Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

what do you consider a wheel horse

bkuntz

I bought an old Wheel horse and I am trying to figure out the year and model as I need to get parts. I has an ID# 2217KE02 45654 and under that it has another # S 273.

I don't know what to make of those numbers - Is this a Wheel Horse and can anyone advise a year and possibly a user manual?

Thanks

Brian

T-Mo

Hi, Brian. :hide:

Recheck that number again - the first part doesn't seem right. First there should be "-" between the second and third character. The 22 part doesn't seem right to me, but the 17KE02 indicates a 17 hp Kohler with an Eaton transmission. Recheck the that "22" again.

mcwh1950

first off :hide: bkuntz you model numbers 22-17ke02 is a 1989 257h

T-Mo

Thanks, Smitty, for finding that. I had a feeling it might have been a vertical shaft tractor as the data base I used don't have those - I guess I could have check the Toro site.

I just did and here's the info:

Model Number 22-17KE02

Serial # None - None

Model Year 1989

Product Name 257-H Tractor

Product Brand Wheel Horse

Product Type Riding Products

Product Series Yard Tractor, 250 Series

Swath Deck Optional

Discharge Deck Optional

Engine/Motor Manufacturer Kawasaki

Engine/Motor Size# 17 hp

Transmission Speed Infinitely Variable

Transmission Type Hydrostatic

"K" in this case means Kawasaki.

Here's the manuals listed:

Operator Manual [ English ] 810562R1 28 Pgs.

Parts Catalog [ English ] 810604R1 92 Pgs.

Eaton 7 Hydrostatic Transmission - Peerless 1320 [ English ] 492-4003 38 Pgs.

Kawasaki FC540 - FC260V Engine Manual [ English ] 492-4210 87 Pgs.

Toro Productivity Series: Hydraulics [ English ] 492-4508 36 Pgs.

Toro/Lawn-Boy Quality of Cut Manual [ English ] 492-4763 Rev 57 Pgs.

The first two you can order from here: https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm?xCaller=Toro

The last four you can download from here: https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/...=214&PageID=459

Michael Bullington

this is too good of a post not to put my 2 cents in,,

Well I consider anything that has the name on it a Wheel Horse,,,even if it is the stamped frame...I just glad to see the name out there and people enjoying any type of Wheel Horse they own...

The true wheel horse people will know which machine are the best to own,, just like with chevy ford or dodge cars...Every manufacture has their bad years..some are popular some are not

Also all the lawnmower racers love the stamped frame machines...maybe we will see some wheel horse win some championships!

Their is a Wheel Horse for Everyone! :horseplay: :horseplay:

linen beige

this is too good of a post not to put my 2 cents in,,

Well I consider anything that has the name on it a Wheel Horse,,,even if it is the stamped frame...I just glad to see the name out there and people enjoying any type of Wheel Horse they own...

The true wheel horse people will know which machine are the best to own,, just like with chevy ford or dodge cars...Every manufacture has their bad years..some are popular some are not

Also all the lawnmower racers love the stamped frame machines...maybe we will see some wheel horse win some championships!

Their is a Wheel Horse for Everyone! :horseplay: :horseplay:

:D:hide::hide:

How about this? If Wild Bill will let you park it at Arendtsville, it's a Wheel horse.

bustedglass

Kevin - I take offense to your remark that a Wheel Horse is a GARDEN TRACTOR, with everything else, being something else.

I have a little 1985 B211-3, that over the years has become a B215.5-5, if you have read any of my previous posts. True, I have only used this little "TRACTOR" for grass cutting chores plus a few times pulling my single axle dump bed trailer loaded with whatever, it has cut 2 acres of grass every week during grass cutting season. And I think, thank you, :D that this owes my little "Lawn Mower" the right to be called a "TRACTOR", and for sure a "WHEEL HORSE".

I just picked up a 1988 414-8 Basket Case . Maybe when I get it running, and restored, I will be a "TRUE" Wheel Horse owner :hide: .

willy victor

I see I have started something here, you guys don't know when you're getting your leg pulled do you. :hide::D

Willy

kpinnc

Kevin - I take offense to your remark that a Wheel Horse is a GARDEN TRACTOR, with everything else, being something else.

I apologize Mike, I was afraid my post would be taken that way.

What is important is that this thread asks "What do YOU consider a wheel horse", and I was adding my two cents. It's just my opinion, and I wasn't trying to define what one should be for everyone else. Looking back on my post, I can see where it seemed a bit preachy. If it matters, I had just seen a 200 series on Craigslist local to me, and the PO was asking $1000 for it simply because of the name on the hood. Stuff like that burns me up. I wouldn't give $1000 for most of the larger models.

Many people like the vertical shaft machines, and as I said, Wheel Horse models most definately were built sturdier than most. I was not trying to put them down. But my personal preference- which is what I felt the thread was asking for, are the garden tractor models.

What is important is that you like the machine you have, and I certainly understand that. I have followed some of your previous posts, and you do have a nice TRACTOR.

Didn't mean to offend.

Kevin

Buzz

Hey Mike, if you want to take offense with someone, take offense with Toro. On their site they have your tractor listed as "lawn tractor, 200 series" not garden tractor. It was designed to use a mower deck, a snow thrower, and snow blade, but not ground engaging equipment like rototillers, discs, harrows, etc. By that token, you could describe my 1968 Lawn Ranger the same way. That doesn't alter the fact that they are both Wheel Horses, and if your happy with it that's all that matters :hide: .

willy victor

Hey Buzz I see your point, but how do you plow snow without engaging the ground????

Willy

bustedglass

Kevin & Buzz - Points well taken. Yes, Toro does list the 200 series as a lawn mower. But NOWHERE do they say that this series is not a Wheel Horse .........

I guess that a lot can be said for any series that each of us own. The best thing about it, if it says Wheel Horse on the side, regardless of the series, it is the best damn piece of lawn / grounds equipment ever made !!!!!!!!

kpinnc

The best thing about it, if it says Wheel Horse on the side, regardless of the series, it is the best damn piece of lawn / grounds equipment ever made !!!!!!!!
:hide::D:hide::omg::omg::D:party:

Kevin