Racer5x

Is it worth it?

Racer5x

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this tractor. It has an 8hp Kohler. Can anyone tell me what model the tractor is? Mid 70's i'm pretty sure...Thanks for any input you guys may have! 
00T0T_1YAlPxTDKEB_600x450.jpg

DELETED CRAIGSLIST AD PER THE RULE. 

octfst

That looks like a 1973 8hp 4 speed. There known as no names because in 1973 they didn't name them.

• Like 1

Racer5x

Thanks for that information! Do you think its worth $300? Looking for one to restore and mess around with.
Thanks

coolhandblack

Being from Indiana,  I'm sure you can find all kinds of wheel horses. I can tell you they are hard to find in kansas but if it was close to me I'd buy it in a heartbeat especially since it comes with a snow blade!

• Like 2

Racer5x

To be honest it seems they have died off on craigslist. Back 5 years ago or so when I restored a few of them they were all over craigslist! I'm going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully pick it up!
Thanks guys!

Racinbob

Probably worth that but something is screwy here. Look at the decal on the hoodstand. The front wheels. The hood decals. The clutch pedal. It's been pieced together but that's not always a bad thing. 

Racer5x

yeah I noticed that stuff too. Thinking about just holding off for now and seeing what comes up.

rmaynard

According to the parts list for that model, front wheels on the early 8 HP 4's could have been 6", and the hood decals were shared with other earlier models like the Commando 800 and Raiders.  The clutch/brake pedal appears to be way out of adjustment. Since we don't know the year of manufacture, my guess is that's it's a 1973, and everything is original.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Racer, if it runs good it isn't a bad deal. They did put 6" on the Commando but it also had 10" rears but that's a minor thing. The decals are not correct for that era but again, a minor thing. The clutch isn't just an adjustment but I suspect it's a simple fix as well, possibly a roll pin.For the money he's asking I think you'd be doing fine with the attachments. Coolhand is right about Indiana having it's share of Wheel Horses so there's others out there if you pass this one up.

• Like 1

kudzu3

Metal looks good, seems original, if there are no engine or trans issues it will be an easy restoration...I'd take it home before someone else does, but where I am, they are rare.

• Like 1

546cowboy

Well it kind of depends where you are in Indiana to find Wheel Horses at a decent price. Personally I seem to be in a dead zone here in NW Indiana. When I was doing a lot of refurbishing they always seemed to be 100 miles away from me. I have gone almost 200 for several. Duh! not a good idea!
I have only owned a couple of the Tecumseh's and never had one that would run either. I did swap out a couple with the HF engines and one with a Carroll Stream electric start.All my tecuseh engines went to the scrap yard.