WNYPCRepair

Don't loan your stuff

WNYPCRepair

Loaned my friend my pressure washer. Got it back yesterday, got it out today to pressure wash the 520, it ran for less than a minute and seized solid. I checked the oil before I started, so no idea what is up with it. I guess I'll be pulling that apart next

oldredrider

That's one reason rental companies have a deposit. Last time I lent my power washer out it came back with a broken wand.

Edited by oldredrider

AMC RULES
Yep, the answer is in your title. 
  • Like 2

squonk

I lent a push mower to a neighbor once. It had a Tecky on it! :rolleyes: She mowed half her yard with it and stopped. Next day she comes over and says it won't start. I walk over and the carb is laying on the deck! :huh: I put the carb back on and she finishes. Mext time I use the mower I go to start it. Pull the cord and the whole motor spins around. All of the engine mounting bolts are missing! :wacko: True story! :confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 4

Coadster32

Was at home, listening to my neighbor cut his lawn. He never picked up sticks or rocks first. Heard the lawnmower hit a huge rock, and bent the shaft on his motor. He immediately asked me to borrow mine so he could finish. I told him try the other neighbor, after I stopped laughing.

• Like 6

mels

Yup.  Chainsaws and Wives, don't loan 'em out, they never come back the same...

:)

• Like 7

Ken B

I think Stevebo lent a tractor to a neighbor and they rolled it!  :hide:  Certain things I won't loan out, other things I really don't care. One of my neighbors had a quadruple by- pass a few yrs. ago, he is only 48, a yr. older than me. Kinda surprising because he takes excellent care of himself. For the past two yrs. I have let him use my snow blower every time it snows. (he doesn't have a place to store one) Its a real nice Toro 7/24. He was real hesitant about borrowing it because he didn't want to mess it up. He is somewhat mechanical and he ain't no dummy and has excellent common sense. I told him I bought it for 75 bucks at a swap meet and that I could care a less if it blows up or if it self implodes. I'd feel much worse if he keeled over lifting all the snow we have been getting! Now, when it comes to those neighbors that just don't care or have a clue, and we all know every neighborhood is at least half full of them... Well, all I can say is you just can't help everyone! Its kinda funny, I have determined over the yrs. its usually the people that ask for help are the ones that don't need it.

• Like 4

i know better than to loan anything out , but  recently after a co-worker asked repeatedly and promised to have it back in a few hours i loaned him my engine hoist...... three weeks later and several requests for it's return i had to go over to his place and drag it out of his garage

why can't someone figure out on his own that if he had brought it back as he promised i may consider loaning it to him again?  making me go hunt it down  he will never even see it again

• Like 2

82Caddy

Yep, I rarely loan things out or let people work on things at my house anymore.  I have a car hoist in my shop and people ask to use it all the time.  The last time I let someone use it the car was here for almost 3 weeks before I put it back on the ground and shoved it out the door and onto the street.  You can only ask so many times, you have the tools and equipment you do for a reason.

Aldon

Well I tend to be somewhere betwixt and between. I feel that I have been blessed in life and while some of that is due to my effort and luck of the draw, a much greater amount of credit goes to my maker. So I try to pay it forward as much as I can. As such, I will loan stuff using a triage scale. If I am using said item or will soon need to, then no loan is made, but then the scale softens. But as others have mentioned, there are those who you know will treat it appropriately and unfortunately those who you feel or know lack skill, caution or integrity. In those latter cases I am much less generous. But as I see most things in my life as loaned to me by my maker, then I treat them  as a wise steward. 

• Like 4

stevasaurus

I lent a push mower to a neighbor once. It had a Tecky on it! :rolleyes: She mowed half her yard with it and stopped. Next day she comes over and says it won't start. I walk over and the carb is laying on the deck! :huh: I put the carb back on and she finishes. Mext time I use the mower I go to start it. Pull the cord and the whole motor spins around. All of the engine mounting bolts are missing! :wacko: True story! :confusion-seeingstars:

