.  But those little issues, which you seem to be experiencing as well, have made me a new person!!  At first, they just pissed me off.  But after awhile, I began to accept them, and ... waaalaaa ... a new attitude!!  And I like it!!  Hope you feel the same!!  Nice project by the way!!  bob

• Like 5

JPWH

Isn't it amazing how simple it seems at first. My problem is I forget to factor in how long it takes to actually do what I can think of.

• Like 3

Aldon

Well I made some progress this week in spite of work and family obligations. I managed to get the parts tractor torn down to frame. Degreased it tonight and should be able to get it blasted and primed in next day or two. I will lose a few days next week as I am headed to Indiana. My next step is
will be to measure and fit the attach-a-matic brackets. Also take a crack and adding foot pedal hydro control in that has a factory look to it. Then I should be ready to start painting or and I am seriously considering at this point, taking it to have it powder coated. I will probably  take it to get it quoted and let price dictate paint or powder coat. At the pace I am going I figure 6-8 weeks to be done with tractor. Looking like an early spring wrap up unless I go powder coat route which may also factor in.image.thumb.jpg.f89e991a55163aff5240e8f9image.thumb.jpg.b43898d98ebc82a965527b55

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 5

PeacemakerJack

." At the pace I am going I figure 6-8 weeks to be done with tractor. Looking like an early spring wrap up unless I go powder coat route which may also factor in."

--This thing is looking great so far!  I'm watching and learning with eager anticipation.  It is getting me excited about working on mine!  Thanks for the pics---

• Like 2

glenn27

Looking good-Aldon....

Very, very true about all of 'life's pi-falls'..very true-
glenn

• Like 1

Aldon

Looking good-Aldon....

Very, very true about all of 'life's pi-falls'..very true-
glenn

Thanks Glenn, good to hear from a fellow Virginian. I hail from Virginia, Roanoke/Christiansburg/Blacksburg area. I still have a brother near Charllottesville and Sister in Staunton. I make it down to deer hunt with my brother every couple years. 

Aldon

So I was delayed preparing for trip to Indiana, the actual trip and then the recovery. I found a great new owner for the C195 and a new wheel horse friend. So well worth the trip. So I am just getting started back on the restomod. My power washer died so I can't blast the frame as I had wanted so while I sort that out, I have been blasting the odds and ends like 3 point assembly, mule parts, for multiple decks, wheel weights and I ordered a right side brake pedal for the foot hydro control I plan on using. I do not want anyone hitting hydro forward accidentally thinking they are hitting the brake. So first order of business was grinding off the lettering. Then building up the ridges so it will look stock, blast, prime and paint. Next up I have to restore the power washer to operation so unless it's a stuck valve, I may be delayed longer than I wish. Pic of pedal.....image.thumb.jpg.3f74bc08589d1b27e551fe7aimage.thumb.jpg.6d16bcc842a8211c56fd5edeimage.thumb.jpg.ad55255034829b415f61a734

• Like 1

Aldon

I hit the shop before 8 am hoping to get some work done before temps drove me to my knees. While it hit above 90 the humidity stayed resonable so I put in a pretty full day. Odds and end stuff but I also managed to remove the front axle assembly and got the frame almost ready for prime. I need to have the foot pedal peg welded to the right side of frame and going to have the front cross piece strengthened. If all goes well I will get this over to welder this week. I am actually a decent welder but have yet to purchase a welder. It's in the queue of items I wish to get along with a powder coat oven. 

