JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

JPWH

Well after some more clean up and tearing apart the differential I have decided to build it with all the old parts. After this practice run I should be ready to do a total rebuild with all good parts. I may have to buy one but would prefer to use what I already have. I have another compete trans and my son has another that is already torn apart.
My plan is to build the trans and the motor while paint is curing on tins and frame. The gas tank looks to be the next major hurdle.

• Like 2

motor12

I rebuilt the trans in my RJ58 and it was in worse shape than yours. It's a little noisy but works fine.

• Like 2

JPWH

My son has a transmission tore down that I hope to get some of the parts from. If the gears are in better shape I will try to repair one of these. I won't risk it if I don't have a replacement. I will be going to visit week after next. I'm also going to go salvaging in his parts yard. Never know what goodies I might find. lol

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Watching you redo yours reminds me of when I redid mine. Your going deeper into it, I didnt have to split the trans. Keep up the fine work, I have to watch this one through to the end. Most folks luv these little 854s, I do.  The end product will have you smiling ear to ear.

Glenn

• Like 3

JPWH

Thanks for all the encouragement. this will be my first total teakardown and rebuild. I want to make sure it is done well. I have made a little more progress. I got detained because I had to do a little upgrade on my electrical system. Started blowing fuses so I added a couple 240 volt circuits and replaced the old fuse box. Now back to the fun stuff. I had finally started on the blast cabinet. I will start a new thread for the build.I have totally tore down the starter/gen and ordered new studs.I need to find a new bolt. One was rounded off.NCM_0108.thumb.JPG.b6d44eb8212e3868853d0NCM_0095.thumb.JPG.e5a81d9495e4fb2b32f39NCM_0096.thumb.JPG.81c62981901cff36b775f

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hank, your doing great. My opinion would be to keep this thread for the teardown & rebuild, why not? Its allready  up an running. But that up to you. If you look around this site I think thats how most are done. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

JPWH

Thanks.I am keeping this thread. I will start a new thread for the blast cabinet build.

• Like 1

JPWH

My visit to see my grandchildren paid off. I got to spend an afternoon at Chucky Cheese with 4 precious children. One of which I have only seen in pictures for 6. years. I am a very happy grandpa. I also got almost all the transmission parts I needed. I have one gear oñ the way from a RS member. I also got a new shifter. I have new bearings and gasket ordered as well as shifter retaing bolt.
And I also have a starter gen kit I received last week.
I found a guy through a friend that is removing the broken screws frim the gas tank and will repair the bottom plate and bead blast it. I should be able to pick it up next week.NCM_0149.thumb.JPG.f24a571db292c023e3b2a

NCM_0148.JPG

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 5

JPWH

Gas tank as removed and attempt to remove screws. A total of 8 broke off so I took it to a shop for repair.NCM_0106.thumb.JPG.532e4a2a0b3c5a48de2fdNCM_0105.thumb.JPG.df2b72253c748080a327e repair did no go as planned. After much consideration ànd weighing the pros and cons this is what I haveNCM_0161.thumb.JPG.2bfbcee17583ffbe26598NCM_0163.thumb.JPG.1f899c89edcfa591d7ca3

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hank, get some PB blaster and soak stuff long before you go near it to take it apart.  It helps. Btw, looks great, you took it down WAY BETTER than I did mine, well done. 
Matter of fact, looking at yours, well sir, I might have to redo mine. Lol

glenn

• Like 1

JPWH

Hank, get some PB blaster and soak stuff long before you go near it to take it apart.  It helps. Btw, looks great, you took it down WAY BETTER than I did mine, well done. 
Matter of fact, looking at yours, well sir, I might have to redo mine. Lol

glenn

Other than the gas tank I have only broke 3 bolts. I've had everything soaking for a couple months. It was so rusty I had to tear it totally down and find better pàrts. As soon as I finish my blast cabinet I will be ready to start cleaning tins, frame and wheels. I don't get much shop time and when I do I work with all the  neckbreaking  speed of a ruptured turtle.lol

• Like 3

JPWH

I've been collecting parts while working on the blast cabinets. Got a few parts blasted today. Hopefully I'll get some quality shop time this weekend.
NCM_0197.thumb.JPG.6e9a146ce521ad88790c1NCM_0195.thumb.JPG.bed1f8dd39eb7e3e02ebfNCM_0196.thumb.JPG.84a371c22832098b884f8

NCM_0194.JPG

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Your rolling along at a nice clip. Loaded for bear.

glenn

• Like 1

JC 1965

Lookin good, keep the pics coming.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1

JPWH

Got a few more parts blasted today which just added to my work load. I need to add a transmission mounting plate. There are no cracks but some deep pits that have weakened the plate. I took some time to work on the locked up 1533 bearings. Lots of pb blaster, patience, and TLC. InNCM_0201.thumb.JPG.86e89c3bd1b565fb984feNCM_0199.thumb.JPG.e2be879fa61406aba9926 Good news they are actually in decent shape. Spin free and smooth.

• Like 4

JPWH

I finally got a little more shop time. After blasting the front wheels I discovered the rust was worse than I thought so I had to do a little repair. While I had everything out I decided to repair the seat I acquired from a red square member as well. I always make sure I don't leave anything smoldering after welding and grinding so I sprayed some primer while I waited.
KIMG0012.thumb.jpg.a5a64a42aac4afbf6f75aKIMG0011.thumb.jpg.b791bc497b7db6eee9b1cKIMG0013.thumb.jpg.f1992b45dd411fb177366KIMG0015.thumb.jpg.a1b9fac063f4ba59b977fKIMG0017.thumb.jpg.eecb64e55f926655d18e5

KIMG0009.jpg

• Like 4

Aldon

That's some significant rust through. 

You hve your work cut out for you.

I would be be tempted to look at replacements.

• Like 3

JPWH

Believe me I thought about it. Once I got started it only took a couple hours. If I run across some at a good deal I may replace them later. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Think I've read, for that nasty rim rust through...
some people opting to use JB Weld with good results too. 
Your repairs look perfect, great
:wh: work Hank.  :handgestures-salute:

Edited by AMC RULES

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hank, your doing great in my opinion. Those rims scare me, but I am no metal guy either. Probably a snap for you.

glenn

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks guys the seat came out good but I still have more to do on the rims. It's so humid here in mid GA that I had to protect them from rusting again till I could get more play time. I will blast and finish repairs one at a time.

• Like 2

RedRanger

KIMG0009.jpg

You got more patience than I do.  I'd scrap those in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

JPWH

I have a couple more sets of wheels but they just don't look quite right. I'm not going for an all original restore but these wheels just look right to me. I look at it as a labor of love. Good thing too because this whole tractor needs LOTS AND LOTS of TLC. ;) 

• Like 4

AMC RULES
It's a good thing Hank...
that :wh: found you.
 :handgestures-thumbsup:
  • Like 1

mikekot3

Those rusted wheels are Not safe at all !!!

• Like 1