skeptichorse

ok so what can a wheel horse do?

boovuc

The fluid leak is what caused your hub to loosen up. Happens all the time if the seal isn't replaced in a timely manner. 
I have skidded oak logs, (within reason), for years around camp using my C-175 8 Speed with ags and rear weights. The huge advantage the Wheelhorse garden tractor has over most of the tractors of that era was that incredibly engineered manual transmission. The Eaton 1100 used on the 520-H, 416-H, 314-H and 417-H to name a few is powerful but isn't as capable at ground engaging work as the manual 8 speeds are. 

wh500special

Great suggestions all about what a wheel horse can do, but nobody has yet mentioned the most important thing of all:  

Bring a bunch of folks from all over the world together and form lasting friendships.  

Good luck with your lumber jacking!

steve

• Like 7

Coadster32

Plow some big snow with little power.
http://th_pics053.mp4

Hang with the big boys.
 http://DSCF0015-1.jpg

Impress the judges.
http://th_pics161.mp4

Win some awards.
http://Picture128.jpg

Spark creativity.
http://pics004-5.jpg

Bring good folks together.
http://Picture015.jpg

Meet famous people.  (Don't forget about Bob Hope...if you did your reading)
http://pics158.jpg

Keep a family well rooted together.
http://DSCF0156.jpg

Edit----darn it!! spent a little extra time posting this, and the links don't work. Apparently Wheel Horses won't help you be computer literate!! 

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 8

skeptichorse

Its funny you mentioned spark creativity... I am already wondering what else I can do with it lol

I will admit I was kind of embarrassed bringing my little horse into the woods, when my neighbors drive around 40 HP cubs and deere to do theirs with.    and here I am on what looks like a riding mower.

But when I went out with my boys to bring in a few more I just chuckled..  and started playing around which made the task more fun.  I had another 20+ long log not too big in diameter... I put it in low 1 and once it was out of the woods let my 9 yr old jump on as I walked beside him (for saftey)...should have seen him smile from ear to ear he thought he was the MAN lol,  and ofcourse my older boy thought it would be fun to ride on the log...so he sat down and the horse never flinched and he went to a sleigh ride.

I plan on doing the seals QUICK...because now that I am using it I am noticing the other side is starting to weep.    My deck parts should be in tomorrow and next order is for the seals.

I have to wonder now what a good set of tires would be like too... almost scared of how much traction it would get lol

Now I need a plow....

• Like 3

skeptichorse

I don't know about wheel horses, but yanking with a farm tractor can result in it rotating around the rear wheels and doing a back flip. Lots of farmers have been injured or killed trying to pull stumps with a farm tractor. Be careful

I have flipped my 4 wheeler more than once dragging logs, when they would dig in (and they werent as big as what I tested the horse with).. so when I am on the horse my foot is right next to that clutch at ALL times... 
What surprises me is HOW it pulls... It does need a tug to get them started.  I always start in the lowest gear and see if I can get them freed up, but if I need to bump them I will.  But the main difference is once they are moving the machine just goes.... and goes and doesnt want to stop.  You never even feel like you are dragging anything, it doesnt want to come up on you like the wheeler did.  The machine just feels balanced to me for doing this kind of work.

• Like 2

brandonozz

Another thing you could do is split wood with one of those screw-type log splitters mounted on one of the drive axles.

cdsl810

The problem is, skeptichorse, once you've been bitten by the Wheel Horse bug...

You just want more of them!

I started out with a really nice 520-H. It's the Cadillac of the classic 300/400/500 series. There's not much it can't do with its powerful 20HP opposed twin cylinder Onan (some cringe at the mention of that name, but mine is solid) and hydro drive.
Then, I was lucky enough to have a 310-8 given to me. I thought that it probably couldn't hang with the 520-H, but surprisingly--that little 10HP Kohler Magnum paired with 8 gears can really hold its own. Especially when pulling. 
And recently I came across a 522xi and snatched it up. 22HP with power steering and even heavier construction than the 520-H was very enticing. I bought it just because I wanted to see what it could do. It is the epitome of WOW!

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter which Wheel Horse you end up with. The one you're sitting on is better than just about anything else you could have bought brand new (especially for the price). They are amazing machines, and from smallest to largest they just get it done. And with THIS FORUM, you will never be at a loss for knowledge and advice. What brand new machine comes with hundreds of experienced owners that can help you with anything related to your tractor?

My wife was really upset when I bought a 23-year-old 520-H instead of something new with a warranty. She has seen what I can do with it and now she gets it. The neighbors can't do half of what I can with their brand new big box tractors. One of them even brought their brand new Craftsman over for a friendly pulling contest (I'm sure our kids had something to do with it). He was shocked and embarrassed when his was permanently stuck in reverse no matter what he tried. Since that day, every time I fire up the mighty Onan, at least one of the neighbors is suddenly out on their newer machine, as if to show me up or something. Too funny. I wonder what they are thinking now with the 522xi. But interestingly enough, Since I first bought my 520-H over two years ago, several horses have appeared in the neighborhood--mostly the same 300/400/500 series, but my next door neighbor just got a 1970s B or C series (don't know which one yet)  that he got after selling his eXmark. Apparently he has more work to do than just mow. Hopefully I can convert them all and have my own neighborhood WH club :lol:!