So so along with a set of front wheel weights I also cleaned up the seat frame. That was a chore. While I have a seat, I would like to take a crack at upholstery and see if I can manage a close reproduction. That way I can perhaps make it with leather which will make my back sweat less. Hopefully:-) PS, the red piece next to final white coat wheel weight is the front axle assembly pin. In case your wondering.image.thumb.jpg.d54ceb6d11398728633d93fdimage.thumb.jpg.2c64d8ea80c2a4e44dcbde9fimage.thumb.jpg.0549a78fae0fcef34dfade51image.thumb.jpg.05eca79780648ade8e288119image.thumb.jpg.89ed3a926c988adc6aef1d92

image.jpg

• Like 2

Aldon

Very busy work week so did not get much done until this afternoon. So I am busy trying to wrap up all the loose ends. One of those loose ends is that I have been trying fruitlessly to free the right side rear hub from the Hydro I plan to use on the tractor. I broke 4 different pullers in the process. Eventually got to point where I could use hub from opposite side as others on the forum have done. Just could not get the leverage necessary. I finally decided it wa stone to go big or give up. Bought the hydraulic puller below from Amazon for a C note. I should have made this investment ages ago. Once I got it in position I had it off in no time. I initially had set it up with a Grade 8 nut between the ram and bolt head as ram had a centering point. Then I realized that centering point gives way under pressure. Very pleased with how easy this is in comparison to prior efforts. I will say that it required all the muscle that the 10 ton puller had. But the puller won this round :greetings-clappingyellow:image.thumb.jpg.25182b5ff470361f80f4f582image.thumb.jpg.5ff9683dbb95a465ba27a307image.thumb.jpg.d33c6f9976686498a510756e

• Like 5

Aldon

Well am waiting on Hyrdraulic parts, need to find a Welder(only been local a couple years) and have to get some Black Diamond. Spent Saturday morning trying to resuscitate the power washer. No Go. I could spend time and money on new valve but unit was only nominally powerful enough. Will try and work without and upgrade in spring. So need extra media to blast outdoors. But I started cleaning up and doing all the Smalls. Did not think I accomplished much but as I gathered it all for a photo for documentation purposes, not a bad couple shortened days. 

Photos not great as indoors and I have used the backing so much it matches the parts.

The rear weights I picked up earlier this summer from Forum friend in CT. Decided as long as I am in blast mode, why not knock the rust off and repaint. These days if it's not nailed down and its metal, it gets the refresh:-)

The Hydro engage lever and adjustment rats nest were the last parts done along with front axle assembly. 

Down to cleaning and painting the Hydro itself, then the Frame once welded. While I may not get finish coat done before winter, I think I can get it done in early spring worst case. 

Any by of you paint experts, if I set up a paint area in basement, will paint cure around 55-58 degrees? Might set up a paint booth in basement this winter and vent outside.
image.thumb.jpg.018331012411181e7fddd85eimage.thumb.jpg.4848b6ccc0777250a31d24de

• Like 2

Aldon
image.thumb.jpg.2b3d678331c67d40340447adimage.thumb.jpg.49a81fbdd32b66e721590b4fBefore / After pics of gas tank. Using Vinyl Dye.

• Like 3

JPWH

That looks real good. Like new again. You will have a new tractor when you are done. 

• Like 1

Aldon

image.thumb.jpg.c917e26850d543972af49299That's my plan. It will look a lot like the GT14 Elliot Ness added to gallery recently which I pilfered to add here. I hope to get tractor finished no later than early spring. Then tackle the 54 in blade, 48 inch deck and rototiller so all are matching paint wise. 

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Aldon

Finally got my Hydro hoses and fittings. Also decided to pony up for a welder rather than taking to someone and paying. I found it on my porch tonight. Been some years but I was certified for a while so hopefully the skill returns quickly. Decided to ante up for the dual input voltage version and settled on the Razorweld 150 after some discussion with personnel at local welding supply shop. Does flux, shield gas mug/tig and stick welding. Bought it from Amazon and got a good price. 180 less than the shops price. I called the service facility in Washington State and spoke with a fella there for 20 minutes...did the whole internet research thing and decided to bite bullet. My biggest challenge is work is keeping me so busy! Hope to get significant progress this coming weekend. 
image.thumb.jpg.90aaca1fbd12b328aa22347dimage.thumb.jpg.3715f4a4530f4b9b787d59e6

