Kegler

Carb (parts) cleaner

Kegler

Anyone have any suggestions on carb, or general parts, cleaners?  I had purchased a gallon can of cleaner with a  tray that is really convenient, but it doesn't do a very good job of cleaning.
Many years ago i used to buy a cleaner from a local auto parts shop that I think he bought in bulk, and then bottled in quarts. It almost looked like it had been used for something allready, If you let it set for a few hr's it would seperate into 2 very dirty looking  layers. He wouldn't tell anyone what it was, or where he got it, but man did it work. You could put a carb, or anything else for that matter, in it for a couple of hr's and it came out looking NEW. Haven't found anything as good since. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Theroundhousernr

I have been using the gunk brand carb cleaner and been very happy with it. Peels the paint right off of it and any gummed up areas in the bowl / carb. We will see how long it holds up. Have also heard of good things from berrymans carb dip. :eusa-whistle:

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 1

slammer302

I've been using berrymans it works good  you have to let stuff soak over night to really get stuff clean

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

I bought a gallon can with a strainer basket from NAPA. It works fairly well, but as you stated...The stuff we used 40 years ago would really clean stuff up.....and burn a hole in the ozone layer!

• Like 2

sorekiwi

I am happy with my can of Berrymans, but it is about 8 years old now.  I would not be surprised if I found out that the current recipe was "watered down" in comparison to the old stuff

• Like 1

Horse46

Not sure if it's available over there, but I use Wynns carb cleaner in a spray can, it took the paint off the outside of the carb in no time.Says on the tin no need to strip the carb just spray all over and inside all jets etc.

Kegler

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, The Berryman's, some unknown spray, (think it was brake cleaner) and some persistent probing of all the passages and I got it cleaned up and running.  Yes Horse46 we do have wynns products and mat try that next time.  Thanks again, Kegler