scott76

314-8, No Spark

scott76

Hi All - I've got an 314-8 that intermittently loses spark.  I've been battling it all summer.  One day I will go out and it will start.  The next day it won't.  I've replaced the ignition switch and that didn't do it.  I've cleaned all of the plugs for the all of the safety switches and that didn't help.   I'm not sure this is indicative of proper function, but all of the safety switch warning lights seem to be working to indicate when a switch is not in the correct position for the machine to operate.   I've bypassed the seat safety switch, but all the other switches are intact.  

The one thing I've noticed is that when the key is in the "accessory" position, there is a "clicking" noise that happens every five seconds or so. It sounds like sort of an electronic click, but I can't identify where it's coming from.  I can't seem to tie that noise to a specific event.  AND, I don't recall if it was happening the last time the tractor had spark and started. 

I've got to assume that this is some sort of simple electrical issue, but I can't figure it out.  I figured I'd put it out on this forum before bringing it to a repair shop and paying a ton to have it fixed.

Thanks for any help!

Horse46

Is there an electric fuel pump fitted?

scott76

I don't think there is an electric fuel pump, but honestly have no idea.   When it has spark, it runs fine, so I would assume (I know, bad idea) that fuel pump is not the issue?

Horse46

I was thinking that the clicking may be the fuel pump priming itself?

How have you arrived at intermittent spark, are you sure this is the case?

scott76

Ahhh... I will have to look into the fuel pump.  Maybe that will be the clicking. 

When it won't start, I have removed the spark plug from the motor, reconnected the spark plug wire and set the plug on the metal case over the motor.  No spark.   Then, seemingly randomly, sometimes, it will start sparking.  I put the plug back in and she starts up, most of the time.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. 

Horse46

I would have to try another plug first just incase, they can be faulty.

Dirty points could also be the cause. Get some of that reddish brown grit paper not to coarse and give the points a rub, then run a clean piece of paper through to remove any grit. Make sure its the reddish brown stuff though.

scott76

Maybe a very silly question, but where are the points?   I've tried a number of spark plugs (albeit they are all from the same place, so maybe they are all bad), so I would lean more towards cleaning the points.

Horse46

If its a Kolher engine they are (looking from the front) at the bottom of the left side at the front, under a little cover secured by 2 srews.

scott76

It is a Kohler, so I will check that out when I get home tonight.  Thanks!

buckrancher

the clicking sound is coming from the hour meter and which motor do you have K or M?

Brian

Edited by buckrancher