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 4

Aldon

Bought a set of panels from Forum Vendor Glen Pettit. Using the advice in the forum I made the first pass with the paint marker. Need to wait for daylight to see if a second pass is necessary.image.thumb.jpg.2e529a82c886aa60c82e65d9

Edited by Aldon

DennisThornton

Bought a set of panels from Forum Vendor Glen Pettit. Using the advice in the forum I made the first pass with the paint market. Need to wait for daylight to see if a second pass is necessary.image.thumb.jpg.2e529a82c886aa60c82e65d9

Glenn reproduces these?

Aldon

Yes. Glen Pettit in Vendor section. The white over painting of text needs added by the purchaser.

Here is the tunnel plate's similar first pass....Patience is not one of my virtues and this is a tedious process. But it did give me something to do while watching colts lose first half to Jets. Now I can let the paint dry and watch remainder.
image.thumb.jpg.48bf2347b03feb19fa010ee3

Edited by Aldon

JPWH

Panels are looking good. Did you use a paint marker? 

Aldon

Panels are looking good. Did you use a paint marker? 

Yes Hank01. MikesRJ thread in Instrctional/restoration/panel forum walks a person through the process. I used same paint pen. I used the fine point though. I can't recall what MIKESRJ called for. I have both the Fine and Medium tipped white paint pens but for me, fine was easier. Takes a steady hand and my bifocal vision made it a challenge in light conditions. 

I also have an original panel in good physical condition that I plan to do full process on using the black vinyl dye to freshen up along with paint marker. 

• Like 1

Aldon

I was pretty ill with Flu and lost a few days of what's left before winter. I have another thread started dealing with repair of my Hydro Cam Block and plastic Cam. The Cam block had crack and fell apart. The Cam was only barely holding together and had gotten very brittle with age. Sooooo a bit of a delay arranging replacement parts. So I spent some time in the Right side Hydro Pedal mod. Cut the foot peg from donor frame. Cut the weld off the back side, tapped peg out of frame section, and pics of the prep of Frame which I will use. Not bad for a sickness impaired week. Have to pick up a 3/4 inch drill bit and if things go smooth for a change, I will get the frame peg welded onto frame, strengthen front of frame, paint and ideally have a rolling chassis by end of weekend.
image.thumb.jpg.7240b519393d16a01d825e35image.thumb.jpg.a8fd8674740401c1f5dc5d31image.thumb.jpg.20226ae5399dea3f503510d5image.thumb.jpg.a2f36c0e73c5a20d0f812ad0image.thumb.jpg.7c67ecaf70ba1dadffbb36e0image.thumb.jpg.d6bf097d922c1c18cb2c0a70image.thumb.jpg.0ef658b0220c308772e0cea6image.thumb.jpg.4fe40a584506cdda07d24dbaimage.thumb.jpg.ff3a881f0346a8366e128a74

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

JPWH

Looking like a lot of work. I will be following along to see this horse reborn.
Hope you feel better and have a speedy recovery. I commend  your drive and ambition.
I had to go to the emergency room a couple months ago with the flu. Two shots, two prescriptions, a weeks vacation time used up, several bills and two weeks later  I was finally back to normal. 

• Like 1

Aldon

It looks like it might be early next week before I get the Cam Block and plastic Cam replaced and figured the Hydro and Motor deserve to be bragged about a bit:-) Also got the frame and hydro foot peg mocked up and ready to weld in place....and lots of internal parts painted but no pics of those until they are on the tractor again.
Was also able to add a 220 receptacle for my welder this afternoon.
image.thumb.jpg.4c7bf4a1d378e5c9cfb4a374image.thumb.jpg.d28e35729f2f90a74e6baefaimage.thumb.jpg.c0f77860eebc9b970b19f8b2image.thumb.jpg.eea72e7b504e200f4c9c816f

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3