Mike, if I needed to borrow a lawnmower from you, and you loaned me one with a Techumseh on it...I would do the same thing.  Of course the carburetor is on the deck, that is the first thing to go...and if I had the time to get the engine loose, it would become structure in a river and probably have a Bass hiding behind it.  :deadhorse:  :rolleyes:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 4

squonk

My whacky neighbor  of 27 yrs just split with his wife and moved into an apartment. For the past 20 yrs. he has asked to borrow a sledge hammer. I didn't own a sledge hammer but every year he would ask. He cleaned out his garage last month. I'm in my garage and he yells to me, Mike do you want a sledge hammer? :rolleyes:He's holding this old sledge hammer. I now own a sledge hammer! :)

Steve, If I had a Tecky powered push mower and you wanted to borrow it, I first would have questioned your sanity. Then I would have said take it and don't dare bring it back!:lol:

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I think I found the problem. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

I'm no mechanic, but that doesn't look quite right

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I've decided that if the $120 engine at Harbor Freight doesn't just bolt right up to my pressure washer, which I doubt, I'm just going to replace it, since the pump on my model was apparently defective and was replaced by a different model. 

If you had a choice between an EPA III or a CARB engine, which would you choose? HF has two different models of pressure washers, the only difference is engine certification. I'm not a motorhead, so I don't really know the difference. :)

Forest Road

I have stuff I'll loan and other stuff not a chance in...... I have an elderly neighbor at the vacation house who offered to mow the lawn for me last year, we weren't going to be able to get there between July4 & Labor Day. I let him use my 314h 42 RD. He immediately says he'll use his 22" Craftsman push mower. I insist and begin WH Drivers Ed w Matts foot pedal. Needless to say he was in love. Well he wouldn't go up or down the one hill we have. I insisted he not mow it at all. Turns out he's stubborn and insists on doing a great job. Drags his mower 1/3 mile down a dirt road and proceeds to hit a stump. The Crapsman self destructed. Amazing how much better he follows my directions since that day. BTW my 314 didn't have so much as a hiccup all summer! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sparky

If you had a choice between an EPA III or a CARB engine, which would you choose? HF has two different models of pressure washers, the only difference is engine certification. I'm not a motorhead, so I don't really know the difference. :)

Is there a difference in price?
Mike..........

WNYPCRepair

Is there a difference in price?
Mike..........

No, same price. Although visiting the store, I only see the one type, so maybe CARB is only available in CA? I just wondered if one robbed more power than the other. :)

Sparky

Sounds like the decision has been made for ya :D . All I ever hear is good feedback about those motors.
Good luck with it.
Mike.....

• Like 1

c-series don

Ok one more rule to follow. If one needs to borrow something twice in one year, one needs to purchase said item! 

• Like 2

KC9KAS

What does "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" mean?

It means that it's the "best" way to lose friends. If you lend a friend something and s/he either never returns it or returns it damaged, it puts you in an awkward position. Do you say, "Oh, that's okay." when it's really not? Do you ask them for money to replace or repair the item if they don't offer it up front?

If you borrow something, it weighs on your mind until you return it. You're not really comfortable with the lender until you get the item back to them.

Before you borrow something (usually something you don't use often so wouldn't ordinarily buy), you should know that if you break it, you can afford to replace it for the owner.

If you're a good borrower, it's almost got to be in better shape than when you borrowed it in order for you to feel right! Or you feel like you have to bake cookies to thank them.

It depends on the deepness of your friendship. Some friendships can withstand a bad loan. Some valued friendships are destroyed forever.

So it's referring to the possibility of something bad happening to the borrowed item. Of course, this doesn't usually happen, thankfully!
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Yep, if I borrow something and break it, I will replace it

DougL3

Neighbor was trimming hedges with some electric trimmers a few years ago.  After he cuts his last extension cord, he hollars over and asks to borrow one of mine!  No chance in he** bud, but you're welcome to use the gas trimmer that the other neighbor gave me...

• Like 1

rick

I am still missing a pick, I believe I lent my son-in-law- "No, we don't have a pick here", worst thing is now I have to replace it with a damned Chinese made tool. God, I hate this "global economy"

Wheel-N-It

Mike, if I needed to borrow a lawnmower from you, and you loaned me one with a Techumseh on it...I would do the same thing.  Of course the carburetor is on the deck, that is the first thing to go...and if I had the time to get the engine loose, it would become structure in a river and probably have a Bass hiding behind it.  :deadhorse:  :rolleyes:

A good friend gave me a lawnmower with a tecky on it. At least I thought he was a good friend.....................................:deadhorse:LOL

• Like 1