mikemc53

C-81 No Start

mikemc53

This tractor (1978 C-81) has always started easily. Well it sat for a couple of weeks and today when I went to start it...no luck. It seems to be a fuel delivery issue because it cranks real well and will start with starter fluid but it only runs for a second or two and then stalls. I don't smell any gasoline so I don't think it's making it to the carb (but not sure - didn't have time to really check it out). I know where the fuel pump is but I didn't see the filter when I did a quick once over. Where is the filter on this tractor. My B-100 is easy to see and get at but I'm curious where this one is.

Anything else in particular I should be looking for? The filter and pump seem to be the prime suspects but I am really interested in hearing any opinions.
Thanks gang.

slammer302

Might just be a stuck float Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rmaynard

Make sure that you have gas in the tank.

I would start at the output side of the fuel pump. Remove the fuel hose and have someone crank over the engine. You should have a good solid spurt of gas with every revolution of the engine. Have a container handy to catch the gas. Also, for safety sake, remove and ground the spark plug wire first. If no or very low flow, go to the input side of the pump, remove the line and see if you can get a gravity flow of gas. If you have a good gravity flow, you may have a bad fuel pump. If not, work you way back to the tank to see where the flow is stopped. Also, you may not have a fuel filter, but if you do, it could be anywhere in the line from the tank to the pump. If the pump and fuel line is okay, remove and clean the carburetor.

• Like 1

oldredrider

It's a long way from the tank to the carb on a C-81. You probably need to reprime the fuel line. Blow air into the fuel tank. I use a funnel and air nozzle hooked to a compressor. A short blast (1-2 seconds) will do the trick. 

mikemc53

Does anyone know what size fuel line this uses? What is there is really dry rotted and cracked so I might as well replace it when I decide to dig into this.

I did try the compressed air but still no go. Quickstart will get it to run a second or two and then back to nothing. Not sure if I will be able to get to it in the next couple of days but when I do if it is the fuel pump are there rebuild kits for it?

1978c81

I have same issue when my c 81 sits for a while. I remove one end of small hose that goes from pump to carb and fill with fuel. Usually starts after that.

pfrederi

If it turns out to be your fuel pump I would put in an electric pump rather than buying a new mechanical one or trying to rebuild yours.  They are cheaper than most of the mechanical replacements and work great.  My 418  would take forever cranking to start if she sat for a couple of weeks.  That is a big issue when she was on snowblower duty and might sit for 2-3 weeks then have to crank forever when it was in the teens...Needed a good battery.   Facet 60245 works well and is only about $35

mikemc53

I think I got it cleared.

Started at the output of the fuel pump and found I was getting no gas. The input line had gas in it so I decided it was the pump. Took it off and things were pretty dirty but I didn't take it apart (at first) but just played with the activator arm and could hear the diaphragm working so I cleaned up the outside and put it back together...no fuel.

So I took the pump off again and this time decided to take it apart. Cleaned both screens and any ports and played with the gasket, a bit (though it really should be replaced) and put it back together. Pumping fuel like a sonofagun now. Not sure what caused it to stop except maybe some clogs - also noticed that every fitting and screw was loose, which can't help when you're trying to push fuel with air that is escaping out of any loose connection.

Anyway it started up and ran like a champ - which it has always done. I will get either a rebuild kit or an electric pump to have on hand, just in case. This tractor has always been a real easy start, even in the winter, with very little cranking required. My B-100 is a bit tougher to start but I have to give it credit since it sits in a tougher climate for much longer periods between uses and it still runs when I need it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't get around here much but when I do it is always fun.
Take care.

rmaynard

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.