C-125WH

Electric Fuel pump on C-125 Spraying fuel from carb

C-125WH

Hey Guys,
First time posting here. Just recently bought my first home, I have an acre to mow. I have my grandfathers old c-125 with a Kohler k-301. I stopped getting fuel pressure and parked it years ago. Recently I got it back out and decided to get it going for the new place. I bought a brand new pump, you know the plastic knock off kind? Well the motor is not hitting the arm on the pump to make it pump. So I bought a electric fuel pump that puts out 3-6 psi. Now the mower somewhat runs, it is flooding and spraying fuel out the front of the carb. Is this because the pump is too powerful, or is something wrong with the carb? Mind you I can work on anything, I work on cars all the time but don't know jack when it comes to carbs. Thanks in advance to any help.

slammer302

the float might not be closing all the way does it leak gas out the carb when its shut off?

Edited by slammer302

gwest_ca

I believe 3-6 psi is what a carbureted auto requires. Too much pressure for the small float on a small engine. 1-2 psi should be plenty.
http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
:WRS:  Always glad to see a Wheel Horse being appreciated by subsequent generations of a family. A new needle and seat in the carburetor should do the job. Lots of "low pressure" electric fuel pumps being used on Kohlers.
:text-welcomeconfetti:

JC 1965

That might be too much pressure. I have electric fuel pumps on 3 of my tractors and they are rated 1 to 3 PSI. I haven't had any problems with any of them. Hope this helps.

Fordiesel69

Bend the arm on the knock off pump.  Throw the electric away.  Keep it simple.

C-125WH

All sound like great ideas I'll try bending that arm first moneys tight. Ill let you guys know how that goes. Thank you

953 nut
midpack is using a pump that is rated at 3 to 6 psi and it works well, don't think pressure is the problem.

C-125WH

I am using the same pump as midpack. So I am left to assume that it is a carb issue.

pacer

I'd bet that its gonna be a bad needle & seat thats sticking, I'm running 5 of that type pump and granted they wont stand for a marginal needle/seat, it has to be a good seal. I had a carb that was doing OK til I added the lectric and then it would stick on occasion, I finally put a new needle/seat in it and that fixed it.

• Like 2

squonk

I'd bet that its gonna be a bad needle & seat thats sticking, I'm running 5 of that type pump and granted they wont stand for a marginal needle/seat, it has to be a good seal. I had a carb that was doing OK til I added the lectric and then it would stick on occasion, I finally put a new needle/seat in it and that fixed it.

Same with me.

• Like 3

midpack

As part of the resurrection process I underwent for my 175, i disassembled the carb to make sure it was clean. I did look at the seat under a microscope at work, it was in very good shape, nice and clean. i had gotten a gasket kit that included a new seat but the original looked so good I left it. i did use the new needle though. maybe that's all you need?

C-125WH

Sorry I haven't updated in a long time on this. I bought another running Wheel Horse and have been using it all summer. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding the carb tonight. It was an issue with the needle and I am happy to say it is running great! Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'm so happy to have my grandfathers lawnmower up and running.

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/matthew.barker.359/videos/10153315134596379/"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/matthew.barker.359/videos/10153315134596379/"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/matthew.barker.359/videos/10153315134596379/"></a><p>Just finished up my Kohler K301 rebuild on my 1980&#039;s C125 Wheelhorse.</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/matthew.barker.359">Matthew Barker</a> on Thursday, October 29, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Tuneup
      By Tuneup
      Hi all,
      Summary: Solid mounts a year ago were very nice. Removed balance gears last December. Unacceptable. Installed eBay originals in good condition. I can ride it again at full throttle AND keep my fillings.

Long story (I have the day off):
      A thread inspired me last December to look and see if my balance gears were doing well and the rear one was a wobbler. Removed them. She was burning too much oil - original rebuild was just a stone hone and power was not as it should be - it took months to get it bored .020. Hard to find in GA. Installed everything and started her up. Solid mounts USED to be great! That old off-idle vibration that shook the hood was gone thanks to those mounts. A little more vibration was OK. After the removal of the balance gears - NOT! The thing makes my butt numb and I can't mow at higher than about 2500 RPM. The hood vibrates just too much.
      Decided to shop Flea Bay for some used, but OK, mounts. Toro prices are . . . the usual Toro prices. Mine were shot and tossed in the bin. Easily installed, right?

