JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

elcamino/wheelhorse

I agree those wheels are an accident waiting to happen. Just airing up the tires could end up with metal fragments flying into you . 

JPWH

I agree they are not safe to use in their present condition. That's why I'm doing the extensive time consuming repairs.
I would be more worried about the wheel buckling under the weight than blowing up because of the low pressure used.
When I finish the repairs the tube or tire would rupture before the wheel. 

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 5

JPWH

I finally got a little shop time today. I did not work on the wheels because I did not have time to hang around for fire watch. I still managed to do some grinding on the gas tank welds. Then I cleaned up the transmission and internal parts and did a test run on assembly.
KIMG0032.thumb.jpg.8a92eb84a133a3c555bb1KIMG0033.thumb.jpg.25fb0bb3da304bda89dceKIMG0034.thumb.jpg.713515807eebdca969475KIMG0036.thumb.jpg.c9de61e34b41c792e5947
I have a question. On the left half where the bottom bearing goes there is a metal sleeve of some sort. The bearing came out complete. Is this something that needs to be replaced?
 KIMG0035.thumb.jpg.e93a8ff43a500cc434c72

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice job Hank, no corner cutting for you.lookin good.

Glenn

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks Glenn. Sorry for the slow progress but I want to build it so my grandsons may enjoy it for many years .

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks Glenn. Sorry for the slow progress but I want to build it so my grandsons may enjoy it for many years .

dont apologise to me for a 1st class job.
i enjoy following it. Makes me wish i did better.

glenn

• Like 1

Coadster32

I can only guess from the picture you're asking about...is that "sleeve" what's left of the old shaft seal? It's been a while, but I don't recall a sleeve of any sorts being in there. Pretty sure the bearings and seals get pressed directly into the casted holes. Could it be the outer race of an old needle bearing you're looking at?:dunno: (I don't think so, but just throwing it out there for you.)

BTW...you're doing a great complete job for sure. Take your time with no apologies. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 1

JPWH

Thanks. When I blew up the drawing it shows there was 2 needle bearings and I only removed one. Probably what caused the damage to the original housing.

• Like 1

JPWH

It's been raining all week so I changed course and got back on the wheels. Welding and grinding done on the wheels so I used :jb weld to smooth out small pits. When it cures I will sand and paint primer.
KIMG0039.thumb.jpg.241ed1f57221df5380ae8KIMG0052.thumb.jpg.28baeef7bce1e9b37b282
While I was doing metal work I replaced the bottom pan in the hood stand 
KIMG0046.thumb.jpg.08c096d1a238cf887eb33KIMG0051.thumb.jpg.354adb7be5ea76250d704The starter/gen belt guard was from a JD and had a split that needed welded and I had to remove the incorrect mounting tabs and make new tabs. I used the original belt guard for tab locations. I'll have to form to correct length and drill mounting holes  later.
KIMG0054.thumb.jpg.fa3dd4efff1b19b1df6b6

• Like 2

Bert

You really do great work, cant wait to see the finished product :)

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hank. your astounding with that work. what can I say.

Glenn

• Like 2

Ken B

Looking pretty good Hank! As for the rims... Maybe a nicer set will roll your way, but in the mean time I'd roll with what you got. Like Craig said, a little JB weld goes a long way.  JB weld won't do anything to strengthen the rim, more for giving the rim a smooth surface so you don't pop your tube. As far as it being a safety issue I don't see it being a real big deal. It looks as though you have got any loose scale grinded off. Whats your top speed, 6???? Just going by what you have posted and how far you are going with your restore I can tell that you know whether or not they will be safe, they are right in front of you and you can tell much better than any of us. Sometimes things might look better, and sometimes worse in pictures.... I removed a lot of material making these front slot rims for my Lil Suburban... I sacrificed these rims because they had rust holes almost like yours that I repaired. I've used the tractor plenty, even diving deep into the corners at the Big Show and no issues... Shoot, I fired it up and ran it around a little just yesterday, the first time since June when I had it at the Big Show. 
DSCN2296_zps4bfdf0cb.jpg

• Like 7

stevasaurus

That does look like the old bearing sleeve in the input shaft hole in the casting.  It needs to be tapped out.  :)  When you put in the new bearings there...put one in from the inside and tap until flush with casting.  Put the other in from the outside and tap in until you have enough room for the seal to be flush. 
You rebuild looks great Hank.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JPWH

Thanks guys for all the kind words. After looking closer at the piece left in the housing (with my reading glasses and a flash light) lol. It does look like it is from a needle bearing.
As for the rims, the grinding marks are from a flap disc i used to rough up the surface before aplying the jb weld. When the jb weld gets hard I'll sand it smooth then paint.
Ken B those are some nice looking wheels!

• Like 2

JPWH

More cutting and welding today. This time the hood was on the table. Still a long way to go but at least I have some metal to weld the mounting bracket to when I find it. I stole an idea from buckrancher for the metal trim for the hood. His 854 build has been my go to for my rebuild. Thanks buckrancher! I still have more welding and bodywork but here's the progress for today.
KIMG0050.thumb.jpg.60df974fbf4ede94dbb95KIMG0061.thumb.jpg.446333e246a3526623054KIMG0062.thumb.jpg.704d777d4fce0b00c48f91447622438919548534588.thumb.jpg.3ad4180

Edited by Hank01
Spelling
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hank, you didnt learn this in those read at home classes? J/K of course, luv watchin this stuff. 

glenn

• Like 1

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:               Hank, you are doing a great job saving vintage tin many people would have thrown away. :handgestures-thumbupright:

At first glance I thought Ken B had some cast aluminum slotted wheels on the front of his Suburban, very cool.  :handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 1

JPWH

Not all of it Glenn. Alot of internet! Lol 
Thaks for watching.
Thanks 953 nut. It wont be perfect maybe but I will do my best with what i have to make it sound.

Wheel-N-It
Hey Bud, I'm totally impressed at the quality work you are doing. :bow-blue: 
Wish you would move to NC so we could do some of this :wh: stuff together :handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
Hey Bud, I'm totally impressed at the quality work you are doing.

Wish you would move to NC so we could do some of this  stuff together

Van, he does have the knack doesnt he. Cant wait to see the end result.  Its gonna be sweet.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Wheel-N-It

Van, he does have the knack doesnt he. Cant wait to see the end result.  Its gonna be sweet.

Glenn

Glenn, Hank is talking about attending next years Big Show. Maybe he will unveil his 854 there, and we can all ride it around and get it muddy down by the creek ! :ROTF:

• Like 4

JPWH

Thanks guys. That sounds pretty good Van. :eusa-think: At the rate I'm going I will have to work a lot more hours to complete it by the big show and  
now I'm going to have to build mud guards as well. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thanks guys. That sounds pretty good Van.  At the rate I'm going I will have to work a lot more hours to complete it by the big show and  
now I'm going to have to build mud guards as well. 

Better build some pontoons for the 854 in case we get rain there in 2016 like we did this year!

• Like 1

JPWH

You may need to make a trip to GA to help me with the :wh: pontoons! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Hank01

953 nut

You may need to make a trip to GA to help me with the :wh: pontions! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wouldn't that make it a Seahorse?           :ychain:                                                      :ROTF:                                             :text-lol:

• Like 3