Cameron670

Hello All, First post

Cameron670

My introduction to Wheel Horse began in the summer of 1997, immediately following high school graduation. I worked at Howard's in Coudersport (former Tucker's) until November of that year. I assembled new units, and did maintenance & repair on Kubota, Wheel Horse & Ski-doo equipment. I remember seeing pictures of the 520xi that fall. If I recall, we got one unit in the fall just before I left. I always thought they were pretty neat. Well I got one last week in ROUGH shape. So far I got it un-stuck ( motor was ceased) & running well.  I have some questions on this machine, and after reviewing several sites & pages, this looks to be the best "spot" :)      For  "street cred"  I have attached a link to my shop video. 
Karl J. Crowell     (say Kroll)    Cheers !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gsPayJAGZU

• Like 3

Sprocket

No help here but Welcome On!

RedRanger

Nice "street cred"!  Welcome Karl.

WNYPCRepair

Beautiful work! Welcome. 

I wish I had paid more attention in machine shop class.  :(

Edited by WNYPCRepair

AMC RULES
:WRS:

muz123

welcome!

slovinski

Welcome aboard

Cameron670

Thanks guys, Who is the go-to guy for the xi series ?  I sea-foamed the motor & got it freed up over a few days. My biggest concern is the oil temp gauge. According to the gauge it gets REALLY hot just driving around. Not even mowing yet...... The oil pressure light comes on too, its sorta dim, but every now & then it is lit up.  I've only been running it 5 minutes at a time. Was thinking about putting a Tee into the block, and adding my own oil pressure gauge. Possibly the same on the oil temp. The screens by your knees are clean, and the cylinder fins are clean also. Other than that I'm very excited about it. Going to do an automotive style base-clear paint job, but want to get this engine drama straight first. I really like the long wheelbase & weight of the machine. Big front tires too, should ride smooth. I'll post some pics tonight. It's very faded.

KJC

Tankman

Nicely equipped shop! Welcome to the forums!  :icecream:

pfrederi

Welcome...very nice shop!!  Sorry but I can't help with anything newer than about 1980 :lol:

wrightorchid

impressive video.  Cleanest shop I've seen.  Welcome to the group.

JC 1965

Hi Karl, I can't help with the 520xi my tractors are mostly 300 series. Someone will chime in that is use to working on the Onan engines. You have some serious machining tools in your shop. You will be able to make most of your own parts. That's a great advantage now days cause everything cost so much. You will like it here at Red Square. Thanks for sharing the video and :WRS:

shallowwatersailor

Hi Karl,

Welcome to Red Square. I'm assuming that you have a Kohler Command version. There are a few of us that are pretty familiar with the 5xi series. I'm sure that a few others will chip in. I own three. 

I'm hoping that all you have is grass clippings packed up inside the engine shroud. The Kohler Command has a design problem with this occurring. In the engine manual it calls for the heads to be cleaned every 200 hours. The design has metal baffles around the cylinder head underneath the shroud. The only way to remove the shroud to remove the baffles is to pull the engine from the chassis. It's not difficult but getting at the four bolts isn't easy. The engine needs to be raised vertically to clear the engine drain assembly. the tractor is really designed well for dis-assembly but unfortunately creates a process to do it. Make sure that you mark the driveshaft for reinstalling the coupling.

The other cause could be rocker arm damage from overheating but check the clippings first

To make it easier for cleaning next time, Kohler does sell an access kit to be installed so that you can get at this area again in situ. The firewall clearance is the problem but Toro at least left some clearance once the access kit is installed. For example, the Simplicity Legacy uses a similar version of this engine and their firewall is right up against the shroud meaning the engine must be pulled each time.

• Like 1

Cameron670

Hi Karl,

Welcome to Red Square. I'm assuming that you have a Kohler Command version. There are a few of us that are pretty familiar with the 5xi series. I'm sure that a few others will chip in. I own three. 

I'm hoping that all you have is grass clippings packed up inside the engine shroud. The Kohler Command has a design problem with this occurring. In the engine manual it calls for the heads to be cleaned every 200 hours. The design has metal baffles around the cylinder head underneath the shroud. The only way to remove the shroud to remove the baffles is to pull the engine from the chassis. It's not difficult but getting at the four bolts isn't easy. The engine needs to be raised vertically to clear the engine drain assembly. the tractor is really designed well for dis-assembly but unfortunately creates a process to do it. Make sure that you mark the driveshaft for reinstalling the coupling.

The other cause could be rocker arm damage from overheating but check the clippings first

To make it easier for cleaning next time, Kohler does sell an access kit to be installed so that you can get at this area again in situ. The firewall clearance is the problem but Toro at least left some clearance once the access kit is installed. For example, the Simplicity Legacy uses a similar version of this engine and their firewall is right up against the shroud meaning the engine must be pulled each time.

This unit has 607 hours, and I'm pretty certain the previous owner never pulled the motor. I hope I'm wrong, but it may have never had the oil changed either. Sounds like the motor is coming out. I want this to last many years. I've already changed the oil once, the oil that is in there now has some sea foam in it, trying to rinse stuff out.

KJC

shallowwatersailor

It just depends on the previous owner. Most never followed that recommendation any way. Two of my three were well cared for. But they are very robust and with that many hours shouldn't be a problem.

55rj35jr

welcome!!;)