• Like 3

alswagg

My ole D backhoe spent the first part of its life digging graves in up state New York.  Up until a few years ago when I bought at an on line auction.   Now it digs water lines power lines stump removable  the front loader picks up logs debri fills levels ect.  Great machine/tool.   

stevasaurus

Here is that log splitter attachment...that's Zeek talking with JDogCustoms.  :)

2012_06252013WHCC0004.thumb.JPG.f46bffd0

2012_06252013WHCC0005.thumb.JPG.e4fc8087

• Like 1

JPWH

I like to think my Raider can do anything a big tractor can do but in smaller spaces and maybe a little slower in the large spaces. That would depend on the operator. 

• Like 1

PaulC

This is a really neat thread. The capabilities of our beloved :wh: has always impressed me then coupled with their simplicity and reliability its a winning combo. Your logging pulling stories I find very impressive as well. I have been wondering a lot lately how much mud and such these beast can get through, I hunt the field out behind my house and want to use my horse to bring deer back in. The field can get pretty wet and muddy though and I worry about getting stuck. What your doing with your horse here though might give me enough confidence to give it a go this year.

I have mainly just used my horses for mowing and snow duties but I have also hooked up to my 3 place snowmobile trailer to move around my tight yard. With the 3 sleds and trailer itself its about 2500 lbs and my horse moves it around great. I also moved it around with a  yard of mulch on it this spring just had to be careful because the front end is much lighter without the blower hooked up.

Im pretty sure I have impressed my neighbors also with the horses snowblowing capability. We had a really good(most people would say bad) winter this past year in the buffalo NY area and my horse was up to every storm. I wish it somehow measured how much snow it moved because I think the number would be incredible. My neighbor outfitted his craftsman mower with a plow and the first storm we got dumped a ton of snow and he didn't make it 10 feet before it rendered itself useless. I went to help him clear the end of his driveway that he was shoveling later in the year and he said "man I gotta get me a setup like that".

I find these machines do such a good job it actually makes them fun to use while doing the work and it sounds like you are feeling that same way with yours. Pictures and videos of your log pulling would be awesome.

@stevasaurus you need to post of video of that log splitter in action!! My dad heats with wood all winter so he yearly processes 50 cord or so, I would love to show him that splitter in action and skeptihorse dragging huge logs.

skeptichorse

I still dont get it LOL, It is just a little machine that just works.... The more I do with it the more I want to try to do with and the more it seems determined to do it, so the more you want to do with it lol .  
I think that may be where the addiction starts,

@stevasaurus you need to post of video of that log splitter in action!! My dad heats with wood all winter so he yearly processes 50 cord or so, I would love to show him that splitter in action and skeptihorse dragging huge logs.

Paul... that sounds like a challenge... I may just have to put something together this weekend lol stay tuned for atleast picts of it, my video transfer from my phone doesnt work that well.

brandonozz

Steve,

Wasn't there also one that mounted to the rear wheel (bolting to the hub) and came with a "jack" type device that lifted the rear tire off the ground?  It was operated by putting the tractor in gear.

Coadster32

Steve,

Wasn't there also one that mounted to the rear wheel (bolting to the hub) and came with a "jack" type device that lifted the rear tire off the ground?  It was operated by putting the tractor in gear.

http://th_DSCF4195.mp4

It's called the "Stickler". I use it off the rear of my truck. I must have split over 20 chord with it so far. Uses the differential. Honestly, I wouldn't bolt it onto a wheel horse differential though.

stevasaurus

Brandon, I think so, but I have yet to see one.  I wish I had the one I took pictures of, but it was Jordon's.  I have seen like a sawing attachment, for sawing lumber...using a belt off the PTO.  Quite honestly, you are only limited by your imagination.  Great video Chris.  :)
Here is a fabricated front hitch (thanks to Shorts) that I needed to push and pull my boat from the front...notice I have the fabricated back hitch also on my B-100.  Both hitches work fantastic.

2013_0513d0001.thumb.JPG.f19e5146bb587d6

2013_0503c0002.thumb.JPG.4325fac728ed39e

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

C-101plowerpower

I've been doing this with mineIMG_20150728_172729464.thumb.jpg.0ecb70a
I also pull started my farmall cub and a Porsche diesel junior with it. Pulled a big trailer that was on handbrake, the farmall cub couldnt get it off it's place

• Like 2

WHnoob

Mine pulled this big rock out of the ground.  Granted it had to roll the rock more than drag it to avoid slipping the tires.

P_20160329_192523.jpg

• Like 2

MWR

My Wheelhorse can clean up Dodge

• Like 5

rwilson

Pretty sure I even saw one make ice cream.

• Like 3

rwilson

image.jpeg

• Like 7

c-series don

I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone have more info/pics on this PTO driven ice cream maker in the above picture? Thanks 

Rollerman
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 10:53 PM, skeptichorse said:

I will admit I was kind of embarrassed bringing my little horse into the woods, when my neighbors drive around 40 HP cubs and deere to do theirs with.    and here I am on what looks like a riding mower.

And what did that C141-8 speed cost you versus your neighbors bigger Compact Utility Tractor sized Cub & Deere...

Yes the Horse may be less capable than a newer 40HP CUT, but it will be a lot easier on your pocket...not just you initial purchase, but the Horse's are very owner maintenance & repair friendly.

I'd love to have a newer Kubota or Deere CUT myself with a loader & backhoe

Until I can justify that purchase I can keep my Horse's running & maintained for a while longer for what I'd have in a few monthly payments on a new machine.

• Like 2

Andrew D.

Dads wheel horse C-161 pulling green (wet) elm wood this is one of hundreds of loads of wood this tractor has pulled without any major problems and yet another example of what these tractors are capable of. (that's me driving). not saying a 500cc quad wouldn't pull it but I cant think of anything else for $375 that will do that.:)

• Like 7