I thought in my ignorance that I could just remove a solid mount one at a time and pop-in the originals. Heck, the mount rubber has to be pressed in! Who knew? My old ones weren't like this at the restoration years ago.

Delayed while I figured how to pull the engine on my own. I used to just throw it up on the bench but I've grown more cautious. No buds around in the AM for assistance. Tied some 10 gauge wire around a 2x3. Put one end on the table saw and lifting was easy. Still have to lift the weight but no bending and it was going on the floor. Dead lift at knee level. Pulled the 2x3 across the table to extend the engine to the side of the tractor and let her down slowly.

Engine bay still pretty clean and the engine oil was due for its 1 hour drop after the rebuild anyway. Looked fine.

How to get those mounts in? Tried a C clamp and a socket as a spacer - too clumsy. Greased them up nicely and got longer bolts - tightening them a bit at a time and nudging the mounts into the hole with a blunt object. Turned out not to be a bother!

I've learned not to throw things away. It always seems that you need something the day after it's in the garbage truck. I still had the grounding lead and the large mount washers.

The wife assisted in the re-installation. Kinda' freaked her out. Back in place, and I got to clean the lower engine area from that minor oil leak around the fuel pump. Attracted grass clippings like a magnet.

A few bulb squeezes to start her up and, glorious! No more teeth chattering and I can take her up to 3600 if I like - sounds wonderful and she tore through the deep, deep crab grass. Don't discount those mounts. Sure, that off idle vibration is back and stronger than before. Nothing like a fresh bore for power. Something to spend time on tomorrow.

Now, what to do with these?

• Tuneup
      By Tuneup
      So gang, it's Christmas time and my company has extended its forced vacation to two weeks, sucking 7 days of FTO from me. I've got all kinds of things to do for the wifey-poo but what the heck can I do for me?
      I've got two K301s so may as well get out the surgical tools and do a b-gearectomy. The C-125 goes first. Restored that back in '17 and so she's got maybe 75 hours on her. It'll be rather painless and the youngster is visiting so can assist in getting that b-itch up onto the bench. She's already been moved to the garage and the old Kawi and its carb parts moved back to the shed while I search for tiny o-rings. Wish me luck and pics to come. Oh, there is no rattle BUT she's always had a minor knock I chalk-up to excessive end play (didn't measure it back then 'cause I'm bad but, dang!, will now).
    • Jeff-C175
      By Jeff-C175
      I put together a replacement for the missing clutch handle today.  I like it so much I'm going to make one for my C-175 also!

Now I need to figure out how come it's not staying DISengaged.  It EASILY jumps off the detent at the slightest touch.  It appears to be a new bracket / lever, judging from the paint on it, but I have not investigated further yet.  Wonder if anyone has run into this and solved it?

What is the correct routing for the throttle cable?  This just CAN'T be correct!  It's right on the cooling fins of the engine, it's done melted the skin off the cable!  Maybe it's a replacement cable and simply too short?
      If someone could post a pic of the correct routing it would be much appreciated!

While looking that over I noticed some oil 'weepage' at the front of the engine.  To me it appears to be concentrated right under the fuel pump.  I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?

The only other suspect is the valve cover but and that appears to be a little weepy too, but  more so the fuel pump. 

What say you K301 gurus?

• hotajax
      By hotajax
      Morning -  Looking for a carb.  There are plenty of carbs on the 'net, but 99% do not fit because of the choke configuration.

Background info:  Engine - K321S, 14 Horse Kohler.
      Choke control cable is routed to come from BELOW the carb.  To close the choke, pull on the choke knob, the choke shaft rotates counter clockwise, and the finger tab sits at the 10 o'clock position.
      To open the choke, push on the choke knob, the choke shaft rotates clockwise, and the tab sits at the 1 o'clock position.

Where can I get his carb?  Thanks in advance. 

• 67 WH 877
      By 67 WH 877
      When I purchased my WH (67 T877) it had the incorrect oil bath filter on it (it bent the front of the grill out) I took it off and placed a regular filter using just the oil bath cover. My question is...is it ok to run these Kohlers without the oil bath filters? I know they are better filters, but Im curious if the modern filters are sufficient.