Ed Kennell

Key Way Fix

eddiebunyan

I just welded the key onto the axle,ground the weld flush so it would fit the hub.Been years no and no problem!

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

The only negative to a welded in key....you cant replace an axle seal.

• Like 1

eddiebunyan

Good point! If I should do that again I'll make sure to change the seal first,Thanks.

ohiofarmer

I have enough extra this and that that I might use some JB weld.  If that does not work, i have this great machinist buddy who can cut a keyway. He even offered to cut a long one for a regular key and not a Woodruff

• Excellent 1

Lee1977
On 1/29/2021 at 12:21 PM, ohiofarmer said:

I have enough extra this and that that I might use some JB weld.  If that does not work, i have this great machinist buddy who can cut a keyway. He even offered to cut a long one for a regular key and not a Woodruff

I had a friend to do that to my 312-8  The little 1" key on the 1" axle ate away at the cast iron hub the 80 lbs of weight didn't help either.  Cut new full length keyways in the axle and hub, we'll see how that holds up.

SAM-1402.jpg

• Like 3

Rick 55 BB

Ok guys , help me out here . I have a 1976 C-120 with a sunstrand 90-1136 , I took it apart to fix the key ways in the axles and hubs . I want to put it back like factory . My neighbor has a machine shop and has done a couple for me before , I have been looking for the correct woodruff keys for this tractor or at least the measurements of them . Thanks for any help . Rick 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Rick 55 BB said:

fix the key ways

How bad are they Rick?  Pictures?

The key is PROBABLY the same as most others.  WH part # 937108 but MIGHT BE a shorter # 937097 (not likely though)

image.png.2dcbd31244ebb9894b37226f8e384b57.png

The 937108 is a 1/4" x 1-3/8" Woodruff key ( also known as a #22 industry standard number )

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/937108-woodruff-key-for-wheel-horse/

The 937097 is a 1/4" x 1" Woodruff key ( also known as a #15 industry standard number )

image.png.1298f9b0d91972c63e963742c034c4f5.png

If your hubs have only one setscrew, highly suggest that you add a SECOND one 90° around from the first.  Doesn't need a key, just the set screw.  Your friend should be able to easily drill and tap and ALSO machine a FLAT SPOT for the jam nut to sit on the hub.

Loctite 660 is some pretty amazing stuff.

You don't NEED the primer he uses, that only speeds the cure.

I had a wallowed out key way on one of my machines about 5 or more years ago.  It was pretty bad... used some 660 and a new hub (the hub was way worse than the keyway!) and it's been fine ever since.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Rick 55 BB
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

How bad are they Rick?  Pictures?

The key is PROBABLY the same as most others.  WH part # 937108 but MIGHT BE a shorter # 937097 (not likely though)

image.png.2dcbd31244ebb9894b37226f8e384b57.png

The 937108 is a 1/4" x 1-3/8" Woodruff key ( also known as a #22 industry standard number )

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/937108-woodruff-key-for-wheel-horse/

The 937097 is a 1/4" x 1" Woodruff key ( also known as a #15 industry standard number )

image.png.1298f9b0d91972c63e963742c034c4f5.png

If your hubs have only one setscrew, highly suggest that you add a SECOND one 90° around from the first.  Doesn't need a key, just the set screw.  Your friend should be able to easily drill and tap and ALSO machine a FLAT SPOT for the jam nut to sit on the hub.

Loctite 660 is some pretty amazing stuff.

You don't NEED the primer he uses, that only speeds the cure.

I had a wallowed out key way on one of my machines about 5 or more years ago.  It was pretty bad... used some 660 and a new hub (the hub was way worse than the keyway!) and it's been fine ever since.

• Like 1

Rick 55 BB
Just now, Rick 55 BB said:

Thank you Jeff-C175  , Just the info I needed , had all that info but couldn't put 2 and 2 together . I have no pictures , but the were real bad , the mounting plate on the back of the frame was all broken and cracked . I made the 2x2 angle braces and welded them in , so that part is fixed . Seems like every one i take apart have these same problems . My neighbor that fixes my axles and hubs just smiles when he sees me walking up his drive carrying things to fix . lol We are both retired and just do this stuff to stay busy . I printed off chart to put on my tool box this time  Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
45 minutes ago, Rick 55 BB said:

retired

Me too since last August and lovin' it !  My "Treasurer" will ask me what day it is sometimes... and I say "Saturday" !  Every day is Saturday ! 

• Excellent 1

Dans 414-8

Just a thought what if one would go on the opposite side and grind a new key way in  ?  daniel  aka dans414-8

• Like 1

Jakeshorsetuff

Yes Daniel, I’ve had a machine shop weld up the original key slot and cut a nice new one on the opposite side. Since that fix I have never had a problem and works like new! 

• Like 1

Searcher60
On 6/7/2015 at 4:14 PM, Ed Kennell said:

In a previous post of my Commando 8 redo, I discussed repairing the wallowed out key way in  the axle.    Instead I replaced the 3 speed with one I had on the shelf.
Today while rooting out some  potential items for the SHOW, there was that 3 speed. 
So today I made a stab at the repair.      I made a dummy key from a piece of 3/16 brass , welded around it, and ground/filed it down.   Only time will tell if the weld will hold up to the torque.
IMG_4346.thumb.JPG.d59b73fb80b3808726c97IMG_4347.thumb.JPG.43feda7a46b7e72e7b393
IMG_4349.thumb.JPG.e7436199e4493783675e5

What welding process did you use that did not melt the brass? Great job! Thanks.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, Searcher60 said:

What welding process

Just an el-cheapo Harbor Freight  mig with 0.035" flux core wire.

Handy Don
On 12/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Just an el-cheapo Harbor Freight  mig with 0.035" flux core wire.

If you scan some of the reviews on the dedicated welding sites you’ll discover that several of the HF welders have earned surprisingly good marks.

The inverter technology and the inductance control make take away a lot of the flux core spatter.

• Like 1