Bach-Ed

mowing and how do I aim?

Bach-Ed

I was out using my 857 mowing and started to wonder how good are my asumptions.  My normal practice is to use the inside edge of the front tire as the way to align with the previous cut area.  But this means I am not cutting as wide a swath as I could each pass.  My logic is the front tire pushes the grass down so that it will not be cut properly.   But if that is not a valid concept I'm "losing" several inches of cut.  So what is your opinion, am I making a lot of extra trips atound the lawn?

953 nut
The more overlap you have the more seat time you get, may want to half-lap and get even more seat time!  :woohoo:
  • Like 7

daveoman1966

Whether a 42 or 48" deck, the 'baffles' on the bottom side of the deck, along with the angle end of the blades are designed to create a vacuum to 'stand up' the grass after your front tire/wheel has ran over and packed it down.  In effect, a wind tunnel or tornado (for lack of a better word) is created under the deck within the baffles to cut grass evenly.  This works quite well in dry grass, but is compromised when cutting wet or extremely tall grass. 
So, you are losing efficiency by 're-cutting' as you described.  With my 48" deck, I guide the OUTSIDE EDGE of the front wheel to 4 or 5 inches INSIDE the prior cut.  When turning a close radius, close that path by the width of front tire so as not to leave an uncut strip.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
The more overlap you have the more seat time you get, may want to half-lap and get even more seat time!  :woohoo:

A couple beers before you get in the seat, another for the cup holder...
then stab it and go. Pretty sure you'll have all kinds of overlap going on
:lol:

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

I think that it is done more by "feel." I use three different tractors to cut my grass. They are my C-105 with a 42" RD, C-145 with a 48" SD, and a 518xi with a 48" SD. After the show, the 523Dxi will join the mix with a 52" SD. It depends on how tall the grass is. I try to cut it every five-six days but the weather has not been cooperatve. With three different (four) horsepowers, I have found that the C-145 will bog down the easiest in tall grass. It probably would not if I had a 42" SD or RD on it, Right now the grass has gotten taller than normal due to the rain so it could be interesting tomorrow when I get a chance to cut it 

Racinbob

A couple beers before you get in the seat, another for the cup holder...
then stab it and go. Pretty sure you'll have all kinds of overlap going on
:lol:

An important thing to keep in mind it the fact that the beer goes flat fast when bouncing on a tractor. Be sure to drink them quickly before that happens. Have the wife trained to hand off refills from the deck.

• Like 3

oaktown1987

Whether a 42 or 48" deck, the 'baffles' on the bottom side of the deck, along with the angle end of the blades are designed to create a vacuum to 'stand up' the grass after your front tire/wheel has ran over and packed it down.  In effect, a wind tunnel or tornado (for lack of a better word) is created under the deck within the baffles to cut grass evenly.  This works quite well in dry grass, but is compromised when cutting wet or extremely tall grass. 
So, you are losing efficiency by 're-cutting' as you described.  With my 48" deck, I guide the OUTSIDE EDGE of the front wheel to 4 or 5 inches INSIDE the prior cut.  When turning a close radius, close that path by the width of front tire so as not to leave an uncut strip.

It's a cross shaft deck it doesn't have baffles Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevasaurus

The grass in Illinois grows faster then anywhere else in the nation.  I try to mow it once a week, but sometimes it gets rain delayed one or two days.  I've been using a 36" RD deck on the 857.  This means that sometimes it is 1st gear, 1/2 lap when it is real long...then I will go over it again in 2nd gear kind of mulching it.  Normally, I can mow in 2nd gear, but I will still over lap a little.  I do get a nice cut...but it always looks great after a little Rock & Rye.  :)

• Like 1

Bach-Ed

Well Illinois was originally a prairie, so I guess it's not hard to imagine out grass grows fast.  This year is worst than usual I will admit.  I have been mowing every 4 or 5 days (I'm retired) and with the rain it has been a challenge  I mow in first all the time, I have some steep areas to climb and I don't want to keep shifting all the time.  I had a small riding mower and it was inadequate for the slopes, my WH never struggles.

stevasaurus

Retired also...that's why I do not have time anymore.  :) 

• Like 1

squonk

You IL guys are slackers! :):ychain: It's every 3 days here. I have to mow before I leave for the show. With the weather forecast for here it will be Monday. That means I will come home to a hay lot! :rolleyes:

Bach-Ed

Perfect reason to buy a sickle mower attachment, so you can mow hay.  As if one needs a reason to buy another attachment.

slovinski

I line up the inside front tire with my 855 also,  they are 36" decks,  a few inch's here or there wont make a big difference as long as you have the time.  But that's just me and im as blind as a bat to try and do it any other way

Tankman

Or take the deck spindle belt off! Honest Hon, I'll clean up the garage soon as I'm done mowin'.  :ph34r:

Digger 66

So what is your opinion,

Lemmie go ask my neighbor about "aim" .
He's pretty darn good , it all ends up on my driveway 
:angry-nono:

lobo

Hello, Finally a topic that I have some knowledge about, I mow about 7 acres with my 48in deck on ether one of my mowers and beleive me I get alot of  seat time. Anyway I use the antiscalp rollers as a guide, just put them where the outside edge is riding at the outside of last pass, seems to give me the best cut, just my two cents.

• Like 1