peterson9934

Mower deck won't disengage

peterson9934

I put a mower deck on my Commando 7 and it worked fine at first, but then the blades wouldn't disengage.  Suggestions?

boovuc

Just saw this post and sorry nobody got back to you. I only saw this once and it was my 857. I had the wrong belt on it and it wasn't making it loose enough to disengage the deck. The only other thing i could think of would be you have the belt on wrong.
Here is a pic of what it should look like disengaged. 

Commando 7 sideview.jpg

peterson9934

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I have the other commando 7.  Strange how it worked at first but then wouldn't disengage. Stalled the mower a couple of times at first too so maybe the belt is too small????

image.jpg

boovuc

I'm not familiar with the vertical shaft setup.
Sorry!

gwest_ca

Do you know the model number of your deck?
May be 5-7361 or  5-7362 These use a 8412 drive belt which is 1/2" x 86".
This is a later manual but suspect the design is the same
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1211-mower-rotary-36in-rd-1971-5-0610-ccw-om-ipl-a-5284pdf/

Garry

peterson9934

So the belt I have on now is a gates 1/2 x 85. According to the manual I need a 1/2 x 86. It says I need toro #8412. I think I'm reading that right. My model is 5-7361. 

Brian01

That's the good thing bout these old machines...easy to figure out...belts won disenguage, really can only be 1 of 2 problems, belt to small or clutch needs adjusted.

peterson9934

So 1 inch too small would prevent the  blades from disengaging?

Brian01

Oh Yes, very well could. I have a Electro 12.the belt is stretched out just a littlebiy..goes on flat land great but when trying to pull a hill, will cut out til it kills the engine and will just smoke the belt...I gotta order a new one.

1" worth of tension is just enough to keep it engaged for sure.

• Like 1

peterson9934

Going to get the right one this afternoon. Thanks everyone for the help. I REALLY appreciate it. 

Brian01

No problem...that's what we're here for! Welcome to Red Square! And don't forget to post some pics!

peterson9934

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

I am 99% sure this belt needs to be fabric covered and if it travels over a flat idler it should be a green Gates belt. They are designed to bend backwards because the cords are more central to the belt depth.

Garry

peterson9934

This is what they gave me. I gave them the Toro part #. BTW thanks Garry. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

peterson9934

Just wanted to finish this post....the new belt works.  There are two holes on the mower deck that the hook for the lever goes in to.  Didn't work when I hooked it to the front hole....worked when I hooked it to the rear hole.  Thanks again everybody.  Sorry it took so long to give an update.

• Like 1

Circus Red

Are there any belt tension adjustments for the . mower. The blades don’t always turn when engaged.  This model

says Wheelhorse Commando 8 with the vertical

output Tecumseh engine. My Springfield was better engineered with a power take off rather than another belt. 

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

May be something in these service bulletins that helps. This model is often referred to as a V8.

Here is everything we have on the 1970 model

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=1-4851&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Have you removed the deck cover to see the condition of the spring loaded belt idler? Remove the belt and turn both spindles by hand to check the spindle bearings. Bearings usually get tight when they start to fail and then get real loose and noisy.

Here is everything we have on one of the decks for this tractor. Different than what we normally see as the discharge is on the left and the blade spindles turn counter-clockwise. They also had a rear discharge model.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=5-2365&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Garry